NHL Entry Draft If we somehow end up picking Dahlin, is EK's fate sealed?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't think hes a shutdown defender nor an offensive one. He's not good at being either.

It's a good thing that Ottawas' coaching staff does not care what you think.

They know what Ceci is, and that's why over the past two seasons he logged the second most TOI for the Sens D corp, behind only EK65.

You have to admit your hatred for Ceci clouds your opinion on how he plays, because in the reality that we all live in, he has been in the shutdown role for good reason.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

They know what Ceci is, and that's why over the past two seasons he logged the second most TOI for the Sens D corp, behind only EK65.

You have to admit your hatred for Ceci clouds your opinion on how he plays, because in the reality that we all live in, he has been in the shutdown role for good reason.

That's more due to us not having better defenseman, not due to ceci actually being a good quality #2 defenseman...

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Who said I hated Ceci? I think I am pretty impartial when it comes to criticizing players on this team

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not a knock on you, but it couldn't be more obvious he was being sarcastic.

Is it actually sarcasm or just humour? Isn't sarcasm intended to use humour while really meaning the opposite? I don't think he meant the opposite, but he did mean it to be funny.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
HOT TAKE: If EK suffers career-ending injury by the end of this season his fate with Senators is sealed.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's a complicated question.

As a budget team, do the Senators go with the Nashville model and build around an all-world defense of Chabot-Karl/Dahlin-Ceci/(Insert two of Jaros, Claesson, Englund, Harpur, etc).

Or do the Senators capitalize on Karlsson's value, trade him for a franchise C or a package of young players?

With any team, it all comes down to cap, with the Senators the problem is exasperated due to their (current) 68M budget. If we draft Dahlin, without a doubt the floor for him will be something similar to Ekblad which is a 7.5M x 8 years after his ELC. Should we set ourselves up for a situation where we are paying Dahlin and Karlsson a combined salary of as much as 20 million? Once we sign Karlsson, he'll most likely have a full NMC, so there's no sign Karlsson now, trade him when Dahlin's ELC is up.

On the flipside, Phaneuf's deal expires the same year Dahlin's ELC would kick in, while Ryan's deal expires the year after that. So it's plausible the team could pay both Dahlin and Karlsson.

The question basically becomes, what is more likely to give us a cup, going all in while Dahlin is on his ELC by keeping Karlsson, or trading Karlsson for a massive package of young cost controlled talent and hoping to re-tool and make the team more competitive a few seasons down the line at the expense of winning now.

The odds of us getting Dahlin are incredibly low, but I guess it's fun to discuss.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
If Ottawa was lucky enough to get Dahlin, you try to re-sign EK and make a push towards the Cup for the next five seasons.

Assumed this is where the OP was going, opened the thread and was like trade him?????

If we get Dahlin, you run him EK and Chabot out there as much as possible and push all the monies to the center.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The idea of Dahlin, Karlsson, and Chabot is pretty enticing. I would not want to give up that.

I also think that drafting Dahlin would definitely spur some additional ticket sales. 1st OA typically does afterall, and he's got some good hype behind him.

If we trade off Karlsson, a mixed message would be sent. Buy tickets because we got a star of the future, but btw we're offloading the best player to ever play for the franchise...

I'd try to build around him, Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman and Duchene. Everybody else, outside of the rookies and prospects (Chabot, White, Brown ect) would be tradable. If you could unload Ryan and Phaneuf, you could really fast tract things, even if it meant retaining salary to move them. Once the retention comes off the books, it likely gets eaten up to extend Dahlin though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dahlin on an ELC would be a blessing. He and another forward on ELC's making big contributions would be huge.

Then Sens need to hit a big gun forward on an ELC. A guy who jumps into the top 6 and turns into a core player immediately. I'm not sure Brown/Batherson fit that criteria.

I'd give my left nut for Borgstrom out of Florida. I dream of getting him somehow in a trade where we ream the other team for once. I think he is going to be a big player very soon.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not a knock on you, but it's not that bold when the odds are so much in your favour.
7T7YxNO.gif

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That's more due to us not having better defenseman, not due to ceci actually being a good quality #2 defenseman...

Like most teams, you play the cards you're dealt.

Turris was not a #1 Center, but we played his as one.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dahlin on an ELC would be a blessing. He and another forward on ELC's making big contributions would be huge.

Then Sens need to hit a big gun forward on an ELC. A guy who jumps into the top 6 and turns into a core player immediately. I'm not sure Brown/Batherson fit that criteria.

I'd give my left nut for Borgstrom out of Florida. I dream of getting him somehow in a trade where we ream the other team for once. I think he is going to be a big player very soon.

Are you a reincarnated John Candy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->