If we sign Hemsky, who should we target for LW on that line

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I do like the Kulemin idea tbh. I like his skillset but the production hasn't been great (save one year). I'd roll the dice on him.

It's not going to be another star player though.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Michalek should be let go, he has no value otherwise teams would have traded for him at the deadline like Moulson or Vanek.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I would keep Michalek for cheap and get rid of Condra and Greening.

I would like to see something like this if Hemsky could play LW

Hemsky- Spezza- Stewart
McArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Michalek
Smith-Pageau-Stone

Have Smith play LW from the beginning of training camp to get him used to playing the left side. We also need to upgrade our d and if Ryan doesn`t want to re-sign by the end of summer then, trade him to Philly for Simmonds.

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
As a fan of Hemsky I am very glad to see him in a good position and strangely find myself on the Sens bandwagon even though I've long felt an unreasonable dislike for the team. Hemsky is an awesome player and one of the most spontaneously entertaining players I've watched since Bure. Enjoy him.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Sens are my second favorite team and we called the trade the night before it happened. Glad he's a Senator and hopefully he'll resign.

Having said that, imo the best player that could go on a line with Spezza and Hemmer is a board player to get them the puck. You need someone that can run the cycle and win the battles along the boards then drive directly to the net.
Hemsky likes to curl at the top of blue line in the offensive zone so it opens up a player on the wing across, as well as a shooting lane infront. Spezza already knows this and Hemmer has set him up for a few one timers from those angles.
Just needs someone willing to drive the net and block out another defender.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Michalek should be let go, he has no value otherwise teams would have traded for him at the deadline like Moulson or Vanek.

Michalek's value was drastically effected by his injury history and his lackluster play thus far this season. I for one think he's a much better player than what that value would currently suggest.

This is a team that consistently ices Greening-Condra-Kassian etc. on our bottom pairings. In what world would you take any of those players over Michalek?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
MacArthur they need someone who will work hard is defensively responsible and will go get the puck for them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens are my second favorite team and we called the trade the night before it happened. Glad he's a Senator and hopefully he'll resign.

Having said that, imo the best player that could go on a line with Spezza and Hemmer is a board player to get them the puck. You need someone that can run the cycle and win the battles along the boards then drive directly to the net.
Hemsky likes to curl at the top of blue line in the offensive zone so it opens up a player on the wing across, as well as a shooting lane infront. Spezza already knows this and Hemmer has set him up for a few one timers from those angles.
Just needs someone willing to drive the net and block out another defender.

Bingo

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Michalek isn't worth bringing back IMO. I like your Hoffman idea. With Hoffman playing wing on that line the Sens could go with:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
??? - Zibanejad - Lazar
Greening - Smith - Condra

Then just pick up a good board playing LW to put on that 3rd line and that's a pretty decent group of forwards.

I won't be surprised if Michalek is re-sign, unless BM/PM/LR believe one of Schneider or Pueplel is NHL ready. That leaves at least two possible combinations for the Spezza and Zibanejad lines.

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky or
Hoffman-Spezza-Hemsky

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone or
Schneider/Puempel-Zibanejad-Stone

The Smith line is where I would like to see a serious upgrade on the wings, but I don't expect any major changes.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Why on Earth are people suggesting Jagr? The man is already 42, and he certainly is not getting faster or better at this stage in his career.

Anyway, if we somehow manage to sign Hemsky the budget will play a huge role in what happens next. Odds are good that Hoffman or one of the Bingo guys will be inserted on the other side.

I plan to enjoy having 6 legit top 6 forwards while it lasts.

TruSensCoach

Mar 5, 2014
michalek isn't worth bringing back imo. I like your hoffman idea. With hoffman playing wing on that line the sens could go with:

Macarthur - turris - ryan
hoffman - spezza - hemsky
??? - zibanejad - lazar
greening - smith - condra

then just pick up a good board playing lw to put on that 3rd line and that's a pretty decent group of forwards.
mark stone

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Why on Earth are people suggesting Jagr? The man is already 42, and he certainly is not getting faster or better at this stage in his career.

Anyway, if we somehow manage to sign Hemsky the budget will play a huge role in what happens next. Odds are good that Hoffman or one of the Bingo guys will be inserted on the other side.

While Jagr wouldn't be my first choice, he's on pace for 70 points as the leading scorer on an offensively inept Devils team.

Add to the fact that he has a legendary work ethic, doesn't rely on speed, and is one of the top players of all time.

Selanne has fallen off a cliff at 42, but his game is 100% based on speed. I think Jagr will be a top 6 guy for as long as he chooses to continue to play hockey.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
While Jagr wouldn't be my first choice, he's on pace for 70 points as the leading scorer on an offensively inept Devils team.

Add to the fact that he has a legendary work ethic, doesn't rely on speed, and is one of the top players of all time.

Selanne has fallen off a cliff at 42, but his game is 100% based on speed. I think Jagr will be a top 6 guy for as long as he chooses to continue to play hockey.

Actually, Selanne is a very good comparable here. Selanne's game has not been based on speed since he hit his 40s. There is only so far a player can advance in years before they hit a wall. Even Alfie will hit a wall once the 40s start to tick on.

We can agree to disagree, but if our big move this offseason is locking up a 43 year winger I would be pretty unhappy.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
With Conacher already gone, if we don't re-sign Michalek we suddenly are short at the LW position. But let's see what we can do in-house if we can't re-sign Michalek...

I wouldn't want Hoffman on Spezza's wing. We need someone who can cover up defensively for Spezza and/or who can make space for him in the offensive zone. So my choice would be MacArthur (complete player) or Greening (makes space but not much else).

Hoffman could be a better fit with Turris.

Greening - Spezza - Hemsky
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
MacArthur - Da Costa - Ziba
Condra - Smith - Stone/Neil <- or find/promote a LW and move Condra to RW

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Signing Phillips probably means they will ship a young defenceman out which is real unfortunate. I expect that with 8 defencemen signed for next season that BM will trade one of them & the most likely candidate IMO is the PMD Wiercioch.

I could see a package deal that brings Chris Stewart to Ottawa this summer to replace Michalek who IMO will leave for more money than will be offered him in Ottawa. Hopefully, Condra will also be part of that deal.

Hemsky - Spezza - Stewart
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad