If we keep Pavelec, will you lose all hope for Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Here:

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=G

Pick any goalie off that list (we can exclude Brodeur, Giggy is probably done as well). Tell me what you think the Jets would sign them for in dollars and term. Now - factoring in EVERYTHING, so age, salary, performance - tell me how that would be a step back from Ondrej Pavelec.

Go.

We should pick up that Al Montoya guy from the list - he looks pretty good. :sarcasm:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
As it stands now yes, Dubynk has a cap hit of 900k. When he was traded to the Preds he had a cap hit of 3.5 and the oil retained salary. So Pavelic has a 3.9 cap hit. Obviously you'd have to retain some cap. But if someone will take Dubynk after his abysmal season at 1.75+ then someone will take Pav and 2 mill. 2 mill for a backup capable of stealing games isn't great. But with the cap going up it won't be that bad.

I don't find Halak to be all that good TBH. Inconsistent, injury prone and just hasn't been able to win THAT game since the MTL run a few years back. At least with Neuvirth he has the age/potential to break out of this funk

Halak has played 2 playoff games since the run with Montreal. TWO! And he gave up a whopping 3 goals in those 2 games. Don't know how anyone can make the judgement that he has some playoff-phobia, considering the only time he was a number 1 in the playoffs he dragged an average team to the conference finals. For some reason, St.Louis decided he couldn't play in the playoffs. He's a career .918 and right around there this season. That level of goaltending puts the Jets into the playoffs, then we can worry about our goalie choking there.

Halak is probably the best option for the Jets, and even better I guess if everyone around the league is undervaluing him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The logic is to not go into July with two goalies who haven't played a minute of NHL hockey between them. If we're using the broken car analogy, Pavelec is like the car that still runs, just not very well. In that scenario, then I would rather keep that car around since I know it will at least work a little bit, until I get a new one, rather than get rid of it and hope I can find a new one that's worthwhile.

But why do you value experience? Why is having something that you know is THE WORST better then going with an unknown? Pavelec isn't "slightly below average" or "less then ideal" he's quite literally been the worst starting goal tender this season.

Pavelec the car simply DOESN"T run. His save percentage is below replacement level. The two "unknowns" are so unlikely to put up a significantly worse numbers then Pavelec that it's not really worth considering. they are also Cheaper, depending on who you get they can be younger, and are considerably more likely to provide league average goaltending then pavelec,

A better analogy i guess would have been to say you've got the choice between a 3.9 million dollar car with no engine, and a 2 million dollar car in which your not allowed to check under the hood. The worst the 2 million dollar car can be is as useless as the 3.9 million dollar one, but even then, its cheaper.

Seriously a .902 sv% is replaceable by random unaffiliated SHL, KHL, and AHL goaltenders.

why is knowing that guy has failed deemed more valuable then an unkown? That makes no sense!

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
It's a big risk. If we can't address the problem prior to the draft then I think you almost have to hold on to him.

No. It is not a risk getting rid of Pavs. There again you are echoing Lawless and his crazy reasoning. Even if we went with Monty and whoever (Pasquale, Hutch, any half decent FA we can pick up) it would be a BIG improvement over Pavs & ....

You want to talk about risk, its a HUGE risk to keep Pavs beyond this summer because that means that they missed their one opportunity for a buyout & have staked themselves to 3 more years of the same. If they do that, they are gambling that someone can come in & play a lot more games (but you still have Pavs as a terrible backup making 5 mil a year) or gambled that somehow he will become a serviceable goalie in the next three years. Now that's a huge risk.......

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
But why do you value experience? Why is having something that you know is THE WORST better then going with an unknown? Pavelec isn't "slightly below average" or "less then ideal" he's quite literally been the worst starting goal tender this season.

Pavelec the car simply DOESN"T run. His save percentage is below replacement level. The two "unknowns" are so unlikely to put up a significantly worse numbers then Pavelec while having a decent chance of putting up better ones, that it's not really worth considering.

A better analogy i guess would have been to say you've got the choice between a 3.9 million dollar car with no engine, and a 2 million dollar car in which your not allowed to check under the hood. The worst the 2 million dollar car can be is as useless as the 3.9 million dollar one, but even then, its cheaper.

Seriously a .902 sv% is replaceable by random unaffiliated SHL, KHL, and AHL goaltenders.

why is knowing that guy has failed deemed more valuable then an unkown? That makes no sense!

Can we get a guy who's worse than the worst goalie in the league? If anyone can, it's Chevy! Here he is talking about how he offered worse-than-Pavelec goalie Chris Mason more money and term than Nashville's 1-year, $1.25 million deal!
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/glass-couldnt-pass-up-pens-161045675.html

Imagine how this team would've looked with a Pavelec-Mason tandem over the last two years...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Can we get a guy who's worse than the worst goalie in the league? If anyone can, it's Chevy! Here he is talking about how he offered worse-than-Pavelec goalie Chris Mason more money and term than Nashville's 1-year, $1.25 million deal!
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/glass-couldnt-pass-up-pens-161045675.html

Imagine how this team would've looked with a Pavelec-Mason tandem over the last two years...

The point on Mason is a good one. Him choosing Nashville left a "gaping hole" in our roster according to the Free Press, yet he was replaced by a better, cheaper goalie 5 days into the free agent frenzy.

Why can't the same thing happen with Pavelec? It would be almost impossible to sign someone worse.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The point on Mason is a good one. Him choosing Nashville left a "gaping hole" in our roster according to the Free Press, yet he was replaced by a better, cheaper goalie 5 days into the free agent frenzy.

Why can't the same thing happen with Pavelec? It would be almost impossible to sign someone worse.

Yes, despite Chevy's instinct to lock up an even worse goalie for even more money, he managed to sign a better goalie for less money! This franchise is in the best of hands... :handclap: :sarcasm:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No. It is not a risk getting rid of Pavs. There again you are echoing Lawless and his crazy reasoning. Even if we went with Monty and whoever (Pasquale, Hutch, any half decent FA we can pick up) it would be a BIG improvement over Pavs & ....

You want to talk about risk, its a HUGE risk to keep Pavs beyond this summer because that means that they missed their one opportunity for a buyout & have staked themselves to 3 more years of the same. If they do that, they are gambling that someone can come in & play a lot more games (but you still have Pavs as a terrible backup making 5 mil a year) or gambled that somehow he will become a serviceable goalie in the next three years. Now that's a huge risk.......

It's a risk to go with goalies who haven't played a game in the NHL over a goalie who has. The level of risk is up for debate. We've also got another UFA goalie in Montoya, and while he's playing very well this year, historically he's been at Pavelec levels stats wise. It's a risk to drop Pavs because that leaves us with no NHL goalies. Experience helps, and I don't want to have a goalie who has never played an NHL game go into next season as the starter if we're somehow unable to sign or trade for a goalie.

I didn't realize the buyout window ended before the draft so that changes my opinion somewhat, though. You can't afford to wait around to see what happens at the draft, but deals around that time often happen on draft day, which makes it complicated a bit. I still think it is a risk to buy him out, but it might be one that Chevy has to take.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It's a risk to go with goalies who haven't played a game in the NHL over a goalie who has. The level of risk is up for debate. We've also got another UFA goalie in Montoya, and while he's playing very well this year, historically he's been at Pavelec levels stats wise. It's a risk to drop Pavs because that leaves us with no NHL goalies. Experience helps, and I don't want to have a goalie who has never played an NHL game go into next season as the starter if we're somehow unable to sign or trade for a goalie.

I didn't realize the buyout window ended before the draft so that changes my opinion somewhat, though. You can't afford to wait around to see what happens at the draft, but deals around that time often happen on draft day, which makes it complicated a bit. I still think it is a risk to buy him out, but it might be one that Chevy has to take.

Your driving me batty man. That's just it, not when Pavelec is the option.

Pavelec's floor is the same as an unknown goaltender. Given trends in goalies regressing after the age of 25, and that Pavelec has regressed the last three years in a row, it's more likely Pavelec performs worse then he has currently then a complete unknown does.

It is so small a risk that the numerous benefits drastically outweigh it. I don't think you comprehend how bad Pavelec has been. Below Replacement level ie: worse then what can be assumed that any goalie that will sign for a league minimum contract will provide.

I've stated it numerous times, completely inexperienced goaltenders are more likely to perform better then him, then worse. IE: there's more risk in keeping pavelec. Experience in a job isn't worth **** if all it's done is confirmed that you aren't capable of doing the job.

Again if all you want is experience (regardless of their results with that experience) there are plenty of washed up useless goalies who'll cost less then 3.9 million. Hell, if your that concerned, buyout Pavelec and resign him to what he's worth, 600-900k a year. Your still coming out on top!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Again if all you want is experience (regardless of their results with that experience) there are plenty of washed up useless goalies who'll cost less then 3.9 million. Hell, if your that concerned, buyout Pavelec and resign him to what he's worth, 600-900k a year. Your still coming out on top!

I don't think you can immediately re-sign a player you just bought out. Definitely not with a Compliance Buyout, anyway (cap circumvention).

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would have loved to see Halak come here.

I hope we can sign a good goalie over the summer which is a suitable upgrade.

If it means Ondrej gets traded or that he is back up than so be it.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The logic is to not go into July with two goalies who haven't played a minute of NHL hockey between them. If we're using the broken car analogy, Pavelec is like the car that still runs, just not very well. In that scenario, then I would rather keep that car around since I know it will at least work a little bit, until I get a new one, rather than get rid of it and hope I can find a new one that's worthwhile.
There is no nice way to say it... Pavelec absolutely sucks. Many AHL goalies are probably superior to him. Speaking of AHL goalies...

Ondrej Pavelec http://capgeek.com/player/365
Season | Games | SV%
2007/08|52|.911
2008/09|40|.914
2010/11|01|.864

Michael Hutchinson http://capgeek.com/player/1657
Season | Games | SV%
2010/11|28|.904
2011/12|29|.927
2012/13|29|.914
2013/14|22|.923

Edward Pasquale http://capgeek.com/player/1739
Season | Games | SV%
2010/11|24|.900
2011/12|38|.911
2012/13|43|.907
2013/14|31|.920

In a head-to-head apples-to-apples comparison, between Pavelec/Hutchinson/Pasquale as AHL goalies, I like Hutchinson and Pasquale's numbers better. If Chevy is smart, he'll...
  • compliance buy out Pavelec
  • apply the $1.4 million per season savings to re-signing Montoya for 3 years at $2,000,000 $2,001,000 per season
  • have Hutchinson+Pasquale battle for backup, and possibly for #1A/1B with Montoya.

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
There is no nice way to say it... Pavelec absolutely sucks. Many AHL goalies are probably superior to him. Speaking of AHL goalies...

Ondrej Pavelec http://capgeek.com/player/365
Season | Games | SV%
2007/08|52|.911
2008/09|40|.914
2010/11|01|.864

Michael Hutchinson http://capgeek.com/player/1657
Season | Games | SV%
2010/11|28|.904
2011/12|29|.927
2012/13|29|.914
2013/14|22|.923

Edward Pasquale http://capgeek.com/player/1739
Season | Games | SV%
2010/11|24|.900
2011/12|38|.911
2012/13|43|.907
2013/14|31|.920

In a head-to-head apples-to-apples comparison, between Pavelec/Hutchinson/Pasquale as AHL goalies, I like Hutchinson and Pasquale's numbers better. If Chevy is smart, he'll...
  • compliance buy out Pavelec
  • apply the $1.4 million per season savings to re-signing Montoya for 3 years at $2,000,000 $2,001,000 per season
  • have Hutchinson+Pasquale battle for backup, and possibly for #1A/1B with Montoya.

i'd hope monty doesn't cost that much but who knows. Otherwise, i'm pretty ok with that plan.

bobbyboucher

Dec 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Id be very surprised if Pavelec was traded. Im all for shipping him out of town but considering his contract, poor play, and Chevy's history of inability or reluctancy of making significant trades i think its almost a certainty Pavelec will be back next year. Our only hope is if someone is brought in to push him. If its status quo next season ill lose my s**t. God, Comrie and Hellebuyck cant get here soon enough.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Whether or not Chevy uses the compliance buyout on Pavelec will indicate whether he's willing to sacrifice face to save the team, or sacrifice the team to save face. But now I'll look at the rest of his actions.

Overall, Chevy has done an admirable job of restocking the cupboard. When we inherited the Thrashers, their defense was a joke once you got past Enstrom and Bogosian. Sure, Byfuglien put up points... unfortunately he let more points in than he scored... oops. We had guys like Curt Flood, Randy Jones, and Derek Meech playing defense the first couple of seasons... nuff said. People may have laughed at grabbing Clitsome and Ellerby off the waiver wire, and signing Pardy as a UFA... BUT THEY WERE MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS OVER WHAT WE HAD BEFORE.:help: On the draft front, we picked up Trouba, who's already paying off, and Morrissey and Kichton.

Centre was another weak spot. We had to make do with Wellwood and Jokinen for 3 years. Rather than rushing Scheifele and O'Dell a-la-Burmistrov, they were allowed to develop and contributed at the NHL level when they finally made the team.

As for not making a roster-player-for-roster-player trade, we had a lot of 13th forwards and 7th defensemen who were equivalant to everybody else's AHL guys. Whom would you have traded away from our core?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Whether or not Chevy uses the compliance buyout on Pavelec will indicate whether he's willing to sacrifice face to save the team, or sacrifice the team to save face. But now I'll look at the rest of his actions.

Overall, Chevy has done an admirable job of restocking the cupboard. When we inherited the Thrashers, their defense was a joke once you got past Enstrom and Bogosian. Sure, Byfuglien put up points... unfortunately he let more points in than he scored... oops. We had guys like Curt Flood, Randy Jones, and Derek Meech playing defense the first couple of seasons... nuff said. People may have laughed at grabbing Clitsome and Ellerby off the waiver wire, and signing Pardy as a UFA... BUT THEY WERE MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS OVER WHAT WE HAD BEFORE.:help: On the draft front, we picked up Trouba, who's already paying off, and Morrissey and Kichton.

Centre was another weak spot. We had to make do with Wellwood and Jokinen for 3 years. Rather than rushing Scheifele and O'Dell a-la-Burmistrov, they were allowed to develop and contributed at the NHL level when they finally made the team.

As for not making a roster-player-for-roster-player trade, we had a lot of 13th forwards and 7th defensemen who were equivalant to everybody else's AHL guys. Whom would you have traded away from our core?

What? The Jets' 6 best D when the team got here were Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Oduya, Hainsey and Stuart. You think that's worse than Enstrom, Bogosian, Trouba, Stuart, Pardy, Ellerby?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What? The Jets' 6 best D when the team got here were Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Oduya, Hainsey and Stuart. You think that's worse than Enstrom, Bogosian, Trouba, Stuart, Pardy, Ellerby?

I'd kill for that d-depth...

Also, Enstrom and Byfuglien are likely down trending so the Enstrom + Buff then was likely better than Enstrom and Buff now (same with Stu).

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd kill for that d-depth...

Also, Enstrom and Byfuglien are likely down trending so the Enstrom + Buff then was likely better than Enstrom and Buff now (same with Stu).

Well that depth fell off pretty fast after the top 6 D. One injury and the Jets were deep into Jones/Flood/Meech territory.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Your driving me batty man. That's just it, not when Pavelec is the option.

Pavelec's floor is the same as an unknown goaltender. Given trends in goalies regressing after the age of 25, and that Pavelec has regressed the last three years in a row, it's more likely Pavelec performs worse then he has currently then a complete unknown does.

It is so small a risk that the numerous benefits drastically outweigh it. I don't think you comprehend how bad Pavelec has been. Below Replacement level ie: worse then what can be assumed that any goalie that will sign for a league minimum contract will provide.

I've stated it numerous times, completely inexperienced goaltenders are more likely to perform better then him, then worse. IE: there's more risk in keeping pavelec. Experience in a job isn't worth **** if all it's done is confirmed that you aren't capable of doing the job.

It's like you didn't even read the second part of my post. I'm all for friendly debate on this board but if people aren't going to read the whole thing then I just can't be bothered to continue on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad