NHL Entry Draft If we somehow end up picking Dahlin, is EK's fate sealed?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would it then be time to do a real, complete rebuild?
Polar opposite, time to retool with a coach that pushes the pace and activates the D core. Ottawa would have the best D in the league by far. A top 4 of

Dahlin Kalrsson
Chabot Ceci

Thats electric.

Ducharme would be the perfect coach for this group if he has them play the same style that Canada did. Which is also very similar to how Vegas plays.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If Ottawa was lucky enough to get Dahlin, you try to re-sign EK and make a push towards the Cup for the next five seasons.

Absolutely, we don't know what Dahlin's ceiling is, but we know Karlsson is a generational player, you keep them both and Chabot and take over the world... muahahaha!

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The bit I saw of Dahlin he seems to have more Chabot in him than EK. Nothing wrong with having all 3 they are at different stages of development.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The bit I saw of Dahlin he seems to have more Chabot in him than EK. Nothing wrong with having all 3 they are at different stages of development.

Dahlin is very similar to Chabot stylistically

He's just a much more advanced player at the same age.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This is why I don't understand people saying they'd rather lose the 1st this year. Getting Dahlin would be like adding a free top-4 D, and pushing down players playing over their ability right now. Ottawa would be a playoff team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ceci is a shutdown D. He plays primarily defensive minutes against the best forwards the opposition has to offer.

The people who think he's an offensive D seem to be the ones most disappointed with him.
I don't think hes a shutdown defender nor an offensive one. He's not good at being either.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don't think hes a shutdown defender nor an offensive one. He's not good at being either.
Fact remains a young RD is a commodity and almost every GM is always looking for one. Ceci happens to be 2nd best on Ottawa's depth chart, he has the physical ability that Phaneuf constantly tries to account for as he has been declining with mileage in those departments. Ceci may not be the best top-4 and there are many better at his age group and experience level, but they are either pricey or downright unavailable.

Until Chabot becomes a regular contributor after a season+ of hockey, Ceci's who the Sens' got as a top-4 minute eater.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is why I don't understand people saying they'd rather lose the 1st this year. Getting Dahlin would be like adding a free top-4 D, and pushing down players playing over their ability right now. Ottawa would be a playoff team.

It all depends how things shake out.

Obviously, if you hit the lotto jackpot and get a first overall pick, you want to keep it.

But, picking somewhere in the 6-10 range, and walking into next season not knowing if Erik is going to stay and knowing the 2019 is definitely gone....that's a hard spot to be in.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Honestly, I would love for EK to retire a Senator and have an Alfy like legacy with Ottawa.... that being said, if you get Dahlin you at least have to see what Karlsson would fetch in a trade.

Because Dahlin + pieces coming back in EK trade + Chabot/White/Brown/Chlapik/Batherson/Formenton/Jaros + core of Hoffman/Stone/Duchene would be the best way to truly rebuild the franchise.

After that, ship out Phaneuf/Ryan/Smith/Ceci for whatever you can reasonably get and our team would be better off for the next 7+ years.]

But again, nothing wrong with Karlsson, Dahlin and Chabot as a top 3 (would be the best Dcore in the league at that point). I'm just afraid that Karlsson might regress and command 11-13+ million a year, which would hurt the franchise just as much as keeping him now would save it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Dahlin is very similar to Chabot stylistically

He's just a much more advanced player at the same age.

Me and my buddy we're discussing dahlin vs chabot because we too thought they looked very similar in style. We started discussing at what point dahlin becomes better than chabot. My buddy says earlier this year dahlin has surpassed chabot...but last year's chabot had a better world juniors than dahlin this year and chabot has improved in a calendar year... I think dahlin surpasses chabot next year.

What do you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad