If we won the Draft Lottery would you trade that pick? If for whom or what?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not as big on Mathews as everyone else. I'd trade down to 3 maybe even 4th.

What about you?

Not a ghost of a chance. Not in a million years. Wouldn't even talk to anybody about it. You don't hope and wish and pray for the chance to draft an elite #1 C and then throw it away.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Not a ghost of a chance. Not in a million years. Wouldn't even talk to anybody about it. You don't hope and wish and pray for the chance to draft an elite #1 C and then throw it away.

My reason is that I think both Patrick Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi are just as good and we need LD desperately. We could get have our cake and eat it too, if they are just as good as Mathews.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm not as big on Mathews as everyone else. I'd trade down to 3 maybe even 4th.

What about you?

You don't have to be big on Matthews necessarily to agree that he's the best player available in this draft. Sure, he's no McDavid as a prospect, but if he has the potential to be even a top-10 center in the league (regardless of how likely you might think it is that he hits that potential), it'd require a lot to trade down.

Players with that kind of upside are extremely hard to get and extremely valuable to build a franchise around.

Edit: if a winger prospect is just as good, I'd still take the center every time. Plenty of recent cup winners have done it without an elite scoring winger. None have done it without an elite center. I'm not that desperate to get LHD now that Trouba has shown he can play the off-side.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I would not trade the 1st overall pick. I would take Matthews, and be happy with a franchise #1C for the next 8-10 years.

Centre depth of Matthews, Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Burmi, Copp, and Perreault.

Not gonna happen.

1st overall, or trading down, Aavco? I'm assuming trading down, given that there's some chance of getting 1st overall via luck.

White Out 403*

Matthews would be incredible. Plus, were building a very nice core of Americans. That has to help team chemistry. Mathews is a huge talent.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Well if I was a bottom feeder team GM with an under achieving staff with the lowest pay roll around, I'd be on the phones everyday gauging the value of this 1st overall #1 center to the other 29 teams.

I'm going to vote this guy is our Yakupov if we get him, half because these HF boards 1st over talks need balance.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My reason is that I think both Patrick Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi are just as good and we need LD desperately. We could get have our cake and eat it too, if they are just as good as Mathews.

Just going by an aggregate of other people's opinions & stats but they are not just as good. And they are not Cs. They are currently being elevated in ratings by outstanding performances in 1 short, high profile tournament. I'm sure both would be very good but Matthews is in McD territory (If Oilers win the lottery again ..... :rant::madfire: ).

I agree we need LD desperately. No one has pushed that point harder than I have. But for a Matthews I'd let it pass till our next pick or trade for D.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well if I was a bottom feeder team GM with an under achieving staff with the lowest pay roll around, I'd be on the phones everyday gauging the value of this 1st overall #1 center to the other 29 teams.

I'm going to vote this guy is our Yakupov if we get him, half because these HF boards 1st over talks need balance.

Yakupov? Balance? This makes very little sense - mind expanding upon this thought?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I would definitely talk to Arizona and see what they would give me for the #1 as they would be the most desperate to land Matthews.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I would not trade the 1st overall pick. I would take Matthews, and be happy with a franchise #1C for the next 8-10 years.

Centre depth of Matthews, Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Burmi, Copp, and Perreault.

1st overall, or trading down, Aavco? I'm assuming trading down, given that there's some chance of getting 1st overall via luck.

Chevy would run to the podium to select Mathews with that grin he has. He won't trade down. When was the last time anyone did that?

We probably won't win the lottery either.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
an 18 yr old 6'1 200 + center who is playing against grown men while according to his coach in the swiss league being dominant on the ice. has played very well and above average on their national team vs. world competition. Also broke P.Kane's record for goals and points on the USDP team. (doesn't mean much but it shows promise)

I don't know how you couldn't take him. Very good chance he will be an elite talent and NHL ready right after the draft.

Just my take on him but I would take him in a heart beat. Move out Little at a later date.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
While we're on the topic, what changes have been made to the lottery?

I know that as of last year all 14 non-playoff teams are in the lottery, and as of this coming season there is now a draw to determine the first three picks, not just the first.

But there was also talk in the past of changing the odds so that previous seasons' performance was also taken into account. Making the odds slightly better for teams that spend a lot of time out of the playoffs, and slightly worse for teams that nosedive into the bottom after some success in the previous season(s).

Did anything come of that?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
2016 NHL Draft Lottery

Beginning in 2016, the Draft Lottery will be utilized to assign the top three drafting slots in the NHL Draft, an expansion over previous years when the Draft Lottery was used to determine the winner of the first overall selection only.

Three draws will be held: the 1st Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery draw will determine the club selecting third overall.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

The allocation of odds for the 1st Lottery draw will be the same as outlined above for the 2015 NHL Draft Lottery. The odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the 2nd Lottery draw, based on which Club wins the 1st Lottery draw, and again for the 3rd Lottery draw, based on which Club wins the 2nd Lottery draw.

The 11 Clubs not selected in the Draft Lottery will be assigned NHL Draft selections 4 through 14, in inverse order of regular-season points.

Non-Playoff Team
(Fewest Pts. to Most)

1 20.0%
2 13.5%
3 11.5%
4 9.5%
5 8.5%
6 7.5%
7 6.5%
8 6.0%
9 5.0%
10 3.5%
11 3.0%
12 2.5%
13 2.0%
14 1.0%

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Yakupov? Balance? This makes very little sense - mind expanding upon this thought?

Nothing makes little sense when speculating on futures, it's just opinion if anything. Little sense, if anything would be not exploring all options for the best possible decision if and when that choice is available.

I would definitely talk to Arizona and see what they would give me for the #1 as they would be the most desperate to land Matthews.

Yup, my 1st thought as well and go from there.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
If we could get a top-3 pick this year I would be ecstatic about putting up with the crappy year we've been having so far. No way in hell would I say we should trade it.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
The reason were having a crappy year isn't because our players are that bad and "McDavid's" are needed to save us, it's because this team has upper leadership issues and will never win enough to get us to stop having tanking threads, until it's addressed.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Nothing makes little sense when speculating on futures, it's just opinion if anything. Little sense, if anything would be not exploring all options for the best possible decision if and when that choice is available.

Sure, you can explore the options. I doubt that another team would pay the likely ask for that 1st overall though - that's my speculation.

I don't get the Yakupov part though - there are very few similarities between Yak and Matthews.

The reason were having a crappy year isn't because our players are that bad and "McDavid's" are needed to save us, it's because this team has upper leadership issues and will never win enough to get us to stop having tanking threads, until it's addressed.

Sure, but we are where we are, and there is a non-zero chance of landing someone like Matthews - nothing wrong with discussing it. I also agree that this isn't a "bad" team, so no better time than now to dip down, then bounce back after securing a low pick this year.

The title of this thread is "would you trade the 1st overall", not "how do we fix upper leadership issues", BTW.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
That was the point, the differences, or perceived difference and the hope it's true.

added for clarity: The one 1st overall you get, you hope it's not the Yak year.(although I'm sure there people out there the Yak year was the best)

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg

I 100% agree. I spend a lot of time in the winter in Arizona. Having a home grown superstar could help save their franchise. What would they offer us for him? It would be exciting to be on the line when they discuss it!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You listen to offers, and when no team gives up enough to get the top pick, you take Matthews.

Now if Arizona offers Strome, OEL, their 2016 1st ++ ? - then maybe you seriously look at that and pull the trigger. Especially if it's a top 10 or better pick in 2016 where you think you can grab another top LH d prospect.

Don't see that happening. Though Arizona just might do a "Lindros" deal. I'll take the 'Nordiques compensation' in that case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad