If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
i guess my main thing is if we get a bonified D and Center that would be awesome and it doesnt have to be a young 23 year start but someone like i mentioned in Kopitar who has a 2 Cups can play both sides of the rink and be a good role modeal for Veleno and Ras, Fabbri even Larkin. also people mentioning Vantenen i love that as well older guy that can come in and teach and still play at a high level.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Two possible centers:

Joe Pavelski or Faska.

ultimately I think the stars can make their cap sheet work for the season so maybe not as realistic as I first thought. I was looking for a cap strapped team that could potentially move a C.

Maybe Derek Stepan? Not a sexy option but he could be had very cheap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
how much could we realistically offer?

Id love to add those pieces but I struggle to see how we could provide the value to land those pieces

Maybe look for a team with a log jam, or take a guy who is a little overpaid?

I would not have minded adding Wennberg even prior to Columbus waiving him. Would have liked him as a free agent too. Something along those lines would be solid in my eyes. I would still be happy with adding TJ, always liked him as a player.

I have seen OEL floated out as on the trade block, I’d at least kick the tires on that. I’d also look into someone like Skjei, Ghost, Hanifin, etc.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe look for a team with a log jam, or take a guy who is a little overpaid?

I would not have minded adding Wennberg even prior to Columbus waiving him. Would have liked him as a free agent too. Something along those lines would be solid in my eyes. I would still be happy with adding TJ, always liked him as a player.

I have seen OEL floated out as on the trade block, I’d at least kick the tires on that. I’d also look into someone like Skjei, Ghost, Hanifin, etc.

If Hanifin is available, I'd love to see us get in on that. A big, young lefty to play next to Seider and Hronek for the next 5-7 years? Yes, please.

At center, I'm to the point where I'd be happy if we just went out and signed Haula. Seeing the guys still out there makes me really wish we hadn't went after Ryan and Namestnikov so quickly, or re-signed Biega/Erne.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Borrowing a bit from Wheeler here, but the type of trades I'd want the Wings to make this year and next year would have us double-dip on expensive players. For example, trading something like the Oilers 2nd this year for Killorn and TBL's 2022 1st. Then, next deadline, you try and move Killorn with half salary retained for another first (or a decent return).

Similarly, I'd be happy to make a three-way deal where we take Fleury from VGK, eat half his salary, then ship him to CAR for ideally a 1st.

Not sexy moves for the present obviously, but effective options to strengthen our position for the '21 and '22 drafts, which I hope are our last two really key drafts in rebuilding the team's core.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Realistic trade targets that wouldn't cost a total fortune and would benefit the Wings, hmm...

Matt Dumba comes to mind. He's actively on the trade block for the Wild but Guerin hasn't liked the offers so far.

26-year-old right shot defender signed at $6 million for the next 3 years. Sounds about perfect for the Wings timeline and needs as they transition Seider and others onto the blueline.

I like Dumba a lot, but he doesn't make much sense unless he's a left side defenseman.
There were 2 types of defenseman I was interested in...
1) A LD to play top 4.
2) A RD to play third pairing, but good enough to bump up and also be our defensive rock when things go south for the kids.

Instead we got Staal, Merril and Stecher.
I don't really mind any of those moves. But they don't answer much for us, hockey-wise.

My trade, still, is get Tyler Johnson for a first.

Reactions: Winger98

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Excuse my post. I thought it was the main board - not the Wings forum. Carry on... Haha

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Hanifin is available, I'd love to see us get in on that. A big, young lefty to play next to Seider and Hronek for the next 5-7 years? Yes, please.

Could potentially shave a year off of the re-build if we feel good about the centers in this upcoming class... IMO.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I like Dumba a lot, but he doesn't make much sense unless he's a left side defenseman.
There were 2 types of defenseman I was interested in...
1) A LD to play top 4.
2) A RD to play third pairing, but good enough to bump up and also be our defensive rock when things go south for the kids.

Instead we got Staal, Merril and Stecher.
I don't really mind any of those moves. But they don't answer much for us, hockey-wise.

My trade, still, is get Tyler Johnson for a first.

I have no disagreement to any of this. I made my suggestion with a few parameters.

1) Isn't ancient
2) Is actually good
3) Won't cost a fortune (different than cheap)
4) Is actually on the trade block

Once you filter for those, it's a really small list of guys right now.

And I also operate from the position that prospects, even the good ones, are still unknown quantities at the NHL level, so I don't pencil them into top line roles for the next decade unless they are a generational talent. We've projected up dozens of bluelines with our prospects for the last decade and it's still basically at square one.

So if Dumba, Hronek, and Seider were redundant in 2-3 years... I trade from a position of strength. You're not going to struggle to find a good return for having too many top 4 defenders.

Reactions: Gniwder

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I have no disagreement to any of this. I made my suggestion with a few parameters.

1) Isn't ancient
2) Is actually good
3) Won't cost a fortune (different than cheap)
4) Is actually on the trade block

Once you filter for those, it's a really small list of guys right now.

And I also operate from the position that prospects, even the good ones, are still unknown quantities at the NHL level, so I don't pencil them into top line roles for the next decade unless they are a generational talent. We've projected up dozens of bluelines with our prospects for the last decade and it's still basically at square one.

So if Dumba, Hronek, and Seider were redundant in 2-3 years... I trade from a position of strength. You're not going to struggle to find a good return for having too many top 4 defenders.

I think Hronek, despite needing work, has already demonstrated he's an NHLer.
I think Seider is the most sure thing prospect the wings have had in a long time.
The ceiling isn't a sure thing. But the floor feels pretty sturdy. So I want him playing 17-20 as a rookie unless he falls apart.
I want Hronek playing his 22. The 24 he played last year was probably too much.

So for me, I'm looking at a guy who plays 17-20 minutes a night.

Dumba, frankly, is too good.
He should be a first PP guy. He should be a 22-23 minute a night guy.
And on Detroit, he should be a 25 minute a night guy - based solely on how good he is.

I'd rather have Brodin. Left side. Can pair with one of the rookies to ease them in.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd rather have Brodin. Left side. Can pair with one of the rookies to ease them in.

This was a consideration in the summer, but Brodin just signed a 7 year extension with the Wild that includes a no movement clause. He's not going anywhere, so I circled back to the defender available in Dumba.

I still like the Tyler Johnson proposal but it's been covered at length and it seems ownership may not approve? Hard to imagine why it wouldn't be done already otherwise.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe they should sign, but I'm sure he'll stay at Islanders for cheap. Greene has so long reputation with Lamoriello. He is the "last guy to sign with right caphit until cap with RFAs and LTIR is fixed" -guy.

Vatanen is the player type we are missing. Still Hronek is the only decent PP quarterback. Expect Cholowski to be at Griffs.
Islanders probably won;t have cap space to sign Greene depending on Barzal's contract. They just put Boychuk on LTIR to make space. They do need another D, but it'd have to be league minimum. Wings could offer up $2 or 3M, the guy has a house in Trenton, he doesn't even need to move.

Vantanen would probably be more interesting though, at least he has some offense, Greene doesn;t.

Because that's boring AF.
This team is boring AF, lol.

We could go back to discussing AA or Duclair again, if it pleases the court.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The other aspect is that I'd rather have a solid NHL defenseman "on their wrong side" for 1-2 years than continue to play AHL caliber guys "on their right side".

Goaltending and defensive play that isn't historically awful will go a long way towards making this a more watchable product, even if the offense doesn't get a similar boost.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
This was a consideration in the summer, but Brodin just signed a 7 year extension with the Wild that includes a no movement clause. He's not going anywhere, so I circled back to the defender available in Dumba.

I still like the Tyler Johnson proposal but it's been covered at length and it seems ownership may not approve? Hard to imagine why it wouldn't be done already otherwise.
the legorocks utube guy suggested Johnson for Z's contract and maybe something plus. I have doubts - but interesting. I have the feeling that TBL's ace in the hole is Stamkos sitting on LTIR until the PO's again

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
the legorocks utube guy suggested Johnson for Z's contract and maybe something plus. I have doubts - but interesting. I have the feeling that TBL's ace in the hole is Stamkos sitting on LTIR until the PO's again

I don't care if it's only a transactional trade, I don't want to think about Zetterberg's name on any other roster.

That said, this makes sense on paper.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So $11.1M cap/wiggle room w/Z,in the year TB needs it the most, that ought to be worth Cirelli (or equivalent value in 1sts=2) + late 1st 4 yrs of TJ dump + LTIR Z 1yr., they can reload & repeat. Stamkos is LTIR anyday now, so probably moot.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
My answer is no one. I am fine building through the draft. Trades that get us picks and prospects are okay with me but that is not exactly "bringing someone in"

If we can trade cap or players that no longer have a future with us like Helm for picks I am all for that. Other than that trying to bring someone in is basically like Toronto/Kessel. Trades are important to building but you can't build exclusively through trade and timing your trades wrong can kill your franchise for years if not decades.

I see absolutely nothing but risk "bringing someone in" right now.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I see absolutely nothing but risk "bringing someone in" right now.

I'm the opposite. Trading for known performers at the expense of draft picks/prospects feels like the less risky way to get what you want rather than hoping you pick the right player then develop them correctly in the next 5 years.

The big downside is you likely miss out on cost controlled years.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm the opposite. Trading for known performers at the expense of draft picks/prospects feels like the less risky way to get what you want rather than hoping you pick the right player then develop them correctly in the next 5 years.

The big downside is you likely miss out on cost controlled years.
I think that's why you target middle of the road players in a trade. Second pairing defensemen kinda guys, where they're just a 2-3 year placeholder that doesn't break the bank while the kids develop.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I would as far as defensemen go trade for Dougie Hamilton. He is still young at 27. We could also sign him as an UFA 2021-2022. Goalie Korpisalo from Columbus. Forward Filip Forsberg Nashville

After losing Smith, Granlund, Turris, and Bonino, we would have to pay out the ass to get Forsberg from Nashville. For a team that desperately needs scoring, them moving their better player wouldnt be smart.

Luke Witkowski for Adam Erne

I'm on board lol I miss Witkowski.

Seriously, if we add someone, get someone from Free Agency. That way we could potentially move them at the deadline for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad