If we had to lose one of these players who would it be Penner, Nolan, or King?

Captain Mittens*

At this point it would be King. Horribly bad sophomore slump

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Watching Penner the past two playoffs I don't want to see him go.
King provides a big body and decent forecheck that is valuable to LA's system.
Nolan brings grit and tenacity.

I just don't know if there is room for all of them next season.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I hate to say it but I think it comes down to Penner makes more money and would be the one to go. He also isn't a good fit on the 3rd or 4th line during the regular season...
Damn it Pancakes, why do you suck so bad in the regular season?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If Penner takes another paycut, then he should stay. When Penner is bad, he's no worse than King.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Gotta be King. Nolan brings more grit and probably more skill. Penner has to stay because he's been good in big games, like playoff games. Plus he's improving in the regular season too - he went from terrible in 11-12 to bad in 12-13.....:laugh:

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Kings blows, but he will be much cheaper than Penner, so he will probably be kept ahead of Penner

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I picked the exact opposite of what I meant to.

I would pick Penner if we are talking about the off season.

If we hang on to Penner then we won't be upgrading our desperate need for a legit top 6 LW. King doesn't belong there as he is best suited to playing on our bottom 6 (as projected) and Nolan can play anywhere and should be getting more ice time.

I would let Penner walk but, he has earned his spot in Kings history and while I hate his regular season play his playoff game is really good. Let him walk on to a team that is only looking for him to be an factor in the Ozone and get us a true top 6 LW that can play great in every zone all of the time.

If our bottom 6 has Clifford and King as our LW's I like that allot.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Watching Penner the past two playoffs I don't want to see him go.
King provides a big body and decent forecheck that is valuable to LA's system.
Nolan brings grit and tenacity.

I just don't know if there is room for all of them next season.

agree with this ^^^^.

I (still) like what I see in King. Nolan is their best fighter. And Penner is Pancakes.

I'm not voting.

bobafettish*

depends on how much penner ask for. if he asks for anything above 2.2 then he's expendable. money aside the answer is king.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Penner. We don't have caproom and all what Tonellisghost wrote is true, especialle this - "If we hang on to Penner then we won't be upgrading our desperate need for a legit top 6 LW."

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
I don't get it, am I the only thinking that People bash on Penner for his off season play yet his role has completely changed ever since he was traded to the kings. Everyone wants the guy to score 30+ goals a season. Sure, DL brought him here to help our offense but his skill set doesnt fit into our system. Therefore sutter is utilizing him more effectively along the boards and the checking line. I honestly think he has improved drastically over the years. This post season he had the best season with the kings. Sure his stats doesn't prove my point but sometimes it's not about the stats.

None the less, Penner would be more expandable mainly because he makes more and will be more effective on other teams based on his experience and big body frame. The only way I see him staying is if we win another cup and he's willing to take another home discount.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
This team can afford to keep a Claude Lemieux type around for playoffs only, as long as the salary falls in line. My care levels for the regular season are officially at zero, for the foreseeable future this team needs to be built for the playoffs, nothing more. Great teams have guys that are mediocre through the regular season then bring it when it counts.

Back to the point, I would drop King out of the 3. I like Dwight, but he has the lowest ceiling out of the 3. Pretty sure Fras or Richardson will be gone to make room for Toffoli anyways, so these three all could easily be back. Personally, I'd like to see Penner and Toffoli rotated between Richards/Carter and Stoll/Lewis depending on the opposition and matchup. Rotate King/Nolan/Clifford on the fourth with a center, or let Nolan play his natural center position (faceoffs might be an issue).

Contrary to most, I don't think this team needs a legit top 6 LW. It's a luxury. If there is someone out there that fits the bill, fine, but we do well with what we have.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The thing with each of these players is that all of them fit into our system in one way or another. So look at it from an upgradable aspect.

Nolan is solid at what he does, is cheap and versatile enough to where we should keep him. We wouldn't be able to replace what he brings to the team for less from the outside.

King is fine when he plays on the 3rd line with a solid C and another responsible RW. He can be replaced from within but would it be an upgrade? I would argue yes but it is debatable. Hanging on to King for the time being is fine.

Penner seems to up his play in the playoffs and that is great. If we kept Penner and moved King I could live with it but only if everyone knew from the start that Penns was kept as a bottom 6er and paid accordingly.

I don't think anyone expects Penns to pop 30 goals any longer but at what he is being paid we do expect significantly more than he has been giving us. I like the idea of keeping him at a seriously reduced salary(in the $1mper range). But if we do then we have to move one of King or Clifford.

To me, Penner is the easiest to replace because we already have his replacement(s) playing on the team (Clifford,King).

Andreoff is ready and plays with a really nice mean streak so he should be added to our bottom 6 for next season (he or Kozy).

Move Penns and thank him for everything he has added to the team during the post season.

Our LW's for next season.

Brown
Clifford
King.

Tofoli isn't a LW and would be a misuse to try and make him become one.

We as an org desperately need a couple of LW's in our system to make us whole for the next few years.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree with Tonellisghost...

DL allocates dollars for each type of player / position rank and Penner
cannot produce during the regular season. We only made the playoffs
by a point or 2 last year and about 4 or 5 this year.

DL believes in a culture of leaders and hard work and character and Penner
lacks in those areas, not to mention conditioning. As we bring in more
young players like Toffoli and Vey, Andreoff, etc, they should be exposed
to leaders and hard workers with character.

I appreciate Penner in the playoffs, but would let him go. King still has some potential and is not a liability or play poorly as a bottom 6 guy.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
We asked Dean Lombardi this question, his reply ...

DeanEyebrows.gif

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Nolan. Easy call. The guy is not a very good hockey player, at this point. He can hit a little. He can skate a little. He can score a little but he is extremely weak on the puck and on the boards. Those two qualities are absolutely requirements in Sutter's system.

Nolan would be a good pick up for a soft team like Edmonton but in LA he just doesn't project to be anything other than a rotating healthy scratch.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Penner, King, Nolan in that order.

Penner you don't resign and just part ways amicably. There isn't room for him any longer, especially with the negative intangibles. Likely one of the nicest and funniest guys the team has had but the lapses, effort and everything that makes him Pancakes is too much. It is time to save the money and move one of the kids up into that roster spot. By 'that' spot i don't mean the #2LW, merely 'a' roster spot period.

King is RFA and DL would likely be able to move him for a pick or prospect. He won't get much for him but the guy has been invisible. He is out there for two things - to pop the occasional goal/assist and use his large body on the forecheck. His production was a disappointment this year, his physical presence isn't that great. Worst of all i wasn't very please with his effort most the season. To me he seemed to be in cruise control most of the time.

Nolan stays over King, because of effort. King may have a bit better touch, but I will take a guy that gives his best effort all the time over one that seems to coast. Nolan has more top speed than King, takes the body more often, takes the body more physically and isn't afraid to drop the mitts at times. He is also ~$200K less per season than King.

The other decision will be the future of the #4C role. I only bring this up because the above guys are going to slot into and play with that C. There should be some consistency and chemistry there.

Fraser has one more year to go on his current contract. I think DL keeps him around for the year and begins looking at one of the MAN kids to start moving into the #4C role full time the next season. I think people have been saying N Shore will start there and eventually move up and take over Stoll's spot. This would perfectly as far as contracts go. Fraser expires after 2013-14 and Stoll expires after 2014-15.

Keep Lewis on the wing. I like his speed on the wing and imo he isn't big enough to play the middle. To many big #3 and #4 C's in the WC for him to get mismatched against.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The thing with Penner that's a wildcard is his ability to put the puck in the net. We have only seen it in spurts, but of the three choices, Penner is most likely to be productive if put in a role to score. However, I would say the only reason to bring Penner back would be if they can't find a better option to replace him.

Nolan I like having on the fourth line. He could play better than he has, but he's still young and has plenty of room for growth. King I'm indifferent about. I think he's been better at using his body and being aggressive on the forecheck, but to me, his ceiling is that of a 3rd line LW who can chip in with the occasional goal. He needs to be more assertive physically and use his body more, just as he did on the Kings' game winning goal in Game 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad