If We Trade for a Winger for Sid, Who do We Part With?

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
We'll have to get pretty lucky to get "Crosby's Neal" i.e., a younger guy still on their ELC. The Neal trade was a pretty unique opportunity that might not present itself again.

And I'd be really reluctant to trade Bennett. He might be only viable top 6 wing prospect in the system and it looks like he could be a good one, knock on wood. He'll be cost-controlled for several years and with Malkin, Letang, etc. possibly getting raises, it would be stupid to trade Bennett for a high priced veteran, rental or otherwise.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Likely the team is higher/has placed more value on Pouliot than any other club, so I don't see him being moved, though didn't someone post that Calgary was really high on Pouliot? Man, I want Iginla on this team. Offense would be completely unrivaled and he fits what they need so well it's not even funny. I try not to think about it since I can't ever see it happening.

As someone from Calgary I would not be opposed to seeing him traded for a cup run to the Penguins. The cost wouldnt be cheap though. Im guessing it would have to be in the range of Pouliot and a first. The bidding war on him could get insane and besides what the unwashed masses on this board think I dont see the cost for him being any cheaper then Hossa/Kovy.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
He's on a line he's ripped it up with before. But none of them have played hockey for the past 9 or so months. Give them time to click.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
As someone from Calgary I would not be opposed to seeing him traded for a cup run to the Penguins. The cost wouldnt be cheap though. Im guessing it would have to be in the range of Pouliot and a first. The bidding war on him could get insane and besides what the unwashed masses on this board think I dont see the cost for him being any cheaper then Hossa/Kovy.

You realize Pascal Dupuis was a throw-in with Hossa and he's better than anything the Penguins gave up for Hossa, right?

The equivalent offer would be Kennedy, Tangradi, Maatta, and a 1st for Iginla and a solid veteran 3rd/4th liner.

Kovalchuk was had for a similarly uninspiring collection of meh.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

Isn't Igilnla getting up there in age? Don't know if I'd give too much up for him.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I know this is a win now team, but they are also a team built to contend for many years and because of that I would be very hesitant to give up Bennett unless Shero is absolutely blown away.

Hoping Bennett is a long term fixture with Crosby beginning very, very soon.

I would definitely deal from strength which is obviously dman prospects.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Does Iginla have one of those full NMCs? If so, it could drive down the price a bit as he'll probably want to hand-pick his destination.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Does Iginla have one of those full NMCs? If so, it could drive down the price a bit as he'll probably want to hand-pick his destination.

Well, I'd say Pittsburgh would be a top destination. We're looking to make a cup run.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You realize Pascal Dupuis was a throw-in with Hossa and he's better than anything the Penguins gave up for Hossa, right?

The equivalent offer would be Kennedy, Tangradi, Maatta, and a 1st for Iginla and a solid veteran 3rd/4th liner.

Kovalchuk was had for a similarly uninspiring collection of meh.

I am well aware of the trade. The basis of them all was a good prospect, first rounder and a roster player. However I think a lot more comes into trading Iginla. You are having to pry away a captain and franchise player from a hockey market team. If it comes to the point where both he and the Flames agree to trade him so he can go on a cup run there will be a bidding war. I do not see Boston, Philly or NY standing by and letting the Penguins pick him up without driving up the price first.

Isn't Igilnla getting up there in age? Don't know if I'd give too much up for him.

He is. But he is also in amazing shape and a consistent 30+ goal scorer. He would bring a lot to the Penguins including a great right winger for Sid who is physical and a very dynamic offensive threat.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's basically nobody from the actual roster that I'd want to give up in a winger trade. Maybe Tyler Kennedy. That's about it.

If Ray wants to get a good NHL winger it's going to cost us one of those d prospects. Of those, I really don't know who I'd want to give up because I really like all of them.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Well if we're trading for Bobby Ryan, I'd give up quite a bit.

That's probably a dream, but I wouldn't mind targeting Loui Eriksson either.

That's probably also a dream.

Last edited:

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Who would we have to give up to get Crosby's Neal is what I'm saying

Dan Bylsma, seriously. Until a decision is made that this team is gonna go full on 93 Pens and simply try to out-score you 7-5 every night I just don't see Shero making a move for a top quality winger for Sid.

If we are going to be the defensive team Bylsma is coaching us to be then we really can't part with too much and as such aren't going to get anything in return.

If Fleury/Vokoun start to look like they can stand up to 40 + shots a night every night then maybe Shero has a talk with Bylsma about the direction the team should be going. Barring that happening I think he's gonna keep hoping it's Tangradi, or Bennett, or whomever comes after that.

How many teams have the stars we have on offense? None. Nobody can boast the likes of Sid, Geno and Neal. I think we're gonna have to find a way to make that work. I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have to "make it work" with those options. We have an embarrassment of riches on offense already.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Someone young who can play with Crosby long term. Nobody elite, but not an old guy, either. Perhaps Hornqvist? He's around Crosbys age. I dunno if they are good at D, though...but something to help the loss of Suter a little bit.

AccuracyFive

87SidGeno71
May 16, 2012
Dan Bylsma, seriously. Until a decision is made that this team is gonna go full on 93 Pens and simply try to out-score you 7-5 every night I just don't see Shero making a move for a top quality winger for Sid.

If we are going to be the defensive team Bylsma is coaching us to be then we really can't part with too much and as such aren't going to get anything in return.

If Fleury/Vokoun start to look like they can stand up to 40 + shots a night every night then maybe Shero has a talk with Bylsma about the direction the team should be going. Barring that happening I think he's gonna keep hoping it's Tangradi, or Bennett, or whomever comes after that.

How many teams have the stars we have on offense? None. Nobody can boast the likes of Sid, Geno and Neal. I think we're gonna have to find a way to make that work. I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have to "make it work" with those options. We have an embarrassment of riches on offense already.

I said this in some other thread and I am gonna say it again.

It won't work in the playoffs. Any good defensive team will focus on Crosby and shut him down as much as possible. Kunitz and Dupuis are only so good when it comes to creating plays with the extra space they get. We can't only rely on the malkin line to produce and its not like we are a defensive team that can hold a team to 1 or 2 goals almost every game in 7 game series. Its gonna be tough in the playoffs IMO.

BigBenSF*

Well if we're trading for Bobby Ryan, I'd give up quite a bit.

I would as well. Only guys I wouldn't want in the offer would be Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Sutter, Letang, Fleury, and Morrow. Everyone else would be fair game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We'll have to get pretty lucky to get "Crosby's Neal" i.e., a younger guy still on their ELC. The Neal trade was a pretty unique opportunity that might not present itself again.

And I'd be really reluctant to trade Bennett. He might be only viable top 6 wing prospect in the system and it looks like he could be a good one, knock on wood. He'll be cost-controlled for several years and with Malkin, Letang, etc. possibly getting raises, it would be stupid to trade Bennett for a high priced veteran, rental or otherwise.

Unless a right shot is coming back I'd be hard pressed to deal Bennett on that reason alone.

BigBenSF*

I'd definitely deal Morrow to get Ryan. I'd deal any of the Pens' Dmen assets beside Letang to get Ryan.

On second thought, you're probably right. I just wouldn't want to deal two or more of our top 3 defensive prospects in a deal for Ryan.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I definitely don't see how we can give up the likes of Paul Martin or Brooks Orpik. Our defense is sketchy enough as it is, I don't want to be relying on one of Engelland or Despres to play top 4 minutes.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I definitely don't see how we can give up the likes of Paul Martin or Brooks Orpik. Our defense is sketchy enough as it is, I don't want to be relying on one of Engelland or Despres to play top 4 minutes.

If this was about the Ryan trade I'm pretty sure they are talking about the young prospects anyway (Despres, Morrow, Pouliot, Maatta, Dumoulin, Harrington)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It depends on the deal. If a player like Ryan is being talked about then maybe even Kunitz can be given. Sure it would make for another hole but getting second wheels is harder than getting third wheels.

Clowe would be great but another name from the Sharks is Havlat.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We obviously have some nice prospects on the defensive side of the ledger. The thing is that prospects rarely get you much, even highly touted prospects. Not until they get at least a couple of years under their belts where they show that they can do it in the NHL. They can still have some rough edges, or 'room to grow' as people like to say, but they need to show something before they are worth much of anything.

You all would be shocked if you saw how little any of those prospects would bring back in an actual trade. And a pretty stupid use of assets for a team that has Crosby from age 25 on through the remainder of his career. Our window is not closing any time soon. Trade seasoned assets as we move cheap rookies into their spots when ready.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
We obviously have some nice prospects on the defensive side of the ledger. The thing is that prospects rarely get you much, even highly touted prospects. Not until they get at least a couple of years under their belts where they show that they can do it in the NHL. They can still have some rough edges, or 'room to grow' as people like to say, but they need to show something before they are worth much of anything.

You all would be shocked if you saw how little any of those prospects would bring back in an actual trade. And a pretty stupid use of assets for a team that has Crosby from age 25 on through the remainder of his career. Our window is not closing any time soon. Trade seasoned assets as we move cheap rookies into their spots when ready.

Agree with everything except the last sentence has me a little confused. Which seasoned assets do you mean? I don't see much we can get rid of that would yield anything in return.

On a general note: Does anyone else have a much more grounded opinion of our D prospects since that HF article came out? Morrow is having trouble scoring and has been a healthy scratch on several occasions??? Dumoulin has been a frequent healthy scratch?? Both those guys were supposed to have minor chances at making the team, especially Morrow. Pouliot and Maata are unknown commodities right now, so we're not left with nearly as much to trade as I think people assume. Believe me I'm sure Morrow and Dumoulin can improve and they are young, but according to that HF article the Penguin/Pittsburgh media went WAY overboard and REALLY jumped the gun as far as stating what we had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad