If you could have ONE player back or (The One That Got Away)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Because who needs an 22-man roster anyway? :jump:

Whatever the hell, ridicule all you want. I listed 4 players currently worth $9m. You can have a $6m 22 min/night defenseman and still have plenty of money left for a rookie D-man to play on the 3rd pair and two penalty killers.

If this thread was called 'Why your opinion is wrong and it doesn't matter anyway', I would have never clicked on the f********g thing in the first place.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Jensen? Gudas? Stephenson? Hagelin? That's about $9m to spend on 4 players.

3m ish or so will be needed to resign Backstrom and of course the Holtby situation. Caps are already in jeopardy of being top heavy. Schmidt as another 6m d-man simply doesn’t fit this teams salary structure for at best next year, and at worst farther down the line.

Nate is a nice player. But his salary slot is being taken up by one of the players I mentioned in my original response to you. All the guys you mention would cripple the teams depth and PK (well, not Bing...but the other 3), and arguably prevent a Backstrom resigning.

team simply cannot afford another 6m a year player. They’d be turning into the Maple Leafs

but to your point, I can understand how you can miss him. I just don’t. They won the Cup in large part because of the moves they had to make to cover for Schmidt’s loss. Don’t know if that would have happened otherwise. And odds are it wouldn’t have.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd easily trade Orlov for Schmidt if it comes to that just because of two simple facts: 1) I don't like Orlov as a player and never did; 2) I didn't like Schmidt while he was here either but it was hard to assess him properly when every mistake he made turned in a healthy scratch basically every other game. He proved that he can carry an atrocious defense all the way to the top when given top minutes and a big role and there's no f***ing man in this world who can convince me that Orlov can carry anything to the top. He's not even close to being a leader nor he will ever be and a pretty average defenseman overall.

Jun 15, 2007
In a hypothetical scenario where we kept Schmidt, he obviously wouldn't be making 6m a year.

He got that money because he showed he could be the best defenseman on a team good enough to get to the Stanley Cup Final.

Schmidt, regardless of performance, would be no. 3 or 4 in the pecking order here. So he would sign a much cheaper deal because he hadn't proved anything beyond being a competent top 4 defenseman. Not only would we have Schmidt, it would be a value contract.

But, I wonder if that Stanley Cup would be a bit tainted though.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd easily trade Orlov for Schmidt if it comes to that just because of two simple facts: 1) I don't like Orlov as a player and never did; 2) I didn't like Schmidt while he was here either but it was hard to assess him properly when every mistake he made turned in a healthy scratch basically every other game. He proved that he can carry an atrocious defense all the way to the top when given top minutes and a big role and there's no ****ing man in this world who can convince me that Orlov can carry anything to the top. He's not even close to being a leader nor he will ever be and a pretty average defenseman overall.

Orlov was on the shutdown pairing that won a Stanley Cup (which faced Crosby/Malkin and Kucherov/Stamkos among others and still put up the best shot numbers of all of the defensive pairings), and he followed that up with another really good playoff run last year despite Niskanen struggling, and is having another great season this year. If that isn't "carrying anything to the top" I don't know what to say to you.

I think there are arguments for Schmidt being better than Orlov (though I don't think I agree) but your assessment of Orlov is pretty bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: bur and 666 others

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Orlov was on the shutdown pairing that won a Stanley Cup (which faced Crosby/Malkin and Kucherov/Stamkos among others and still put up the best shot numbers of all of the defensive pairings), and he followed that up with another really good playoff run last year despite Niskanen struggling, and is having another great season this year. If that isn't "carrying anything to the top" I don't know what to say to you.

I think there are arguments for Schmidt being better than Orlov (though I don't think I agree) but your assessment of Orlov is pretty bad.
Everything you said is not a definition of a leader. It's a definition of a good defenseman and I actually disagree that he is the one or carried anyone or anything anywhere. In the cup run Niskanen was the better player on that pairing, Orlov looked pretty bad in the finals. Last year both of them looked terrible all year, Orlov looked better in Canes series and carried the pairing to a 1st rd exit. Yeah, not buying it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let's make it clear. Semin is more talented player... I'd say way more talented player. In his prime he could score in any way possible. Who I'd take for a cup run? Oshie no question.

More talented and better player are often different things. Semin in God Mode was a sight to see. No question.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
More talented and better player are often different things. Semin in God Mode was a sight to see. No question.
Will correct myself. Semin was a more offensively skilled player, not just talented. I'd argue he was the most skilled forward that franchise has seen since Jagr. But everyone knows his personality and why he didnt become anything more than talented enigma.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Everything you said is not a definition of a leader. It's a definition of a good defenseman and I actually disagree that he is the one or carried anyone or anything anywhere. In the cup run Niskanen was the better player on that pairing, Orlov looked pretty bad in the finals. Last year both of them looked terrible all year, Orlov looked better in Canes series and carried the pairing to a 1st rd exit. Yeah, not buying it.

"Well sure he was a good defenseman by definition, but I'm just going to ignore it because I don't like Orlov and never did."

-OvechkinTooth

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
"Well sure he was a good defenseman by definition, but I'm just going to ignore it because I don't like Orlov and never did."

-OvechkinTooth
You described him as one and I disagreed with that if you read the whole post. Sure you didn't and decided to act like a smartass.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

Man, what a pair Orlov and Schmidt would make. You could roll them out against top lines every game and come out on top.

BMac has tried to find a suitable fill in for the 2nd pair but I don't think either Jensen or Gudas are it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Man, what a pair Orlov and Schmidt would make. You could roll them out against top lines every game and come out on top.

BMac has tried to find a suitable fill in for the 2nd pair but I don't think either Jensen or Gudas are it.
Orlov and Schmidt both play the left side.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Stevens. Caps probably win a cup or 2 in the 90s if he stayed. It's all good now though and I got to see Iafrate play as a Cap.

Reactions: Calicaps

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I don't think Forsberg would have been the same player if he stayed with the Caps. He wouldn't have been given the same opportunities he got in Nashville.
The guy I miss isn't a player. It's Trotz.
Reirden is supposed to be a defensive guru but I haven't seen it. We are a weak defensive team.

In recent Caps history, I agree. The biggest loss is Trotz and the coaches he took with him. Forsberg got GMGM canned so I'm good with it even though the Cup win took away the ugly sting of a terrible trade. When it comes to overall Cap's history, my pick is losing Stevens.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
In recent Caps history, I agree. The biggest loss is Trotz and the coaches he took with him. Forsberg got GMGM canned so I'm good with it even though the Cup win took away the ugly sting of a terrible trade. When it comes to overall Cap's history, my pick is losing Stevens.
I think this spring is where the rubber meets the road w Reirden v Trotz. I hope they get to face each other.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reirden isn't a defense guru. He is a defenseman guru. Those are different things. Look at Carlson and Kempny and Orlov and its clear. The Caps play of their defense corp is foundational to this new system that has them dominating.

The Caps are 9th in goals against per game. That isn't weak. Scoring is up league wide. The Caps rank is far better both in GAA and PK% than Trotz last season. Both the GAA and PK% are improved over last season. The defense is better. You may not like it but its better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad