Proposal: If Winnipeg gets off to a bad start - Connor to NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I agree with this. Maybe reduce the quantity and up the quality a bit. Contract limit is a real thing and we've got a lot of middle-6/2nd pair/1b prospects in the pipeline. I dunno specifically who, but maybe pull a piece, upgrade another and take away the protection on the first?

As it is, I might consider it if I was really looking to blow up the roster. At this point, on paper I think our lineup is easily playoff caliber, but that was true last season too and it didn't work out. I'm currently operating on the premise that with a new voice and an offseason of self-reflection, we can do big things. I also don't think it would take much to change my mind, so maybe we'll talk again around turkey season.
I would think Chevy would opt for the less quantity more quality route as well. I would think he would say "Okay, you're asking for arguably our best player, so decide which of your 3 best young players you want to give up and add to him accordingly."

Chevy really has no reason or incentive to ask for or accept anything less.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we'd rather have 2-3 great assets rather than 4-5 good ones back for our 1 excellent one.

Mercer, Nemec, 1st
They can keep the rest.
We'll take back a contract or 2 to make the cap work.

Holtz alone may turn out to be good value. He is a sniper. RHS vs LHS KC. But he hasn't proven anything yet. Mercer was drafted 11 spots later but has hit the ground running and is a C instead of a W. With uncertainty connected to both Scheifele and PLD, Jets would need a top 6 C in the deal.

That said, the value in that package is good.

Reactions: mazmin

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
Mercer, Nemec, 1st
They can keep the rest.

Holtz alone may turn out to be good value. He is a sniper. RHS vs LHS KC. But he hasn't proven anything yet. Mercer was drafted 11 spots later but has hit the ground running and is a C instead of a W. With uncertainty connected to both Scheifele and PLD, Jets would need a top 6 C in the deal.

Thats an insane price, Nemec+Mercer+1st

Mercer+1st is already a lot, but Nemec is likely untouchable since hes the only upcoming RHD in the organization

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Winnipeg would be extremely foolish to trade Kyle Connor, especially for that package. Chevy would be fired within a minute of announcing the trade. Really over valuing Severson here. He may fetch a 1st since Chiarot did, but that's about it.

Connor is a legitimate top line winger with term on his deal. 7.1M x 4 years for a PPG + player with potential to hit 50 goals next year, you're not getting him for that package, not even close. If Winnipeg is not in a playoff spot they will sell guys like Scheifele/Wheeler, not Kyle Connor, that's who they should build around.
Yes correct. There isn't a reasonable possibility the Jets come out ahead on a deal for Connor. You make him a cornerstone

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
That is a lot of assets. That is an absurd amount of assets.

Mercer, Nemec, 1st
They can keep the rest.

Definitely at that cost you can just keep Connor.

Reactions: Billdo

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Rule of Thumb: Whenever a trade proposal with an asset exchange ratio of 1:6, or 1:5 or even 1:4 you know it’s a bad proposal. Quantity for quality trades to this degree don’t happen because the risk is too high for the team trading the quality asset. Severson is the only established played coming back to the Jets and his value is worlds away from Connors.

A serious offer probably involves Necas or Luke Hughes on top of Holtz and Severson

Connor is a Richard Trophy candidate and it’s going to hurt to trade for him

• Haha
Reactions: Snowman and Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Unless something has changed I believe Hockey is a team game. No one player is worth that many quality assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad