If We Trade for a Winger for Sid, Who do We Part With?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Do you think a trade like this is possible:

Jaden Schwartz for Joe Morrow + Dumoulin/Harrington? Schwartz looks like a beast. Blues don't have very highly touted defensive prospects and Morrow could turn out to be the partner Pietriangelo needs. Or is this far-fetched?

To say nothing of the value, I wouldn't do much if I were the Blues. They're about as good as anyone in the league I think. Maybe trade for a cheap depth guy that's won the Cup before but I don't think I'd go swapping young players, especially for ones that aren't ready to play.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Neidereitter has asked for a trade. What do we give up for him?

I'm put off that he's asked for a trade. 20 year olds on ELCs shouldn't dictate terms with their teams. TSN just reported that GMGS was "taken aback" by Nino's "request" and doesn't intend to trade him. I think they see him sliding into their top 6 very nicely in the next coulpe of seasons and don't anticipate them parting with him for anything but an overpayment.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Do you think a trade like this is possible:

Jaden Schwartz for Joe Morrow + Dumoulin/Harrington? Schwartz looks like a beast. Blues don't have very highly touted defensive prospects and Morrow could turn out to be the partner Pietriangelo needs. Or is this far-fetched?

Almost certainly not of much interest to the Blues. Schwartz has made the team, pushing D'Agostini to a healthy scratch and the ELC certainly helps us financially. We have Cole, who is doing a decent job so far with Pietrangelo.

I'm put off that he's asked for a trade. 20 year olds on ELCs shouldn't dictate terms with their teams. TSN just reported that GMGS was "taken aback" by Nino's "request" and doesn't intend to trade him. I think they see him sliding into their top 6 very nicely in the next coulpe of seasons and don't anticipate them parting with him for anything but an overpayment.

I wouldn't put too much judgement on the kid yet. The Islanders completely messed up by not inviting a few players along for the training week just to have a look at them. The kid feels he has something to prove after last season, has done well this season and they didn't even want to take the time to have a look at him with the rest of the NHL roster before the start of the season? Sounds petty, but I think that is the bigger issue than the fact he is still in the AHL.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Almost certainly not of much interest to the Blues. Schwartz has made the team, pushing D'Agostini to a healthy scratch and the ELC certainly helps us financially. We have Cole, who is doing a decent job so far with Pietrangelo.

I wouldn't put too much judgement on the kid yet. The Islanders completely messed up by not inviting a few players along for the training week just to have a look at them. The kid feels he has something to prove after last season, has done well this season and they didn't even want to take the time to have a look at him with the rest of the NHL roster before the start of the season? Sounds petty, but I think that is the bigger issue than the fact he is still in the AHL.

I wouldn't argue for a second that the Islanders are even a semi-competent organization. They're mishandling Nino terribly and it's not the first time they've *****ed up a prospect. With that said, there is sort of an unspoken rule in the NHL about paying your dues. Violating those rules can brand you as a person with an attitude problem, which is a very hard reputation to shake. The conventional time for this kid to voice his displeasure is - at the earliest - when his ELC expires.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yah but if there's really no attitude problem / instead the fear he won't get a shot (or maybe his agent put him up to it), how great would it be to have that kid in our talent pool come September? I doubt though, that the Penguins and Islanders will involve themselves in any kind of trade, anytime soon.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Yah but if there's really no attitude problem / instead the fear he won't get a shot (or maybe his agent put him up to it), how great would it be to have that kid in our talent pool come September? I doubt though, that the Penguins and Islanders will involve themselves in any kind of trade, anytime soon.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him, and I agree with you that it's very unlikely.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Nino seems like he could be in the Rico Fata mold. Great skating propels him to elite draft status, translates to fringe NHLer. I'll pass, mostly because they'll want a 1st +++ just for where they picked him.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012

They didn't even invite the kid to training camp.

No wonder he has "attitude issues" or whatever. He's probably just legitimately annoyed with the Islanders.

I don't know if he's NHL ready just yet, but on a team like the Islanders he should of at least been given a chance to play a few games and prove people wrong.

I'd give Maata for him.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
They didn't even invite the kid to training camp.

No wonder he has "attitude issues" or whatever. He's probably just legitimately annoyed with the Islanders.

I don't know if he's NHL ready just yet, but on a team like the Islanders he should of at least been given a chance to play a few games and prove people wrong.

I'd give Maata for him.

Perhaps you haven't followed the situation. They played him extensively (I think 50+ games) last season and he floundered, so it's not as though he hasn't been "given a chance." The consensus seems to be that he was rushed and the the Islanders have handled his development extremely poorly. I'm inclined to believe that. Nonetheless, I don't like a guy on an ELC demanding a trade.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not saying to trade for him.

But Neal was said to have an 'attitude problem' and would not sign with Dallas. Then he came here and signed a very reasonable long term contract, no muss no fuss. Now they seem to be having the same 'attitude problem' thing with Benn.

Sometimes the attitude problem is not with the player but the team.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Perhaps you haven't followed the situation. They played him extensively (I think 50+ games) last season and he floundered, so it's not as though he hasn't been "given a chance." The consensus seems to be that he was rushed and the the Islanders have handled his development extremely poorly. I'm inclined to believe that. Nonetheless, I don't like a guy on an ELC demanding a trade.

About last season... Snow made it clear he would be in the NHL all year, the plan was to be on Tavares' wing. That went pear-shaped when he got injured, on his return to fitness he had to sit out for weeks before eventually being dumped on the 4th line. That is not being "given a chance", that is being set up to fail. In the right situation I don't think there would have been an issue with him being in the NHL last season.

I totally agree with your general opinion players on ELC's demanding trades, but there are exceptions to these things. I don't know how realistic it would be for them to consider dealing him within the Division, but he seems like the perfect fit for your team (big, physical, shoot-first winger).

Sideline

May 23, 2004
About last season... Snow made it clear he would be in the NHL all year, the plan was to be on Tavares' wing. That went pear-shaped when he got injured, on his return to fitness he had to sit out for weeks before eventually being dumped on the 4th line. That is not being "given a chance", that is being set up to fail. In the right situation I don't think there would have been an issue with him being in the NHL last season.

I totally agree with your general opinion players on ELC's demanding trades, but there are exceptions to these things. I don't know how realistic it would be for them to consider dealing him within the Division, but he seems like the perfect fit for your team (big, physical, shoot-first winger).

This is my read on it as well. I'm a big Nino fan. If Maatta and pick gets it done I make that trade yesterday.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I wouldn't argue for a second that the Islanders are even a semi-competent organization. They're mishandling Nino terribly and it's not the first time they've *****ed up a prospect. With that said, there is sort of an unspoken rule in the NHL about paying your dues. Violating those rules can brand you as a person with an attitude problem, which is a very hard reputation to shake. The conventional time for this kid to voice his displeasure is - at the earliest - when his ELC expires.

The absolute vast majority of the time I would agree with 100% of this, however, this just may be one of those times that the Islanders organization is simply dropping the ball. It clearly wouldn't be the first time.

We will probably only know what the media wants us to, but for whatever reason I'm inclined to give this kid a pass (unfortunately my opinion means squat for the guy).

However unlikely, I wouldn't mind seeing him in black and gold.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
The absolute vast majority of the time I would agree with 100% of this, however, this just may be one of those times that the Islanders organization is simply dropping the ball. It clearly wouldn't be the first time.

We will probably only know what the media wants us to, but for whatever reason I'm inclined to give this kid a pass (unfortunately my opinion means squat for the guy).

However unlikely, I wouldn't mind seeing him in black and gold.

Fair enough.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Just a question would pits fan want a winger like Keseel? I'm not posting any trade proposals or demanding Malkin for Kessel straight up. But I'm just wondering if you guys would want a speedy sniper type player. Or a more power forward type player like Kane.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just a question would pits fan want a winger like Keseel? I'm not posting any trade proposals or demanding Malkin for Kessel straight up. But I'm just wondering if you guys would want a speedy sniper type player. Or a more power forward type player like Kane.

No, but Seguin + Hamilton + 1st rounder (+) would help start the conversation.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
No, but Seguin + Hamilton + 1st rounder (+) would help start the conversation.

Lol what? I can't tell if this is friendly joking or some sort of attack :p. Hamilton + a 1st aren't even wingers..... I just asked if the pens want a more offensive player or a more power player for the wing. It's a simple question I would think.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Penguins aren't so much looking for star wingers as complimentary wingers that can support Sid and Geno. they really aren't in the market for a Phill the Thrill. Kuelmin and maybe MacArthur on the other hand are a different story.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lol what? I can't tell if this is friendly joking or some sort of attack :p. Hamilton + a 1st aren't even wingers..... I just asked if the pens want a more offensive player or a more power player for the wing. It's a simple question I would think.

I can assure you that it's friendly joking.

To answer your question, if the Leafs decided to move Kessel, then I could see the Pens being interested. Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel would have a nice ring. Problem is, I don't see Shero moving, outside of Crosby and Malkin, Neal, Sutter, Kunitz, Letang, or Orpik to get him.

So, with those guys off the table, what type of package works? Bennett? One of the defensive prospects outside of Morrow?

Unless the Leafs are out and Nonis is trying to clear cap space to say take a run at both Getzlaf and Perry, I don't see us as good partners for Kessel?

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
How about a trade based around:

Mason Raymond

for

Matt Niskanen

Both players have a similar salary cap hits, Raymond is a UFA after this year, Niskanen after next and the Pens would be dealing from an area of strength.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
How about a trade based around:

Mason Raymond

for

Matt Niskanen

Both players have a similar salary cap hits, Raymond is a UFA after this year, Niskanen after next and the Pens would be dealing from an area of strength.

Canucks fans may entertain this one. Raymond has seemingly fallen out of favor there since his back injury and the decline in his production that followed. With that said, with Kes and Booth out, the Canucks need every ounce of top 6 help they can get and may not like the idea of parting with Raymond at this time. Value-wise, I think this is close to a fair deal but truth be told I wouldn't do it as a Pens fan because I think Niskanen is a fantastic low cost option to pair up with Letang in the long term. Just my $0.02.

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I was just considering your depth situation at Defence vs Offense, and I thought Niskanen was the only guy who looked somewhat redundant with Despres, Morrow, Pouliot, and Demuolin in the ranks.

Kesler and Booth are expected to be back in the lineup within the next two weeks, so that is the time-frame I was expecting this trade to potentially take place.

I couldn't agree with you more about Raymond looking like a poor option last year, but this year with a full offseason of conditioning rather than rest and rehab, he looks more like old self and is creating more offense and causing defenceman fits with his speed while still maintaining and excellent defensive game. I have not seen much of Niskanen to this point so far, but was considering all factors, age, UFA status, team depth, etc when I made the proposal.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
So, Shero is trading Lovejoy to make room for Eaton.

Doubt hes drowning in calls if hes trying to move Lovejoy. Dont really care if its Lovejoy or Eaton as no.7/8 defenseman tbh. If we can get something for lovejoy and Eaton for free i guess im ok with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad