If we won the Draft Lottery would you trade that pick? If for whom or what?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You don't have to be big on Matthews necessarily to agree that he's the best player available in this draft. Sure, he's no McDavid as a prospect, but if he has the potential to be even a top-10 center in the league (regardless of how likely you might think it is that he hits that potential), it'd require a lot to trade down.

Players with that kind of upside are extremely hard to get and extremely valuable to build a franchise around.

Edit: if a winger prospect is just as good, I'd still take the center every time. Plenty of recent cup winners have done it without an elite scoring winger. None have done it without an elite center. I'm not that desperate to get LHD now that Trouba has shown he can play the off-side.

...the Bruins? Krejci and Bergeron are both good...but far from elite.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
And no I wouldn't trade Matthews. They said that if he was in the draft last season he would be challenging for 1st overall with McEichel.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd keep Matthews unless it's a massive maaaassssiivvvee overpayment. Again I'm going to lay down what I laid down in the Tank Thread.

Were talking about a 6'2 - 194 pound tank of a kid. Strong, elite skating, elite shooting, elite two-way player. Like Toews, Kopitar level but possibly better than either of them offensively. That like never comes along... ever. Like were talking possibly 70+ point Center with Selke level two-way abilities. That's like prime Datsyuk level potential maybe even better.
A kid whose torn apart every single level of competition he's entered as a rookie. A kid who on the U18 USNTDP had 116 points (55 goals and 61 assists) in 60 games breaking the USNTDP record of 102 set by Patrick Kane, who is now leading the NHL in Goals, Assists and Points. He broke the record by 14 points! That's like next level production in any league.
Not to mention he beat Eichel by 29 points that season. That's like a whole other stratosphere of production.
Were talking about a kid who can't draw statistical comparisons from anyone before him because no one has done what he has done, at his age, at the levels he has done them at. A true trailblazer. I mean if this kid was Canadian the media would be shouting Generational talent from the rooftops.
We are talking about a kid whose 8th in points in the NLA, a men's professional league, as a rookie. While playing, on average, 12 less games than anyone else within the top 10 range.

A kid whose in a 3 way tie for the goal scoring lead..
1. Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions - 28GP - 21G
2. Julien Sprunger- HC Fribourg-Gottéron- 35GP - 21G
3. Fredrik Pettersson - HC Lugano - 42GP - 21G

While playing 7 and 14 less games than both of his competitors respectively.

Walking away from a kid like this would be insane. Completely insane.
We don't have a single prospect in our system that even comes close to this kid. Heck 28 other teams don't have a prospect that even comes close to this kid. Eichel is a step below IMO.
This kid proves it everywhere he goes. What makes anyone think the NHL will be different. Not only that but he has a good head on his shoulders. You can't ask anything more from this kid.
Want to sort out leadership issues? Draft a franchise future leader #1 C.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Bergeron is definitely an elite 1C. Elite PKer. And probably the best faceoff taker in the league. I'd take him over a fair number of centers in the league. He's slightly less offensively gifted than Toews but better defensively IMO. His playoff line of 20 points in 23 games and 60.5 FOW% in Boston's cup run is a huge reason as to why they won.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Not a snowball's chance. You run to the podium and blurt out Matthews, then enjoy the next 15+ years.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I would draft Matthews but trade down to Laine and pickup something.

Laine - Connor - Ehlers
Perreault - Scheif - Wheeler
Stafford - Little - x
x - Copp - x

Win cup in 2-3 years with that kind of forwards.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Laine - Connor - Ehlers
Stafford - Little - x
x - Copp - x

Connor is not gonna suddenly start playing center after playin the wing for two years. He looks like a natural wingerto me and quite successful.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Bergeron is definitely an elite 1C. Elite PKer. And probably the best faceoff taker in the league. I'd take him over a fair number of centers in the league. He's slightly less offensively gifted than Toews but better defensively IMO. His playoff line of 20 points in 23 games and 60.5 FOW% in Boston's cup run is a huge reason as to why they won.

Doesn't make him an Elite 1C. I would even argue that Carolina dint really have one when they one the Cup.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Laine - Connor - Ehlers
Stafford - Little - x
x - Copp - x

You'd probably win more cups with..

Connor - Matthews - Wheeler - top minutes line
Ehlers - Scheif - Roslovic - ozone line
Perro/Petan - Little - Armia/Stafford - secondary scoring line
Lemieux - Copp - Lipon/Peluso - checking energy line

That is a dangerous top 9 that could easily contend with any team with all those pieces in their prime.
You could even package a few other prospects Harkins, De Leo, Spacek, Foley, Appleton with roster players. To get some help on defence.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'd keep Matthews unless it's a massive maaaassssiivvvee overpayment. Again I'm going to lay down what I laid down in the Tank Thread.

Walking away from a kid like this would be insane. Completely insane.
We don't have a single prospect in our system that even comes close to this kid. Heck 28 other teams don't have a prospect that even comes close to this kid. Eichel is a step below IMO.
This kid proves it everywhere he goes. What makes anyone think the NHL will be different. Not only that but he has a good head on his shoulders. You can't ask anything more from this kid.
Want to sort out leadership issues? Draft a franchise future leader #1 C.

100% on my wave length. we have drafted a lot of skill to complement him. Ehlers, Morrissey, The Chief , Trouba, Helly, Comrie, Conner, Roslovic, Petan, Lowry.

We need an young elite player on our team to take us to the next level. that possible 70-90 pt player.

I am not saying Matthews is guaranteed to turn into that player but if we get the chance I would say we would draft Mattehws and take the risk that he may emerge as an elite center and not shop the pick for more pieces. Just my own personal opinion on the matter.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Doesn't make him an Elite 1C. I would even argue that Carolina dint really have one when they one the Cup.

I think it does. Elite 1C's are capable of playing in all situations and do so effectively. I guess it just depends on your definition of an elite 1C.
Carolina had a 21 year old Staal who was by all means an Elite 1C that year. He put up 100 points that season and was their leading scorer in the playoffs.
They also had a 35 yo Brind'Amour who won the Selke that year for his superb defensive play and was pivotal in their cup run.
I'd argue that Carolina didn't have 1 elite #1C on their cup run, they had 2!

White Out 403*

Not a snowball's chance. You run to the podium and blurt out Matthews, then enjoy the next 15+ years.

I can imagine Chevy running to the podium, sweating, and blurting out Matthews out of breath.

Jeez. I can almost imagine it. Auston Matthews would make this nightmare season worthwhile.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
2 more goals today. 9 game point streak.

Officially the NLA goal leader as an 18 year old, while playing 6 and 13 less games then the next two guys beneath him. No one does this!
How can you throw that away?
That's like winning the lottery last year saying well I'm not sure if McDavid will be good trade down and get two other players that could be more likely to bust...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

"Far from elite" is a very inaccurate statement for those two. Now I can see if someone doesn't consider them in that "elite" category because they're just on the outside, but both are without a doubt #1 centers. Bergy is an elite two-way center and both have been big playoff performers. Krejci was HUGE in both of Boston's Finals appearances putting up 23 points in 25 games the first time and the second putting up 26 points in 22 games. You can't deny what either are capable of.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I can imagine Chevy running to the podium, sweating, and blurting out Matthews out of breath.

Jeez. I can almost imagine it. Auston Matthews would make this nightmare season worthwhile.

Or he does a Bobby Clarke "who are we taking again? Oh right, Matthews"

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
i'd trade it. we could get a hanifin or werenski easy+more. werenski+bjorkstrand+from columbus? yes please

Dhors

Oct 23, 2015
Halifax
I've been mostly hoping for Puljujarvi or Laine, with us winning the 2nd or 3rd place lottery :nod:. That being said I think it's pretty much a given you would take Mathews with that top pick and run with him. Nobody is going to give you enough compensation for him given the possible ceiling Mathews has, he's going to be a force in the NHL next season. Plus we need a top center prospect anyways, so Mathews would make perfect sense for us to take. I'm still betting on us landing a Finn or maybe Gauthier if we land further down in the draft! :popcorn:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Just going by an aggregate of other people's opinions & stats but they are not just as good. And they are not Cs. They are currently being elevated in ratings by outstanding performances in 1 short, high profile tournament. I'm sure both would be very good but Matthews is in McD territory (If Oilers win the lottery again ..... :rant::madfire: ).

I agree we need LD desperately. No one has pushed that point harder than I have. But for a Matthews I'd let it pass till our next pick or trade for D.

How is Matthews in McDavid territory? I haven't heard that at all. There's lots of hype, but not to that level. You have to keep in mind he missed the cutoff for the last draft by 2 days. He's almost a year older than some of these guys. When you're 18, that's a huge difference.

Bergeron may not be elite in the regular season, but he was definitely elite in the playoffs when they won. Regardless, I'll soften my stance to MOST recent cup winners have had a dominant #1C.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How is Matthews in McDavid territory? I haven't heard that at all. There's lots of hype, but not to that level. You have to keep in mind he missed the cutoff for the last draft by 2 days. He's almost a year older than some of these guys. When you're 18, that's a huge difference.

I'd give the nod to McDavid in terms of skating ability, hands and on ice vision.
But I'd say Matthews is just as good a shooter, more physical and arguably better in his own end.
McDavid will win more scoring races but I think Matthews challenges for Selkes and Cups. He may even be in the running for a rocket or two if he hits his maximum potential.
It's funny when a Canadian prospect dominates his peers in the OHL he gets labelled generational. When an American prospect dominates his peers at the USNTDP level and then men in a professional league as a rookie, he's meh.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So, in a couple of years, which option is better?

Option 1:
Connor-Matthews-Roslovic (have chemistry with Matthews in past)
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheels (liked what we saw last game)
Lowry-Little-Armia (hard working line who can score)
Lemiuex-Copp-Thorbs :) (grinders)

Option 2:
Laine-Little-Ehlers (Little is defensive conscious on that line)
Connor-Scheifele-Wheels (could be a great scoring line)
Armia-Lowry-Roslovic (solid, but unspectacular)
Lemiuex-Copp-Thorbs

Option 3:
Connor-Little-Pulijujarvi (RW is stacked)
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheels
Armia-Lowry-Roslovic
Lemiuex-Copp-Thorbs

If the Jets draft a forward, and Connor turns out as advertised, Ladd is easily replaceable in the line up. Maybe not as easily in the room, but definitely on the ice.

My vote would be option 1. That's a deep lineup, even without Petan and others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad