If we had to lose one of these players who would it be Penner, Nolan, or King?

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'd like the idea of either Torres or MacArthur to fill in a LW spot, at least for depth's sake, but I dunno if we can really afford to sign anyone else with the whole cap going down. I hope some of our young prospects can fill open spots instead. They should be hungry and inexpensive. Toffoli looks like he's already on his way to earning a spot with his good play lately....

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This team can afford to keep a Claude Lemieux type around for playoffs only, as long as the salary falls in line. My care levels for the regular season are officially at zero, for the foreseeable future this team needs to be built for the playoffs, nothing more. Great teams have guys that are mediocre through the regular season then bring it when it counts.
Is that so ?

I think this is wishfull thinking. It would be great, I agree with you but I dont see it. For one season (Kings' last year), two seasons perhaps (this season hopefully ?), that's possible. How many NHL teams did well in the playoffs for several (consecutive) seasons, but finished around spot 6-8 (leaguewise) during those regular seasons ?

Off the top of my head all Stanley Cup winners in the past four decades were elite during the regular season with exception of our beloving team (perhaps one/two more, I have to check it). That's one thing already. To compete at a high level in the playoffs for some straight years while being 'medicocre' during the season is even more rare.

Do I think this team is more built for the PO, yes. If the Kings reach the Conference Finals again, than we should really be proud. I'm already glad we made it to the 2nd round. All past 4 winners lost in the 1st round.

No NHL team in the modern era reached back to back Conference Finals and finished 13th and 7th (or something close to that) respectivily during the season.

My point, we cant count on being mediocre and take it to another level in the playoffs.

Last edited:

dogyekcoh*

For me, I will say King. Pannier is clutch during the playoff and playoff games are when it count.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Sorry Penner, we need you to produce in the regular season as well. Hasta luego Pancakes. I'd trade King in a package for an upgrade either on defense or for a winger. Otherwise just keep him as he's fine on the 4th line and cheap. Wouldn't even think about moving Nolan unless Double A is better and more in the Kings long term plans but ultimately I want to see a line of Clifford-Double A-Nolan.

Tijuana Trotz

Aug 17, 2010
I don't get it, am I the only thinking that People bash on Penner for his off season play yet his role has completely changed ever since he was traded to the kings. Everyone wants the guy to score 30+ goals a season. Sure, DL brought him here to help our offense but his skill set doesnt fit into our system. Therefore sutter is utilizing him more effectively along the boards and the checking line. I honestly think he has improved drastically over the years. This post season he had the best season with the kings. Sure his stats doesn't prove my point but sometimes it's not about the stats.

None the less, Penner would be more expandable mainly because he makes more and will be more effective on other teams based on his experience and big body frame. The only way I see him staying is if we win another cup and he's willing to take another home discount.

You slipped this one past the "no fat jokes" censors. Well done sir!

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Is that so ?

I think this is wishfull thinking. It would be great, I agree with you but I dont see it. For one season (Kings' last year), two seasons perhaps (this season hopefully ?), that's possible. How many NHL teams did well in the playoffs for several (consecutive) seasons, but finished around spot 6-8 (leaguewise) during those regular seasons ?

Off the top of my head all Stanley Cup winners in the past four decades were elite during the regular season with exception of our beloving team (perhaps one/two more, I have to check it). That's one thing already. To compete at a high level in the playoffs for some straight years while being 'medicocre' during the season is even more rare.

Do I think this team is more built for the PO, yes. If the Kings reach the Conference Finals again, than we should really be proud. I'm already glad we made it to the 2nd round. All past 4 winners lost in the 1st round.

No NHL team in the modern era reached back to back Conference Finals and finished 13th and 7th (or something close to that) respectivily during the season.

My point, we cant count on being mediocre and take it to another level in the playoffs.

If the Kings were mediocre, I would totally agree. But since they picked up Carter, they have been anything but. The Kings were the top team after the deadline last year, and had this season been 82 games, they would have been a top team again. Their hangover start was obviously amplified in the standings by the shortened season. In a full season, it is very likely they end up as the #2 seed in the west.

And you don't have to be an elite regular season team during the regular season to win the cup. Since 2009, the league ranking of winners has been 8th, 3rd, 7th, and 12th. Pre-cap, I would agree with you that killing it in the regular season indicated post-season success. But after a couple years post-lockout with the cap settling in, I think building teams specifically for the playoffs is the way to go.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
If the Kings were mediocre, I would totally agree. But since they picked up Carter, they have been anything but. The Kings were the top team after the deadline last year, and had this season been 82 games, they would have been a top team again. Their hangover start was obviously amplified in the standings by the shortened season. In a full season, it is very likely they end up as the #2 seed in the west.

And you don't have to be an elite regular season team during the regular season to win the cup. Since 2009, the league ranking of winners has been 8th, 3rd, 7th, and 12th. Pre-cap, I would agree with you that killing it in the regular season indicated post-season success. But after a couple years post-lockout with the cap settling in, I think building teams specifically for the playoffs is the way to go.
Well mediocre was a bit harsh, I mean not elite. Kings still finished 13th overall last year and 7th this year. Of course any above average/good team can win the Cup, I never denied that because the proof is simply there.

I just would like to see which teams (finishing between 7th and 13th place) had any kind of playoff succes for consecutive years.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Well mediocre was a bit harsh, I mean not elite. Kings still finished 13th overall last year and 7th this year. Of course any above average/good team can win the Cup, I never denied that because the proof is simply there.

I just would like to see which teams (finishing between 7th and 13th place) had any kind of playoff success for consecutive years.

It's hard to find any teams outside of a handful that have had success for more than 1 or 2 years. Here are a few:

Detroit went Championship/SCF/2nd round. They were fantastic in the regular season, finishing 1, 3, and 6.

Pittsburgh went SCF/Championship/2nd round over the same span. T5, 7, and T8.

Boston from 09-11 went 2nd/2nd/Championship, finishing 2, 14th, and T8.

Philadelphia from 08-12 went 3rd/1st/SCF/2nd/2nd, finishing T10, 8th, 18th, 4th, 4th.

San Jose had a great run since the lockout, going 2nd/2nd/2nd/1st/3rd/3rd/1st. Over that span, they've finished 10th, 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, and 12th.

------

What's interesting, is that only Detroit won the cup when they had their best regular season finish.

Pittsburgh never finished higher than 5th.

Boston was all over the place, winning the cup when they finished 8th overall.

Over their pretty good run Philly's average overall position was 9th, and their two best playoff years they finished 10th and 18th.

San Jose has been a regular season beast since the lockout, but have never gotten to the final.

Detroit and San Jose are the only two teams that have had consistent success in the playoffs and regular season since the lockout, HM to Pittsburgh.

What I find most fascinating is that recent cup winners tend to be outside the top 5 teams in the league, all but one finished 7th and beyond. 2006-2009 still had top 5 teams winning, but remember there was a salary rollback and those teams could still hang on to their high-priced squads for a couple years until they had to start bringing in new players.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Penner, based on salary alone. hes not worth anywhere near what hes making no matter how much i like him off the ice. King is a big kid and plays exactly the style of hockey that works for LA. the same can be said for Nolan + he can fight. easy choice

No he doesn't.

The guy doesn't hit, doesn't score, isn't good at defense ect. ect.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
No he doesn't.

The guy doesn't hit, doesn't score, isn't good at defense ect. ect.

You said the same thing about Mike Richards and Clifford If I remember correctly.

I could be wrong though.

Sutter has only scratched King for like one game all year. So Sutter likes something he does.

I would give these kids another year. Were we happy with anyone's sophomore year besides Kopitar/Drew/Brown ?

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well it doesn't really matter what we think.

Lombardi is not going to move the kid, he makes like the league minimum.

The cap is going down, and you can always stick him as the 13th forward.

You can't trade him for anything but a low round pick. Soooo its safe to assume King is a King next year.

Richardson is a guy that will be let go, He makes way too much for a bench player.

Penner must take another pay cut if he wants to remain a King.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
I think King contributes the least, but Penner has by far the biggest disparity between pay and production. I know he is great in the playoffs, but he just doesn't produce enough during the regular season to be #2LW. He'd be the greatest #3 LW ever, but he makes too much money.

In an ideal world we could drop King and pay Penner 1 or 1.5M and play him on the 3rd line. I love the guy, but we need a Top 6 LW that contributes more points.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Nolan. Easy call. The guy is not a very good hockey player, at this point. He can hit a little. He can skate a little. He can score a little but he is extremely weak on the puck and on the boards. Those two qualities are absolutely requirements in Sutter's system.

Nolan would be a good pick up for a soft team like Edmonton but in LA he just doesn't project to be anything other than a rotating healthy scratch.

I agree.

But if he could be the new Richardson, but at league minimum, that could be alright.

Out of all three, he has the least upside. For him to not play as hard as he can, then he's not really even a NHLer. A guy like that needs to play every day like it's maybe his last chance in the NHL because it is. He's no Clifford or Lewis.

Luc Gretzky

Jun 24, 2012
Unless Penner wants to play for 1.75 or less, he has to go. Yes we love how he earns his keep in the playoffs, but he cannot be paid top 6 $$$ to be invisible durring the regular season.

A lot of people hate on King, but the dude hustles every shift and is a good 1st-man-on-the-forcheck, board battling winger. King and Nolan still may be able to elevate their game over the next few years, and are dirt cheap--very important when we've got $30,622727 tied up for only 5 players (Kopi, Richards, Carter, Doughty, Quick). Wanna re-sign Brown and Voynov long term (+ everyone else), or possibly lose one because Penner's a good dude?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad