If you could have ONE player back or (The One That Got Away)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure its all a silly hypothetical. Would you rather have Nisky and Schmidt or Kempny and Jensen?

I'd rather have Nisky, Schmidt and Kempny and no Gudas, Siegs or Jensen, but Mick Jagger said it best: "You can't always get what you want"

I'd rather have Langway, Stevens, CalleJo, Murphy and Hatcher, but....

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
1. Scott Stevens
2. Nate Schmidt

If there was a Forsberg there would never have been a need for an Oshie acquisition. As bad as the Forsberg trade was and it was the worse, the ripples from it were BMAC replaces GMGM, Trotz replaces Oates, Oshie is acquired to fill a RW void and the arrival of a SC! Forsberg is talented but Oshie is talented with sandpaper and a personality, I for one now always drink my beers with my shirt pulled over my head.:thumbu:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Current? Jay Beagle. I obviously don't care about his contract and can't say for sure if he's still as good as he was with the Caps, don't watch Nucks often but his impact on the team was underrated at the time. He is a great 4th liner if there ever was one. If we talking about all history then I'd probably choose between Housley and Bondra.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Schmidt, without a second thought. His gross misuse in 16-17 bothers me greatly to this day. That team was fully capable of going all the way and my opinion of Trotz dropped more than a few notches after that.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I base my Schmidt/Forsberg love on who would make the team better today. Schmidt helps the most I think.

That was sort of the intent of the original post.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Is cap hit irrelevant? Do we assume that we have the current roster and don't have to think about butterfly effect of what happened after that player left? Is this player in their prime or is it their current ability?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Forsberg and Schmidt are both very good players. But I remain perplexed by the high pedestals on which they stand among many posters on this board.

We healthy scratch Schmidt en route to getting our ass kicked by the Pens AGAIN. A year later he plays ~25 minutes a night en route to the Cup final. We absolutely had the team to go all the way that year and we blew it. That's gross mismanagement as was that God awful Forsberg trade.

It would be great to have Schmidt on the team right now.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We healthy scratch Schmidt en route to getting our ass kicked by the Pens AGAIN. A year later he plays ~25 minutes a night en route to the Cup final. We absolutely had the team to go all the way that year and we blew it. That's gross mismanagement as was that God awful Forsberg trade.

The quality of the trade or the use when they were here is not my point.

My point is only that Forsberg is Filip not Peter and Schmidt is a solid D man but he's not Ray f***ing Bourque. The pining is overblown IMO.

As to having Schmidt right now... do you suppose the Caps can afford him and Carlson after at least one Cup? Who do you keep? Maybe he's the difference in that Pens series; maybe not. Maybe they win with him in 2018; maybe not. But Carlson is a legit Hart candidate right now, and they had the money for one top guy, not two. So Schmidt is probably gone now anyhow.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

My point is only that Forsberg is Filip not Peter and Schmidt is a solid D man but he's not Ray ****ing Bourque. The pining is overblown IMO.

As to having Schmidt right now... do you suppose the Caps can afford him and Carlson after at least one Cup? Who do you keep? Maybe he's the difference in that Pens series; maybe not. Maybe they win with him in 2018; maybe not. But Carlson is a legit Hart candidate right now, and they had the money for one top guy, not two. So Schmidt is probably gone now anyhow.

A-f***ing-men...

Reactions: Calicaps

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

My point is only that Forsberg is Filip not Peter and Schmidt is a solid D man but he's not Ray ****ing Bourque. The pining is overblown IMO.

Whatever, maybe this and maybe that. A **** up is a **** up and those are two instances where Caps f****** p pretty good.

I would love to have Schmidt on the team right now and we can absolutely fit him under the cap.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Butterfly effect aside, it's Forsberg, easily. He and Kuzy should have been the next wave after Ovie and Backstrom.
I don't think Forsberg would have been the same player if he stayed with the Caps. He wouldn't have been given the same opportunities he got in Nashville.
The guy I miss isn't a player. It's Trotz.
Reirden is supposed to be a defensive guru but I haven't seen it. We are a weak defensive team.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
1. Scott Stevens
2. Nate Schmidt

If there was a Forsberg there would never have been a need for an Oshie acquisition. As bad as the Forsberg trade was and it was the worse, the ripples from it were BMAC replaces GMGM, Trotz replaces Oates, Oshie is acquired to fill a RW void and the arrival of a SC! Forsberg is talented but Oshie is talented with sandpaper and a personality, I for one now always drink my beers with my shirt pulled over my head.:thumbu:

It’s really more simple than this.

no Forsberg = no McPhee

which means GMBM which means CUP.

it’s easy as that. So I don’t miss FF. At all. Great player but yeah.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

doesn’t he make like 6m a year? So who would we lose? Orlov? Kuznetsov, Oshie? Wilson? Carlson?

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Even if the only version we get is the one that was a Capital, I think it’d be fun to have that Sergei Fedorov on this team somewhere. Yeah it means demotions and it’s not really feasible since the Caps are probably already keeping too much talent down, but just imagine the lines.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->