If We Trade for a Winger for Sid, Who do We Part With?

timi0000

Mar 22, 2012
If the season goes on and it looks like we need to trade for a winger for Sid, who do we part with? Who do you think other teams will think is valuable enough on our roster we would be willing to trade to get a top notch winger?

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
It would depend on the calibre of player we were receiving and the needs of the team sending that player our way.

If I had to guess, a "star" acquisition would see us necessarily parting ways with Orpik +, a lesser player might see us part with some combination of a roster player and one/some of our D prospects.

BigBenSF*

Depends on how good the winger is. Are we talking like a Perry type player or a Stewart type player?

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
I think it depends on how good the player is,and how good Despres is by then.
If he's good enough to play top 4 mins by then, we could give up Niskanen Orpik or Martin. I would also be comfortable giving a good d prospect, and Jeffery or tangradi.
And finally, if the players good enough, a first round pick. It's a deep, forward draft so I'm only fine with giving up that pick if we're getting someone great back.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
If they trade prospects/picks, and I imagine they would since the current roster doesn't have much desirable upside outside of guys who won't be moved, it'd likely be a combination of Maata+high draft picks/depth prospects like Samuelsson depending on the winger in question. The only other high profile guy I'd feel pretty confident about them moving in a deal is Dumoulin. He's got size, is a smart player, is solid offensively and likely could play in a bottom-6 role right now for a number of teams. I think the Pens would be more apt to moving Maata since he is much further away from contributing.

Despres on the team and won't be moved.

Morrow is only going to be moved in the case of a big return, i.e. Iginla.

Likely the team is higher/has placed more value on Pouliot than any other club, so I don't see him being moved, though didn't someone post that Calgary was really high on Pouliot? Man, I want Iginla on this team. Offense would be completely unrivaled and he fits what they need so well it's not even funny. I try not to think about it since I can't ever see it happening.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bennett, Morrow, 1st round picks, etc.

Bennett showing signs of NHL readiness gives us the ability to go after a big fish now. I'd keep Morrow just b/c he's a year or 2 away and his value right now isn't high enough to warrant moving him. Especially with what he can bring for our team.

Despres could be moved if we bring in a #5 for the postseason. He could prove to be a good piece in bringing in a Neal type player. Young and either a RFA or signed. Our other pieces would likely land more a rental type.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If it's a sure thing (like Clowe) and a younger guy, I could see us moving Bennett + a high pick or D prospect. If it's someone who's older, I don't think we'll move Bennett.

Almost forgot: "trade Martin". I don't care how much you bandwagoners love him now. I know better. In a month you'll want him gone. ;)

Last edited:

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
We don't necessarily need Derrick Pouliot, we have Joe Morrow, who already is an offensive defenseman. Our trade package should include a 2013 1st round draft pick, Derrick Pouliot and Tyler Kennedy/Matt Cooke/Eric Tangradi.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Has to be one of our defensive prospect/s. Its the only thing we have a surplus & wouldn't subtract from our current team which is a pretty good one.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
We don't necessarily need Derrick Pouliot, we have Joe Morrow, who already is an offensive defenseman. Our trade package should include a 2013 1st round draft pick, Derrick Pouliot and Tyler Kennedy/Matt Cooke/Eric Tangradi.

This would hurt our team a lot. Even Kennedy wouldn't hurt a little. Makes no sense to trade Cooke who does so much for us that helps us win games.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Well, it depends on how you look at it. If we do trade Matt Cooke in a package (which is unlikely) are we getting a power forward back?

Then who is going to put up 15+ goals on the third line, hit everything that moves, be a elite penalty killer ect... Losing a Cooke doesn't help us get closer to the playoffs unless the return is huge.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Then who is going to put up 15+ goals on the third line, hit everything that moves, be a elite penalty killer ect... Losing a Cooke doesn't help us get closer to the playoffs unless the return is huge.

Perhaps we would give Eric Tangradi the third line role. Sure, he doesn't kill penalties or play as physical as Matt Cooke. But, I think he would be fine on our third line. We always have Dustin Jeffrey too.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Perhaps we would give Eric Tangradi the third line role. Sure, he doesn't kill penalties or play as physical as Matt Cooke. But, I think he would be fine on our third line. We always have Dustin Jeffrey too.

I think you vastly under value what Cookie does for us. Tangradi isn't even close. At this rate he's about a dozen games away from waivers.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

I'd much rather lose Kennedy than Cooke, and other teams may be more interested in Kennedy than Cooke (based on his suspensions). Get the winger for Sid, drop Dupuis to the 3rd line. Improvement all around.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Before we trade for a winger, I'd want to see Bennett in that role first.

This.

We need to use what we have first so see if it fist the hand like the glove it could.

If Bennett doesn't work out. Which I highly doubt, then I suspect he would be tradeable + a 1st for someone like Clowe or Iginla. Not that I suspect we'll trade for a winger like that though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad