Proposal: If Winnipeg gets off to a bad start - Connor to NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If Winnipeg gets off to a bad start and it's clear they won't make the playoffs and are in line for a rebuild... How's this for a deal?

To NJ:
Kyle Connor

To Winnipeg:
Alexander Holtz
Nolan Foote
Damon Severson
Shakir Muhkamadullin
2023 1st round pick (Top 2 Protected)
2023 2nd round pick

Winnipeg can then flip Severson at the deadline for additional assets. (Probably another 1st, as well as a A-/B+ prospect)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Winnipeg gets off to a bad start and it's clear they won't make the playoffs and are in line for a rebuild... How's this for a deal?

To NJ:
Kyle Connor

To Winnipeg:
Alexander Holtz
Nolan Foote
Damon Severson
Shakir Muhkamadullin
2023 1st round pick (Top 2 Protected)
2023 2nd round pick

Winnipeg can then flip Severson at the deadline for additional assets. (Probably another 1st, as well as a A-/B+ prospect)
I think if Jets decided to run in a rebuild direction then they probably take this deal. You'd have to think they sell off a few more players before Connor, but getting potentially 2 1st, 2nd, and Holtz seems like a really good start in rebuilding. I'm not sure the rest of that does anything for them but those assets are easily movable for more assets.

I would imagine Jets first look to deal other players and hold off on moving Connor if they can find teams buying at the deadline for valuable picks.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Connor is 25 with 4 years left on his contract. Scheifele, Wheeler, and PLD all have 2 years left of team control and there have been rumours about all 3 probably not being in Winnipeg long term. Connor and Ehlers are the ones Winnipeg are building their forward core around (probably Perfetti too) so I really can't see them moving him for anything less than another foundational piece. Having 4 years left on his deal means they won't panic if they get off to a slow start, there will be no pressing need to move him. I really don't see them trading him for NJ's grab bag of expendable pieces.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If Connor goes to market I'd bet there would be offers that beat that one. To up the return, the Jets are in a position to take short term cap back - in other words, his contract would be a fit on every team in the league.

As mentionned, even if the Jets decide to blow it up (which I fount ever happens), Connor, Ehlers and Morrissey are the last players moved. It's one thing to have a bad team, but you can't make it unwatchable in this small market.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Connor is 25 with 4 years left on his contract. Scheifele, Wheeler, and PLD all have 2 years left of team control and there have been rumours about all 3 probably not being in Winnipeg long term. Connor and Ehlers are the ones Winnipeg are building their forward core around (probably Perfetti too) so I really can't see them moving him for anything less than another foundational piece. Having 4 years left on his deal means they won't panic if they get off to a slow start, there will be no pressing need to move him. I really don't see them trading him for NJ's grab bag of expendable pieces.
Say whaaaaaat. Grab bag of expendable pieces ? It’s a better offer than what Eichel got ….

How is a first in a very deep draft and Holtz and Mukhamadoulin expendable !!!?? Pljs Foote woild almost be one of the Jets best winger prospect they have ….
In no way, shape , or form is this even close to a grab bag….It would be on e of the biggest and most valued trade made in years… I can’t think of one with more valued pieces involved in…. I don’t know how long… a very long time.

Severson as well is a very good player and not considered expendable , it’s his UFA status only after the season that lowers his value but he is not an expendable piece. Only way he might be thought of as expendable is because the Devils will be very deep at RHD once Nemec is ready (Hamilton Nemec Marino ) .

I don’t think Jets trade Connor . They should build around him if that’s the direction they decide to go. There would be a few guys going way before him .
Howecer saying the offer by NJ isn’t any good…. My God is that a massive package (that’s what she said).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I highly doubt the Jets would trade KC or Ehlers, both are very good wingers on good contracts. At the very least there is a list of players the Jets would trade long before KC or Ehlers are traded. Pump the brakes on KC/Ehlers trade talks b/c highly doubt it would happen.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Can we have Slafkovsky then? Since he's an expendable piece and all.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Say whaaaaaat. Grab bag of expendable pieces ? It’s a better offer than what Eichel got ….

How is a first in a very deep draft and Holtz and Mukhamadoulin expendable !!!?? Pljs Foote woild almost be one of the Jets best winger prospect they have ….
In no way, shape , or form is this even close to a grab bag….It would be on e of the biggest and most valued trade made in years… I can’t think of one with more valued pieces involved in…. I don’t know how long… a very long time.

Severson as well is a very good player and not considered expendable , it’s his UFA status only after the season that lowers his value but he is not an expendable piece. Only way he might be thought of as expendable is because the Devils will be very deep at RHD once Nemec is ready (Hamilton Nemec Marino ) .

I don’t think Jets trade Connor . They should build around him if that’s the direction they decide to go. There would be a few guys going way before him .
Howecer saying the offer by NJ isn’t any good…. My God is that a massive package (that’s what she said).

Was that package tailored to what winnipeg would be looking for or are those the pieces NJ offers for every big trade target? That's what makes them expendable. Not saying there's no value there, but GMs rarely trade their allstar calibre 25 year olds on good deals for just kind of whatever the other team is offering.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Those are the pieces NJ fans offer for everyone. Their fans see them as expendable and losing them doesn't hurt much. That has nothing to do with slaf.
You called a potential 3rd overall pick in 2023, Holtz a 2020 1st rounder and Muk another 2020 1st rounder a bag of expendables.

If you call all those combined "Expendable" then Slafkovksy also would be clearly labelled expendable.

I suggest you reword your statement.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Once the Jets decide to rebuild, they would most likely be looking to move Wheeler, and then any of PLD, Scheifele, and Helle if they won't sign. Can't see Connor or Ehlers being on the table before those players are dealt with.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
You called a potential 3rd overall pick in 2023, Holtz a 2020 1st rounder and Muk another 2020 1st rounder a bag of expendables.

If you call all those combined "Expendable" then Slafkovksy also would be clearly labelled expendable.

I suggest you reword your statement.

Those are the pieces NJ fans are always will to expend to receive their trade targets, thus making them expendable. Expendable doesn't mean no value. Trading for Connor would require a piece that the acquiring team isn't readily willing to give up.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

If Winnipeg does decide to go into rebuild mode, keeping Connor and Ehlers isn't the greatest move IMO. Those two alone are good enough to keep the Jets out of the NHL basement - which in reality is where you want to be when rebuilding.

Look at all elite teams over the past decade:
Pittsburgh: NHL basement from 2002-2006
Chicago: NHL basement from 2004-2008
Washington: NHL basement from 2004-2007
LA Kings: NHL basement from 2006-2009
Tampa Bay: NHL basement from 2008-2010
Colorado: NHL basement from 2011-2017

Those are the pieces NJ fans are always will to expend to receive their trade targets, thus making them expendable. Expendable doesn't mean no value. Trading for Connor would require a piece that the acquiring team isn't readily willing to give up.
That's Holtz.

Devils would be moving the younger, promising asset in Holtz for a more immediate impact and already proven asset in Connor.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Connor has too much control left in addition to being prime aged . Think the offer is light and even if Jets get off to a bad start Jersey looks like it's mostly a lateral move as far as building a winner goes. Additionally the pieces they'd likely target would be Mercer, L Hughes or Nemec. Why would the Jets or anyone else settle for secondary pieces if they were putting a top sniper /player on the block with such a reasonable contract? Imo Wheeler is the first guy that goes if things go sideways.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If Connor goes to market I'd bet there would be offers that beat that one. To up the return, the Jets are in a position to take short term cap back - in other words, his contract would be a fit on every team in the league.

As mentionned, even if the Jets decide to blow it up (which I fount ever happens), Connor, Ehlers and Morrissey are the last players moved. It's one thing to have a bad team, but you can't make it unwatchable in this small market.

If the Jets decide to blow it up, they should actually BLOW it up. That means moving ALL of Hellewbuyck, Morrissey, Pionk, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, Schiefele, Dubois.

Build around Perfetti, Lucius, McGroarty, Heinola, and all the assets you receive from selling off those players - which would be SIGNIFICANT assets.

Reactions: Heldig and hn777

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If the Jets decide to blow it up, they should actually BLOW it up. That means moving ALL of Hellewbuyck, Morrissey, Pionk, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, Schiefele, Dubois.

Build around Perfetti, Lucius, McGroarty, Heinola, and all the assets you receive from selling off those players - which would be SIGNIFICANT assets.
Not saying you're 100% wrong, but they'd have to move Wheeler, Helle, Scheifele, and PLD first.

It's also a lot of players to move, has any team moved that many high end players in one season for example?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Nobody beats this offer. It is a former top 10 pick, a former 1st rounder D, a future 1st, a 2nd, an asset you can flip at TDL. This is better than the Eichel deal.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Not saying you're 100% wrong, but they'd have to move Wheeler, Helle, Scheifele, and PLD first.

It's also a lot of players to move, has any team moved that many high end players in one season for example?

I don't understand why those three have to come "first".... If you're going to end up moving them all, why is the order in which that happens an issue?

The New York Rangers moved all of McDonagh, Nash, Stepan, JT Miller, Brassard, Zuccarello, and Kevin Hayes in a very short period of time. Pretty sure it was spread out among 2-3 seasons though. Look at them now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't understand why those three have to come "first".... If you're going to end up moving them all, why is the order in which that happens an issue?

The New York Rangers moved all of McDonagh, Nash, Stepan, JT Miller, Brassard, Zuccarello, and Kevin Hayes in a very short period of time. Pretty sure it was spread out among 2-3 seasons though. Look at them now.
Because the Jets would receive enough futures in those deals to not have to move Ehlers and Connor for more.

True "blow it up" rebuilds are rare, and even then they rarely work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad