NHL Entry Draft If we somehow end up picking Dahlin, is EK's fate sealed?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There’s evidence that elite players win you cups. We’re not signing any.this team isn’t in rebuild shape right now anyway.

What we're talking about though is trading assets for lottery tickets. That's a big difference.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Well which assets? Are Thompson burrows and others enough of sure things to not trade for lottery tickets ?
Haha. Yeah I'm fine with trading them for whatever asset comes back. They should already be gone. My concern is the Hoff for 12th overall type trades.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If we got Dahlin, you ride it out with Karlsson no questions about it to me. If it doesn't work as well as I think it should, then you look at moving EK at the deadline assuming Chabot keeps up his play as a top 4 guy, and Ceci improves even marginally offensively.

Chabot - Karlsson
Dahlen-Ceci

Not a top core yet, but the absolute potential to be a top 3-5 corps in a few short years.

Speaking of Ceci, he gets way too much hate on these boards. He's only 24, and historically the offense comes much later for defenseman. He is pretty good positionally, not as physical as I would like, but there is untapped upside there imo. I think the past few games, he has been much more actively offensively jumping into the play. Hes never going to be a 40 point guy, but a solid all situations 30 point player is a solid top 4 guy. If we have those other three, then he truly is a #4 which he should be.

The only thing I worry about Ceci is his offensive IQ. While I mention he has been more active offensively, once he crosses that opposing blue line he is lost. If he just learned to get the puck to Dahlen in the right moments, that's about all the Sens would need from him offensively.

Running the 3 OFD on the powerplays, and a forward manning the point on the 2nd pp would be just fine.

As for Ryan and Phaneuf, there are going to have to be assets attached to those guys to move them. I would keep them another two years or so each so their contract durations are more bearable, and then look to move them. I don't want to attach quality picks and or some of our top 5 prospects to those guys just to save money. Phaneuf is still a serviceable second pair guy, and ideally Ryan would stay on the third line with Pageau if White breaks out in the next while and becomes that 2C the Sens desperately need. I like White, and could see that happening. He could even be the 3C and you could run 3 scoring lines as Pageau has chemistry with Stone.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If we got Dahlin, you ride it out with Karlsson no questions about it to me. If it doesn't work as well as I think it should, then you look at moving EK at the deadline assuming Chabot keeps up his play as a top 4 guy, and Ceci improves even marginally offensively.

Chabot - Karlsson
Dahlen-Ceci

Not a top core yet, but the absolute potential to be a top 3-5 corps in a few short years.

Speaking of Ceci, he gets way too much hate on these boards. He's only 24, and historically the offense comes much later for defenseman. He is pretty good positionally, not as physical as I would like, but there is untapped upside there imo. I think the past few games, he has been much more actively offensively jumping into the play. Hes never going to be a 40 point guy, but a solid all situations 30 point player is a solid top 4 guy. If we have those other three, then he truly is a #4 which he should be.

The only thing I worry about Ceci is his offensive IQ. While I mention he has been more active offensively, once he crosses that opposing blue line he is lost. If he just learned to get the puck to Dahlen in the right moments, that's about all the Sens would need from him offensively.

Running the 3 OFD on the powerplays, and a forward manning the point on the 2nd pp would be just fine.

As for Ryan and Phaneuf, there are going to have to be assets attached to those guys to move them. I would keep them another two years or so each so their contract durations are more bearable, and then look to move them. I don't want to attach quality picks and or some of our top 5 prospects to those guys just to save money. Phaneuf is still a serviceable second pair guy, and ideally Ryan would stay on the third line with Pageau if White breaks out in the next while and becomes that 2C the Sens desperately need. I like White, and could see that happening. He could even be the 3C and you could run 3 scoring lines as Pageau has chemistry with Stone.
Why are you worried about his hockey IQ? Didn't you state in a paragraph above that his offense will come? No need to worry then.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->