If you could have ONE player back or (The One That Got Away)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I see a lot of posts in the NHL thread about guys that used to play here whether it was months ago or years ago. "Connolly has 10 goals", "Burakovsky is doing well", "We lost the Bowey trade", "Grubauer is good", "Zanford had a 4 point night tonight", ok no one said that last one but it did just happen.

It got me thinking how many decent to really good ex-Capital players there are out there right now. So I pose the question: If you could have one current NHL'er back who would it be? Feel free to post why as well.

I'll start: As much as I want to say Filip Forsberg it's Nate Schmidt and it's not even close. Can you imagine having him and John Carlson on the same team?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I see a lot of posts in the NHL thread about guys that used to play here whether it was months ago or years ago. "Connolly has 10 goals", "Burakovsky is doing well", "We lost the Bowey trade", "Grubauer is good", "Zanford had a 4 point night tonight", ok no one said that last one but it did just happen.

It got me thinking how many decent to really good ex-Capital players there are out there right now. So I pose the question: If you could have one current NHL'er back who would it be? Feel free to post why as well.

I'll start: As much as I want to say Filip Forsberg it's Nate Schmidt and it's not even close. Can you imagine having him and John Carlson on the same team?

I don't think this is as interesting to keep it current so I will rebel and say Stevens. I'm generally not a what if/hindsight-BS person but I am curious the path the franchise might have made retaining him.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It's easily Filip Forsberg. Like, it's not even close. Schmidt isn't in the same stadium of impact or ability.

I don’t disagree but if the caps retained forsberg, would they have acquired Oshie? I’m thinking not.

Seems to me this team is always near the cap and there really isn’t a lot of dead weight. If any.

Bura, grubauer, Connolly, Williams, Schmidt, were all let go because it was either them or someone else who is also good. These were tough and necessary choices imo. This franchise is well above competent.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah, I'm with MJ, I want to say Forsberg but I know the butterfly effect of keeping him MAY have meant no Cup which is why I picked Schmidt.

FYI, I still have an unhealthy amount of hatred for McPhee for that trade. :mad:

Reactions: crab

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I don’t disagree but if the caps retained forsberg, would they have acquired Oshie? I’m thinking not.

Seems to me this team is always near the cap and there really isn’t a lot of dead weight. If any.

Bura, grubauer, Connolly, Williams, Schmidt, were all let go because it was either them or someone else who is also good. These were tough and necessary choices imo. This franchise is well above competent.

if u read the op, its not about what would happen if the caps retained player x. its just a simple question, which ex capital would u like to have

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Nate Schmidt would have been perfect for the Caps blueline this year. Probably the one single ex-player that the Caps could specifically use right now. But oh well.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Burakovsky producing in Colorado is great for him and I wish him nothing but the best, but it's tough to see him doing that in DC. Also, the Capitals got a decent enough return for him so no regrets there.

I think letting Connolly walk at his $3.5M price tag was a bit perplexing and I don't like that they prioritized re-signing Hagelin over Connolly. FLA being income-tax free may have driven up Connolly's price in DC a bit but not too much. His consistent depth scoring will be missed, especially if Panik doesn't start producing (he has played better recently).

I would love for Schmidt or Forsberg to be here. Both are excellent, excellent players. But I wanted to avoid the whole butterfly effect argument so I picked someone they lost post-Cup ;)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Nate Schmidt would have been perfect for the Caps blueline this year. Probably the one single ex-player that the Caps could specifically use right now. But oh well.

Imagine Schmidt instead of Jensen on this blueline, #stacked! Would not fit under the cap but this is hypothetical anyway.

Hell, imagine Matt Niskanen if he is truly bouncing back from his dreadful 2018/19 season.

Either of them are superior to Jensen, but there is still a salary cap thing.

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think letting Connolly walk at his $3.5M price tag was a bit perplexing and I don't like that they prioritized re-signing Hagelin over Connolly.

Did the Caps "let" Connolly walk? Isnt it more likely Connolly wanted something the Caps couldnt provide? An opportunity for a greater role. Oshie and Wilson were ahead of him and that wasnt changing.

Meanwhile getting Panik and keeping Hagelin was making the PK a clear priority for improvement. 24th last season. Tied for 10th this season.
The Caps are 2nd in goals for per game right now. They needed the pk/defensive players more

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Imagine Schmidt instead of Jensen on this blueline, #stacked! Would not fit under the cap but this is hypothetical anyway.

Hell, imagine Matt Niskanen if he is truly bouncing back from his dreadful 2018/19 season.

Yea, but. The IFs always comes with Buts. Keeping Schmidt means no Kempny. He doesn't replace Jensen. This is a fantasy though, so....

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

How is Nisky doing this year?

I haven't been keeping up with the Flyers except that one game we played against them and saw that he's paired with Povorov but I don't remember anything standing out from that game.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yea, but. The IFs always comes with Buts. Keeping Schmidt means no Kempny. He doesn't replace Jensen. This is a fantasy though, so....

Sure its all a silly hypothetical. Would you rather have Nisky and Schmidt or Kempny and Jensen?

I'd rather have Nisky, Schmidt and Kempny and no Gudas, Siegs or Jensen, but Mick Jagger said it best: "You can't always get what you want"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad