If we sign Hemsky, who should we target for LW on that line

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Signing Phillips probably means they will ship a young defenceman out which is real unfortunate. I expect that with 8 defencemen signed for next season that BM will trade one of them & the most likely candidate IMO is the PMD Wiercioch.

I could see a package deal that brings Chris Stewart to Ottawa this summer to replace Michalek who IMO will leave for more money than will be offered him in Ottawa. Hopefully, Condra will also be part of that deal.

Hemsky - Spezza - Stewart
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

You can't do an imaginary trade for Stewart that only sees Condra and Weir leaving. If you don't realize by now, nobody wants those players, especially Tim Murray.

Teams want players like we gave up in the Ryan trade. Buffalo has already stated they don't really want more draft picks, so who are you willing to give up?

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
With Conacher already gone, if we don't re-sign Michalek we suddenly are short at the LW position. But let's see what we can do in-house if we can't re-sign Michalek...

I wouldn't want Hoffman on Spezza's wing. We need someone who can cover up defensively for Spezza and/or who can make space for him in the offensive zone. So my choice would be MacArthur (complete player) or Greening (makes space but not much else).

Hoffman could be a better fit with Turris.

Totally disagree w.r.t. Hoffman. He's the fastest player on the team (probably one of the fastest in the league), and he backhecks hard. If anyone can "cover up" for Spezza's nonexistent backchecking, Hoffman can.

MacArthur has been excellent with Turris and had immediate chemistry with him. I don't think splitting them up is a great idea.

I think the best lines for next year would be:

Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
Zibanejad/UFA - Zibanejad/Lazar - Lazar/UFA
Greening - Smith - Condra

The Turris line with Ryan on it is a legit #1 line IMO. Mac and Turris are fast, and Mac and Ryan can both hit. You can safely give that line a big chunk of the ES minutes and some PP time.

The 2nd line you can try to use against mismatches: after an icing call, when the opponent sends out their 3rd/4th line, etc. You can also give them the bulk of the PP time.

Then they just need to sign a winger who's really good along the boards to play on that 3rd line. Lazar and Zibby are both opposite shots so you've got some flexibility there. Honestly, someone with a similar skillset to Nick Foligno would be great, especially if he doesn't take as many penalties.

The 4th line is pretty obvious. Waive/trade Kassian, keep Neil as the 13th forward and sign another winger on the cheap or promote an older forward from Bingo for the 14th spot.

The best thing about that Lineup IMO is that you can also mix/match wingers around in the top 3 lines and 2 of them will always have a decent amount of offensive firepower on them.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Signing Phillips probably means they will ship a young defenceman out which is real unfortunate. I expect that with 8 defencemen signed for next season that BM will trade one of them & the most likely candidate IMO is the PMD Wiercioch.

I could see a package deal that brings Chris Stewart to Ottawa this summer to replace Michalek who IMO will leave for more money than will be offered him in Ottawa. Hopefully, Condra will also be part of that deal.

Hemsky - Spezza - Stewart
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

That defense still blows after Methot - Karlsson, and you've got both Stone and Hemsky playing the wrong wing. Also the GSN line is ****ing terrible.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Totally disagree w.r.t. Hoffman. He's the fastest player on the team (probably one of the fastest in the league), and he backhecks hard. If anyone can "cover up" for Spezza's nonexistent backchecking, Hoffman can.

MacArthur has been excellent with Turris and had immediate chemistry with him. I don't think splitting them up is a great idea.

I think the best lines for next year would be:

Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
Zibanejad/UFA - Zibanejad/Lazar - Lazar/UFA
Greening - Smith - Condra

The Turris line with Ryan on it is a legit #1 line IMO. Mac and Turris are fast, and Mac and Ryan can both hit. You can safely give that line a big chunk of the ES minutes and some PP time.

The 2nd line you can try to use against mismatches: after an icing call, when the opponent sends out their 3rd/4th line, etc. You can also give them the bulk of the PP time.

Then they just need to sign a winger who's really good along the boards to play on that 3rd line. Lazar and Zibby are both opposite shots so you've got some flexibility there. Honestly, someone with a similar skillset to Nick Foligno would be great, especially if he doesn't take as many penalties.

The 4th line is pretty obvious. Waive/trade Kassian, keep Neil as the 13th forward and sign another winger on the cheap or promote an older forward from Bingo for the 14th spot.

The best thing about that Lineup IMO is that you can also mix/match wingers around in the top 3 lines and 2 of them will always have a decent amount of offensive firepower on them.
OK, you convinced me. I am just a little unsure still about Hoffman's defensive abilities. Him being fast is no use offensively on Spezza's line, but if he can backcheck hard and use his speed to cover up for Spezza's oopsies and total lack of defense then I am ok with it.

I agree with everything else.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Perron. Weircoch + Smith (+?) for him.

Perron - Spezza - Hemsky
Mac - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanajed - Condra/Stone
Greening - Grant - Neil

Move prospects for Michael Stone (PHX),

Karlsson - Stone
Ceci - Methot
Phillips - Cowen - Gryba

Othello*

We could have a very deadly line up with some simple additions.

Stewart for Dacosta Greening and prince
Sign Setoguchi

Stewart Spezza Hemsky
MacArther Turris Ryan
Stone Zibanajad Setoguchi
Grant Smith Condra
Neil

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think having Michalek back with Hemsky would be worthwhile. He is skating better and with Ottawa being out in April, he should be ready to go in September. The line looks alive with Hemsky on it. My plan would be to sign Hemsky first. If you can sign Hemsky , you sign Michalek. If you can't sign Hemsky, I say turn the page with Michalek as well. kinda like a package deal.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
The only UFA I would want is Vanek. (I'm assuming we re-sign Hemsky, and let MM go).

No Vanek, than go with Hoffman.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Hoffman is he guy we should give a chance. We have Puempel and Prince also so we need to try our prospects instead of letting them play in the AHL

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Hoffman is he guy we should give a chance. We have Puempel and Prince also so we need to try our prospects instead of letting them play in the AHL

Hoffman has shown he belongs, now I would like to see Stone, Schneider and Prince get the opportunity to play some games before year end.

Would like really like to see to see Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone and wouldn't mind seeing Schneider and Prince play a few games with Spezza and Hemsky before year end.

Problem is it might hurt BNG's chances at a playoff spot.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think having Michalek back with Hemsky would be worthwhile. He is skating better and with Ottawa being out in April, he should be ready to go in September. The line looks alive with Hemsky on it. My plan would be to sign Hemsky first. If you can sign Hemsky , you sign Michalek. If you can't sign Hemsky, I say turn the page with Michalek as well. kinda like a package deal.

I agree, if he signs for around $3.5M.

If he wants more then I would look elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad