If we won the Draft Lottery would you trade that pick? If for whom or what?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's funny when a Canadian prospect dominates his peers in the OHL he gets labelled generational. When an American prospect dominates his peers at the USNTDP level and then men in a professional league as a rookie, he's meh.

I never said he's meh, just not hyped as a generational talent by many. Regardless if the prospect is Canadian, dominating in the CHL is a lot easier to project to NHL scoring rates due to the sample size. There's really no comparable for Matthews' situation.

Also, again, he's the oldest guy in his draft class and that makes a difference. If he was born 2 days earlier, he could be in the NHL this year. The fact he's putting up good numbers in a league where the leading scorer is Pierre Marc Bouchard isn't itself worthy of the generational label when he was 2 days away from being expected to do that in the NHL. The fact he's holding his own against men shows he's physically ready, but there's a gap between that and generational talent. I'm not saying he couldn't surprise and score 90 pts next year, but I think it's far more likely he ends up in the Tavares/Hall class than the Crosby/Ovechkin class.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I never said he's meh, just not hyped as a generational talent by many. Regardless if the prospect is Canadian, dominating in the CHL is a lot easier to project to NHL scoring rates due to the sample size. There's really no comparable for Matthews' situation.

Also, again, he's the oldest guy in his draft class and that makes a difference. If he was born 2 days earlier, he could be in the NHL this year. The fact he's putting up good numbers in a league where the leading scorer is Pierre Marc Bouchard isn't itself worthy of the generational label when he was 2 days away from being expected to do that in the NHL. The fact he's holding his own against men shows he's physically ready, but there's a gap between that and generational talent. I'm not saying he couldn't surprise and score 90 pts next year, but I think it's far more likely he ends up in the Tavares/Hall class than the Crosby/Ovechkin class.

Ya, I sure wouldn't want Tavares on the jets... Said no one, ever.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
i'd trade it. we could get a hanifin or werenski easy+more. werenski+bjorkstrand+from columbus? yes please

I'd probably quit as a fan if that happened. Werenski and Bjorkstrand as the return on a guy who has the chops to be perhaps the best player in the entire game.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think the reason he isn't hyped is because he isn't playing in the O or the Q. The Canadian media, located in the east of the country, undoubtedly does more hyping than anyone. Actual team scouts very rarely go on record raving on about a player, most scout hype comes from media scouts like Button who usually just go along with the hype. McDavid is the golden boy of Canadian hockey and he is incredibly talented no doubt. But there is an obvious Canadian and Ontario bias going on there.
If Matthews had been born 2 days earlier we would have looked at his numbers in the USNTDP and still have said. Holy crap. There is no one that has ever done this. He is breaking Kane's records. He outpaced Jack freaking Eichel by 29 points. His only comparables are Eichel and Kane and he blew them out of the water. Holy crap!

I guess it just depends on what you view as a generational talent. If a generational talent is just someone who scores goals and puts up points at higher rates than their peers, well then check Matthews off that list.
If a generational talent does all that while being a Toews and Kopitar level two-way player than he must be pretty ****ing good. McDavid and Crosby will never be the two-way players those to are. sure they will put up huge amounts of points, challange for Harts, Arts and Rockets. But in the end they will never win as many cups as the franchise two-way guys. Not in this era. You can take that to the bank.

If you took McDavid and Eichel and put them in the LHC and spun them around that big ******* at 3m/second slower than C and collided them together the readout would detect Auston Matthews and the science community would rejoice because we had found the Matthews Particle.
He's like finding the God particle. He's just the best of both worlds. You don't just throw that away.

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
You take Matthews and start the car...

only a Lindros level return of insanity would get me to deal that....

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Mathews would have been in the conversation for 2nd overall this year. He is an elite talent. I'd be hard pressed to pass up 7 years of his services for anything less than a franchise player.

I fully anticipate that he will put up 50-60 points as a rookie. Perhaps more.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How is Matthews in McDavid territory? I haven't heard that at all. There's lots of hype, but not to that level. You have to keep in mind he missed the cutoff for the last draft by 2 days. He's almost a year older than some of these guys. When you're 18, that's a huge difference.

Read post #28 in this thread.

If not McD then between Eichel and McD. Really, really ****ing good. Ee leete 1C.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So, in a couple of years, which option is better?

Option 1:
Connor-Matthews-Roslovic (have chemistry with Matthews in past)
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheels (liked what we saw last game)
Lowry-Little-Armia (hard working line who can score)
Lemiuex-Copp-Thorbs :) (grinders)

Option 2:
Laine-Little-Ehlers (Little is defensive conscious on that line)
Connor-Scheifele-Wheels (could be a great scoring line)
Armia-Lowry-Roslovic (solid, but unspectacular)
Lemiuex-Copp-Thorbs

Option 3:
Connor-Little-Pulijujarvi (RW is stacked)
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheels
Armia-Lowry-Roslovic
Lemiuex-Copp-Thorbs

If the Jets draft a forward, and Connor turns out as advertised, Ladd is easily replaceable in the line up. Maybe not as easily in the room, but definitely on the ice.

My vote would be option 1. That's a deep lineup, even without Petan and others.

Option 1

That top 9 is .... seriously scary good.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the reason he isn't hyped is because he isn't playing in the O or the Q. The Canadian media, located in the east of the country, undoubtedly does more hyping than anyone. Actual team scouts very rarely go on record raving on about a player, most scout hype comes from media scouts like Button who usually just go along with the hype. McDavid is the golden boy of Canadian hockey and he is incredibly talented no doubt. But there is an obvious Canadian and Ontario bias going on there.
If Matthews had been born 2 days earlier we would have looked at his numbers in the USNTDP and still have said. Holy crap. There is no one that has ever done this. He is breaking Kane's records. He outpaced Jack freaking Eichel by 29 points. His only comparables are Eichel and Kane and he blew them out of the water. Holy crap!

I guess it just depends on what you view as a generational talent. If a generational talent is just someone who scores goals and puts up points at higher rates than their peers, well then check Matthews off that list.
If a generational talent does all that while being a Toews and Kopitar level two-way player than he must be pretty ****ing good. McDavid and Crosby will never be the two-way players those to are. sure they will put up huge amounts of points, challange for Harts, Arts and Rockets. But in the end they will never win as many cups as the franchise two-way guys. Not in this era. You can take that to the bank.

If you took McDavid and Eichel and put them in the LHC and spun them around that big ******* at 3m/second slower than C and collided them together the readout would detect Auston Matthews and the science community would rejoice because we had found the Matthews Particle.
He's like finding the God particle. He's just the best of both worlds. You don't just throw that away.

So ...... you think he's pretty good then? Or what? Spit it out. Don't hold back. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not as big on Mathews as everyone else. I'd trade down to 3 maybe even 4th.

What about you?

There is zero chance I would move down or trade Mathews.

If we won the draft lottery I would scream like a child then look for people to celebrate with.

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Option 1

That top 9 is .... seriously scary good.

If Option 1 happened and we were 80% accurate in our hype of who our players are, we'd be deep into Hawks like mode, trading to stay up the cap. Look at the top 6. They'd all be quickly in the $6M/yr.

I realize that would be a great problem to have. :nod:

I don't think we are far away from a pretty good team no matter what happens in the 2016 draft.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What if the Jets draft him and he pulls a Lindros and says 'No.'

He could but given the amount of American players we already have I don't think he would turn us down.
He has history with Roslovic and I'm sure he knows who Connor is. He'll likely be playing with Wheeler, Buff, Trouba, and Helle possibly Myers on Team America at International tournaments.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I doubt they're trading OEL for Matthews even if it only took OEL. He's a top 5-10 D man in the league, which is just as valuable as a franchise C, let alone a potential Franchise C.

I wouldn't even entertain a trade with the Coyotes unless their pick is in the top ~8.

It'd have to be something like 2016 1st, Strome + Domi + to get me to not draft Matthews.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Draft one of Sergachev/Chychrun/Juolevi with Arizona's pick.

Domi Little Wheeler
Connor Scheifele Ehlers
Perreault Strome Stafford
Burmi Copp Lemieux

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers
Morrissey "____"

Ina year or two that would be one offensive juggernaut of a team.

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Imagine if Matthews was born a week earlier. Last year's draft would have been phenomenal. McDavid-Eichel-Matthews.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What if the Jets draft him and he pulls a Lindros and says 'No.'

Yeah, how's that hold a gun to the GM's head thing working out for Drouin?

He could but given the amount of American players we already have I don't think he would turn us down.
He has history with Roslovic and I'm sure he knows who Connor is. He'll likely be playing with Wheeler, Buff, Trouba, and Helle possibly Myers on Team America at International tournaments.

How did that deal work out for the Nords in the end anyway? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2