If we had to lose one of these players who would it be Penner, Nolan, or King?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
The thing with Penner that's a wildcard is his ability to put the puck in the net. We have only seen it in spurts, but of the three choices, Penner is most likely to be productive if put in a role to score. However, I would say the only reason to bring Penner back would be if they can't find a better option to replace him.

Nolan I like having on the fourth line. He could play better than he has, but he's still young and has plenty of room for growth. King I'm indifferent about. I think he's been better at using his body and being aggressive on the forecheck, but to me, his ceiling is that of a 3rd line LW who can chip in with the occasional goal. He needs to be more assertive physically and use his body more, just as he did on the Kings' game winning goal in Game 4.

the problem i have with King at the #3LW is then it slots the Colonel down to the #4. i would rather see Cliffy in the #3 due to his effort, physicality and frankly i think he has earned that spot.

I would put Andy Andy at 4rth line C given the choice or possibly slip Lewis back to 4rth C and put AA on RW.

if you say Andreoff over Shore i trust your judgment, you know the kids better than i do. im not convinced with lewis at the spot though. we saw that and imo it didn't work, if it had then Fraser wouldn't have taken that role. i also think Lewis' game improved since he moved onto the wing. he seems more comfortable and reactive along the boards, while not having to take on C responsibilities.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Penner, You can't pay third liners 3m dollars Next year.

Stoll already makes too much. King and Nolan are league minimum guys. You can simply make them fourth liners or the 13 forward on the roster and it doesn't hurt you.

Penner would have to take a hefty pay cut.

I am talking like a 2m pay cut.

The Kings need another top six LW, Penner is not that guy, and getting rid of King or Nolan does not free up any cap space. It just removes guys with NHL experience, That are young and making the league minimum.

Also keep in mind that Sutter has not scratched King at all this season...Maybe one game ?

So Sutter likes something that King is doing. It is also unlikely that Richardson returns, he is rather expensive for a bench player.

Richardson deserves a chance to play somewhere else, he has earned that by being a good team mate here.

Last edited:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
the problem i have with King at the #3LW is then it slots the Colonel down to the #4. i would rather see Cliffy in the #3 due to his effort, physicality and frankly i think he has earned that spot.

if you say Andreoff over Shore i trust your judgment, you know the kids better than i do. im not convinced with lewis at the spot though. we saw that and imo it didn't work, if it had then Fraser wouldn't have taken that role. i also think Lewis' game improved since he moved onto the wing. he seems more comfortable and reactive along the boards, while not having to take on C responsibilities.[/QUOTE]

I would only say AA over Shore for the following season while he gets a pro year under his belt (NS). Ideally once everyone has made their way to the big club I would have NS centering our fourth line with Andy on the LW (he can do it) and Nolan on RW. That would be a really fun line to watch. Speed grit and lots of skill up the middle.

Shore needs his season in MCH to get up to pro speed. He looks good but he still needs a little time. After that he will hands down be one of our better players and since we are locked in for our top two center spots we are going to have an amazing bottom 6 up the middle.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
As much as Penner plays well for us in the playoffs, I wouldn't want him back unless he takes a huge pay cut. King frustrates me to no end and I'd rather see one of our prospects take over his spot....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
King, easily.

I've been saying for a long time that he simply does not have an NHL skill set.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
King, easily.

I've been saying for a long time that he simply does not have an NHL skill set.

He doesn't make anything, you simply get a roster spot that's it.

You really want to keep Penner and his 3m salary ? That means the Kings can't upgrade the top six.

You can make Nolan and King spare forwards if need be. You can't do that with Penner and his huge salary.

Penner would have to take an unrealistic salary cut. Somewhere in the range of 2 Mill.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
If King just hit more, he'd would be worth it. With his size, he should be throwing his weight around more, which would make him much more valuable in a 7 game series

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Easy ...

- dump PENNER after the season, and hope we find an Upgrade ?
but retain #dustinpenner for *****&giggles.

- get rid of DEREK KING and Hope that DWIGHT KING guy finds his way back onto the 4th line where he belongs!

- no need to do anything with NOLAN, he's fine as a 4th liner who can scrap if need be and pot the occasional goal here and there.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I wonder how many would have voted for Penner if he HADN'T scored the winning goal...:sarcasm:

In any case, for those who seem to think Penner will be considered for next year's top 6, just ask yourselves, is he playing on the top 6 now??? Chances are, Toffoli will be our 2LW and Penner perhaps, 3LW. I still like King, but in this poll, I would have to vote King off.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wonder how many would have voted for Penner if he HADN'T scored the winning goal...:sarcasm:

In any case, for those who seem to think Penner will be considered for next year's top 6, just ask yourselves, is he playing on the top 6 now??? Chances are, Toffoli will be our 2LW and Penner perhaps, 3LW. I still like King, but in this poll, I would have to vote King off.

I'm thinking that the Kings may look at Tanner Pearson as the #2 LW and maybe ease Toffoli in to a top six scoring role at his natural position, which is RW.

Just thinking out loud, but what if they spread their talent around and went three deep with offense?

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Richards-Vey
Nolan-Stoll-Lewis

That likely won't be the top six next season, but in a couple of years, it may be a possibility.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm thinking that the Kings may look at Tanner Pearson as the #2 LW and maybe ease Toffoli in to a top six scoring role at his natural position, which is RW.

Just thinking out loud, but what if they spread their talent around and went three deep with offense?

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Richards-Vey
Nolan-Stoll-Lewis

That likely won't be the top six next season, but in a couple of years, it may be a possibility.

I could see:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Toffoli-Richards-Carter
Pearson-Vey-Lewis
Clifford-Andreoff-Nolan

or

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
UFA/TRADE-Richards-Carter
Pearson-Vey-Toffoli
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Eases Toffoli in and takes advantage of his ELC, have a third scoring line. Though it is hard to imagine having all those youngsters out there without stabilizing veterans, but three years from now maybe.

All-in-all, just wishful thinking really :P I can see many scenarios where some of these prospects wind up going the way of Loktionov.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He doesn't make anything, you simply get a roster spot that's it.

You really want to keep Penner and his 3m salary ? That means the Kings can't upgrade the top six.

You can make Nolan and King spare forwards if need be. You can't do that with Penner and his huge salary.

Penner would have to take an unrealistic salary cut. Somewhere in the range of 2 Mill.

Who are you going to get that's an upgrade over Penner?

These are the top LW free agents:
Morrow, Brenden
Clowe, Ryane
Gagne, Simon
MacArthur, Clarke
Penner, Dustin
Filppula, Valtteri
Cleary, Danny
Sullivan, Steve
Prospal, Vinny
Raymond, Mason
Latendresse, Guillaume
Ponikarovsky, Alexei

Penner fits our style and plays well when it matters. Also, I don't think he was treated fairly during the regular season which hurt his production. Penner's 3M won't prevent us from calling up cheap players like Toffoli/Vey/Pearson ect.

Dwight King is not an NHL player.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Richards-Vey
Nolan-Stoll-Lewis

I agree and think that the notion of bringing Pearson up at LW would make allot of sense. TT is likely to be brought in exactly as you describe too. I don't see us moving Carter to Center but he has played there before (allot) so who knows?

I like the lines of

Brown-Kopitar-Williams (with TT getting a shift here and there as earned)
Pearson-Richards-Carter(with TT etc)

As for our bottom 6 I am still struggling with what I would like to see. Your lines look good to me though. I want to see Andreoff get his time with the team next season too. Allot of talent but not allot of spaces. Nice problem to have.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Who are you going to get that's an upgrade over Penner?

These are the top LW free agents:
Morrow, Brenden
Clowe, Ryane
Gagne, Simon
MacArthur, Clarke
Penner, Dustin
Filppula, Valtteri
Cleary, Danny
Sullivan, Steve
Prospal, Vinny
Raymond, Mason
Latendresse, Guillaume
Ponikarovsky, Alexei

Penner fits our style and plays well when it matters. Also, I don't think he was treated fairly during the regular season which hurt his production. Penner's 3M won't prevent us from calling up cheap players like Toffoli/Vey/Pearson ect.

Dwight King is not an NHL player.

Two I would be very interested in.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
I don't know that I see either J.Williams or J.Stoll still being here beyond their current contracts ? IMO, Toffoli is J.Dubs replacement and I think Vey is Stolls replacement ?
MAYBE the Kings offer them another short term (1-2 yr Deal) but at their age DO THEY Accept that ?
Also unless D.King can regain some scoring ability I see one of the Kids overtaking him too ?

In a couple-few years (2015+) I suspect we may look something more like this ...

Brown - Kopitar - Toffoli
Pearson - Richards - Carter
Clifford - Vey - Lewis
Andreoff/Prokhorkin - Shore - Nolan

Doughty - Muzzin
Voynov - Ellerby
Greene - Forbort

Quick - Jones

Actually when looking at it the D might be a bigger issue down the line, I'm sure we can get by another 2 years with some combination of (Mitchell, Scuderi, Regehr) but come 2015 Mitchell = 37/38, Scuderi = 36/37 and Regehr = 35/36 ... heck even Greener will be 31/32 ... and the way these guys play and get beat down, I doubt they make it past 2015+ ? so we NEED to look at the Kids like Muzzin, Ellerby, Forbert, DesLauriers, Roach and Gravel, and start eyeing on WHICH if ANY are replacements for Mitchell, Scuderi, Regehr and Greene down the line.

Two I would be very interested in.

Didn't Ryane CLOWnE want like $4 million per Year ? and he scored all of ZERO goals for the Sharks this Year ? = PASS
I'd be interested in Dan Cleary maybe, but I doubt he leaves the Wings ? (Nevermind ... wow, I didn't realize he's ALREADY 34 years old ? dang :huh: )

Last edited:

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Richards-Vey
Nolan-Stoll-Lewis

I could see:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Toffoli-Richards-Carter
Pearson-Vey-Lewis
Clifford-Andreoff-Nolan

or

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Vey-Toffoli
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Don't you guys think that another year of "A" would be beneficial for Tanner? I would like to see Toffoli and Vey get a good look, but I think a little more seasoning would be needed for Pearson.

Having said that, I do like the all rookie line of Pearson-Vey-Toffoli. Yeah, they would be fun to watch and would definitely add some scoring, but we are losing a lot of size. Definitely a different team. Don't know if it's better.

As for Richards being moved to 3C, I was initially against it when herby had mentioned it, but I have to admit, I'm slowly warming up to it.

Brown-Kopi-Williams
Torres/Morrow-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Richards-Vey
King-Lewis-Nolan

Torres is often overlooked because of his reputation as a dirty player, but he's actually, a good hockey player, who can score, hit and fight.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Didn't Ryane CLOWnE want like $4 million per Year ? and he scored all of ZERO goals for the Sharks this Year ? = PASS
I'd be interested in Dan Cleary maybe, but I doubt he leaves the Wings ? (Nevermind ... wow, I didn't realize he's ALREADY 34 years old ? dang :huh: )

If the price is right, as always.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Don't you guys think that another year of "A" would be beneficial for Tanner? I would like to see Toffoli and Vey get a good look, but I think a little more seasoning would be needed for Pearson.

YES, no one is saying these lines for NEXT year ... couple+ years down the line (2015) and beyond ;)

I thought it was 6M per year.

:eek: even WORSE ! = DOUBLE PASS :amazed:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Actually when looking at it the D might be a bigger issue down the line, I'm sure we can get by another 2 years with some combination of (Mitchell, Scuderi, Regehr) but come 2015 Mitchell = 37/38, Scuderi = 36/37 and Regehr = 35/36 ... heck even Greener will be 31/32 ... and the way these guys play and get beat down, I doubt they make it past 2015+ ? so we NEED to look at the Kids like Muzzin, Ellerby, Forbert, DesLauriers, Roach and Gravel, and start eyeing on WHICH if ANY are replacements for Mitchell, Scuderi, Regehr and Greene down the line.

Although I will never ever complain about the Carter trade obviously, it's really too bad the Kings don't have their first rounder this year. LD Mirco Mueller, LD Keaton Thompson and LD Ian McCoshen are all likely available in the later part of the first round that would be great value picks for the Kings, smart safe positional defensemen that could be great complements to the offense and skating of Doughty and Voynov on the right side.

Kevin Gravel is going to be the guy to keep your eye on in our pool. Projects to be a very nice complementary piece to Voynov or Doughty on the LD spot, but still 1-3 years away.

KingKopitar11*

I could see:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Toffoli-Richards-Carter
Pearson-Vey-Lewis
Clifford-Andreoff-Nolan

or

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Vey-Toffoli
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Eases Toffoli in and takes advantage of his ELC, have a third scoring line. Though it is hard to imagine having all those youngsters out there without stabilizing veterans, but three years from now maybe.

All-in-all, just wishful thinking really :P I can see many scenarios where some of these prospects wind up going the way of Loktionov.

Plan B is so much more balanced it's crazy. I love it.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Penner, based on salary alone. hes not worth anywhere near what hes making no matter how much i like him off the ice. King is a big kid and plays exactly the style of hockey that works for LA. the same can be said for Nolan + he can fight. easy choice

edit: i think Lombardi & Co gave him the 1 year extension so he could have one more chance to prove his worth. after another miserable regular season, i dont think theres much he can do in the playoffs (aside from taking another pay cut, which is unlikely ) that will keep him here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad