Line Combos: If you are the GM, What are you doing?

tranquiljoe33

Dec 30, 2013
How you build your club if you're Sakic / Roy. Here is what I would do:

Sign O'reilly: 4 years/6.5M
Sign Stastny: 5 years/ 6M
Sign McGinn: 4 years/ 2.75M
Sign Barrie: 2 years/ 2.5M
Sign Hison: 2 years/ 0,95M
Sign Elliot 1 year / 0,95M
Sign 2 UFA DEF: Greene and Weaver
Trade Wilson for a pick
Draft a Big Forward ( Scherbak - Tuke - Kempe)

Is my Team for 2014-2015

Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Paul Stastny ($6.000m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m)
Jamie McGinn ($2.750m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Marc-Andre Cliche ($0.700m)
Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m) / Joey Hishon ($0.950m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Erik Johnson ($3.750m) / Jan Hejda ($3.250m)
Tyson Barrie ($2.500m) / Matt Greene ($3.250m)
Nick Holden ($0.600m) / Mike Weaver ($1.000m)
Stefan Elliott ($0.950m) / Nate Guenin ($0.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)
BUYOUTS
Greg Zanon ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,796,429; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $4,303,571

hahaha Sorry i speak french and General Manager in French is Directeur Général. DG=GM !!

Last edited by a moderator:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't figure out what you mean by DG lol. Help me out?

Not a bad line up. I'd do those deals as well but I think O'Reilly get more term if maybe not quite 6.5. That would be a great deal for Stastny, I'd do it but I have my doubts that happens. Barrie will get more than 2.5. If they could trade Wilson they probably already would, they are probably stick with his salary one way or the other. I don't think all of Stastny/PA/McGinn will be back, maybe only one.

Burnaby_Joe*

What is DG? Not a bad line up, I hope we can get Markov, if not, make a trade.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'm also wondering why this couldn't be put into in-season-proposals.

I also believe Ginner's AAV will start with a 3, Hishon will get a 2-way, 1 year deal around 800k, and won't sign Greene or Weaver. Or at least we shouldn't sign those last two.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm also wondering why this couldn't be put into in-season-proposals.

I also believe Ginner's AAV will start with a 3, Hishon will get a 2-way, 1 year deal around 800k, and won't sign Greene or Weaver. Or at least we shouldn't sign those last two.

I could see McGinn get a long deal @3m maybe 3.25 max, but if it is shorter term it will likely come in at 2.75m. I just don't think the consistant production is there yet to go above 3m.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I fully expect McGinn to be traded along with a plus to get a young defensemen. With it being the offseason, the Avs can easily sign another tweener in free agency to replace him (or trade PAP for that player). Reasoning... McGinn is the only younger forward that has value and isn't a part of the core.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I fully expect McGinn to be traded along with a plus to get a young defensemen. With it being the offseason, the Avs can easily sign another tweener in free agency to replace him (or trade PAP for that player). Reasoning... McGinn is the only younger forward that has value and isn't a part of the core.

Agreed. I think McGinn will go for a young defenceman like you have said, and I think Parenteau will go for a checking line forward. Similar to the Downie for Talbot swap. The Avs will sign a lower quality winger in July, Stastny will walk, and the Avs will role with (for example):

O'Reilly-Duchene-Michalek
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
Mitchell-Gaustad-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

Hejda-EJ
Kulikov-Barrie
Holden-Guenin
Elliott

Can't say it's what I want to happen, but I expect something like this to go down.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I've seen a lot of posts suggesting McGinn is traded as part of package for a youngish d-man and I do understand that he is probably the most expendable piece that contains value in such a trade. I just wonder if he'll be so easily replaced though. He really plays a physical game including the ability and willingness to go to the front of the net that we don't have anywhere else outside of Landeskog. I would rather trade PAP but understand his contract might not yield the same in a trade but his style of play is more redundant through our lineup and would be easier to lose than McGinn's.

Would teams necessarily balk at proposals including PAP instead or would they simply require us to add some different pieces to make it work?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've seen a lot of posts suggesting McGinn is traded as part of package for a youngish d-man and I do understand that he is probably the most expendable piece that contains value in such a trade. I just wonder if he'll be so easily replaced though. He really plays a physical game including the ability and willingness to go to the front of the net that we don't have anywhere else outside of Landeskog. I would rather trade PAP but understand his contract might not yield the same in a trade but his style of play is more redundant through our lineup and would be easier to lose than McGinn's.

Would teams necessarily balk at proposals including PAP instead or would they simply require us to add some different pieces to make it work?

McGinn is much more valuable. He is a young power winger that can pop in 20g a season and play on any line in the top 9. PAP is a purely one dimensional winger who is on the wrong side of 30.

Tweeners can easily be found to replace McGinn... the issue is that they will cost a decent chunk of change for a longer term than McGinn would. Say Pouliot who will probably get a 4-5 year deal at 3.5m+. The issue more lies in the fact that established young defensemen that are top 4 or have that potential are super hard to get. Got to pay the price to get those players in a trade.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
McGinn is much more valuable. He is a young power winger that can pop in 20g a season and play on any line in the top 9. PAP is a purely one dimensional winger who is on the wrong side of 30.

Tweeners can easily be found to replace McGinn... the issue is that they will cost a decent chunk of change for a longer term than McGinn would. Say Pouliot who will probably get a 4-5 year deal at 3.5m+. The issue more lies in the fact that established young defensemen that are top 4 or have that potential are super hard to get. Got to pay the price to get those players in a trade.

you really think someone gives that money to pouliot?

well not saying it won't happen but i'd never give him 4 or 5 years at 3.5+ mil. maybe if the cap is 100+ mil.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
you really think someone gives that money to pouliot?

well not saying it won't happen but i'd never give him 4 or 5 years at 3.5+ mil. maybe if the cap is 100+ mil.

Sadly I do... the baseline is Stalberg money 4 years 3 per, and goes up from there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This thread is getting derailed... I'll play

This is under the assumption that Stastny refuses to sign, simply because I can make more changes. :laugh:

Trade Stastny's rights + Siemens + Hishon + Conditional 2015 1st (2015 3rd if Stastny re-signs) for Kesler + Booth (no salary retained)
Trade McGinn + Pickard + pick (either 2014 1st or 2015 2nd... obviously 2nd if it gets the deal done) for Kulikov + Crabb/Butler (AHL Depth)
Trade PAP for Bourque + B level prospect/pick
Re-sign Kulikov 5 years at 4.25m per (probably too high and long, but Russia)
Re-sign ROR 8 years at 5.75m per
Re-sign Barrie 3 years at 3.0m per
Re-sign Elliott 1 year at 900k
Sign Zach Redmond 2 years 900k

ROR (5.75)-Duchene (6.0)-Tanguay (3.5)
Landy (5.57)-MacK (3.775)-Kesler (5.0)
Booth (4.25)-Mitchell (1.8)-Bourque (3.33)
McLeod (1.15)-Talbot (1.75)-Bordy (1.0)
Cliche (.700)

Kulikov (4.25)-EJ (3.75)
Hejda (3.25)-Barrie (3.0)
Holden (.600)- dogfight between the next 3
Guenin (.800)
Elliott (.900)
Redmond (.900)

Varly (5.9)
Berra (1.45)

Zanon (.750)

Cap hit ~69.125 not taking MacK's bonus cushion.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think both McGinn and Barrie are likely to get $3M+ whether's it's short or long term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd give it 6 games before I punch my TV after watching this line play.

I'd be surprised if you made it that long... hell it is a line of 2 players who are basically glorified cap dumps and the most frustrating player on the team. :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd be surprised if you made it that long... hell it is a line of 2 players who are basically glorified cap dumps and the most frustrating player on the team. :laugh:

We'd be done with that line after listening to the preseason games on the radio. We don't even need to see them in action.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Here's what I do in order.

Try your hardest to gets Stasnty under contract. Try hard to keep it at $6M, and give a limited NTC if you have to. If you have to do more, go up to $6.5M, but he either can't have a NTC or it's got at least 20 teams on there that he'll go to.

Sign O'Reilly to $6M long term. This should be an obvious number to arrive on from both sides if they're being reasonable.

McGinn gets $3-3.25M and Barrie gets a similar deal as EJ but at $3.5M.

See what kind of D man you can get at the draft with PAP+Elliott/Hishon. Then see what you can get if you add the 1st or add Siemens. If it's worth it go for it, but try to get a 2nd back if you give up a 1st. If you're giving up Siemens, the D man should be in a similar mold. Try hard to hold on to McGinn to keep some grit and size in the top 9. If you can't get the right deal, then hold off and see what develops in free agency.

My targets would be Coburn, Cowen, Kulikov, and Giordano but I doubt he's available.

Draft Bleckley, Kempe, or Scherbak if you keep the 1st.

Take Brenden Lemieux if you have a 2nd and he's on board.

Go after Markov if you didn't find a top pairing guy in trade. Nothing crazy in term or dollar though.

Settle on a deal for Orpik to play with Barrie, or Greene to play with Holden, and then continue to try to find a better trade fit with PAP.

Try to bring in one of Goc or Kulemin. If you had to give up McGinn in a trade go hard after Kulemin.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Here's what I do in order.

Try your hardest to gets Stasnty under contract. Try hard to keep it at $6M, and give a limited NTC if you have to. If you have to do more, go up to $6.5M, but he either can't have a NTC or it's got at least 20 teams on there that he'll go to.

Sign O'Reilly to $6M long term. This should be an obvious number to arrive on from both sides if they're being reasonable.

See what kind of D man you can get at the draft with PAP+Elliott/Hishon. Then see what you can get if you add the 1st or add Siemens. If it's worth it go for it, but try to get a 2nd back if you give up a 1st. If you're giving up Siemens, the D man should be in a similar mold. Try hard to hold on to McGinn to keep some grit and size in the top 9. If you can't get the right deal, then hold off and see what develops in free agency.

My targets would be Coburn, Cowen, Kulikov, and Giordano but I doubt he's available.

Draft Bleckley, Kempe, or Scherbak if you keep the 1st.

Take Brenden Lemieux if you have a 2nd and he's on board.

Go after Markov if you didn't find a top pairing guy in trade. Nothing crazy in term or dollar though.

Settle on a deal for Orpik to play with Barrie, or Greene to play with Holden, and then continue to try to find a better trade fit with PAP.

Try to bring in one of Goc or Kulemin. If you had to give up McGinn in a trade go hard after Kulemin.

I like this list, except
- Even at 6.5m I'd give Stats a 10-15 team NTC
- With Cap space (from not having Stats by your post) I'd rather pay Strahlman/Fayne to compete on the RH side.
- Even with Stastny, I think Markov for 3 years at 6m or less will be ok, just set it up descending in salary and a limited NTC (no NTC preferred).

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
- Re-sign pending UFA Stastny
- Re-sign pending RFAs O'Reilly, McGinn and Barrie
- Sign UFAs Hemsky and Hainsey
- Trade Elliott/Hishon/1st/Wilson for Kulikov

O'Reilly ($6.000m) - Duchene ($6.000m) - Parenteau ($4.000m)
Landeskog ($5.571m) - Stastny ($6.000m) - Tanguay ($3.500m)
McGinn ($3.250m) - MacKinnon ($0.925m) - Hemsky ($3.250m)
McLeod ($1.150m) - Mitchell ($1.800m) - Talbot ($1.750m)
Bordeleau ($1.000m) / Cliche ($0.700m)

Hejda ($3.250m) - Johnson ($3.750m)
Kulikov ($3.750m) - Tyson Barrie ($2.875m)
Holden ($0.600m) - Guenin ($0.800m)
Hainsey ($2.000m)

Varlamov ($5.900m)
Berra ($1.450m)

Avs need to build on their strengths. No matter who you sign (especially in this year's UFA crop) or are capable of trading for without gutting the team, your not going to get a Chicago/LA/Rangers-esk defense. That being said, losing Stastny to free agency, without getting anything in return, would be a huge failure of asset management on Sakic/Roy's part (long term future of the team > than 3 playoff wins (Avs weren't ever going to win it all this year anyways)). My team above could comfortably run 4 lines and continue to have Duchene or Mack or Stats play vs non-top 4 defense pairings, which is what they have going for them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ok, this is going to get brought up a lot (thanks Dater) but not getting a second/third round pick for Stastny is a failure? I know that's greater than nothing but is it really going to damage the Avs long term future?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Ok, this is going to get brought up a lot (thanks Dater) but not getting a second/third round pick for Stastny is a failure? I know that's greater than nothing but is it really going to damage the Avs long term future?

They probably could have gotten more than that at the deadline.

I mean Gaborik, who was hurt most of the year, got a return of Matt Frattin, a 2nd round Draft pick, and a conditional 3rd round pick in the 2014 NHL draft.

After LA got him, I'm sure Anaheim could have made a good offer for Stastny (they have 2 1st round picks this year, were 1st in the league, cleared salary cap space by moving Penner, Selanne's last year so go all in and need a 2C behind Getzlaff).

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City

I have the same feeling that we dangling McGinn for D, but the concern I have with that is we are going to lack size up front in the top 9. Outside Landy we don't have any players willing to throw around their bodies. If we trade him we need to add size upfront

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad