If We Are In The Playoff Push, What Is Your Philosophy On Lazar In WJC?

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
If he's playing well but pacing at 25pts, then he goes over there, continues his good habits and scores 10 points, he could very well come back with more confidence. There are definitely examples of guys coming back as matured players after the WJC in recent years.

Name 3.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
3 is a lot. The one on my mind was Devante Smith Pelley. He looked better once he came back. Lindholm also went and had a huge tournament, although I'm unsure of if there was any improvement in his play upon return.

Smith-Pelly broke his foot while he was there, ended up missing about 20 games because of it, and only played 1 world junior game so I doubt that experience helped him much.
The other Canadian that was loaned from the NHL that year was Connolly. Everyone just assumed he would kill the tourney. He played alright but it did nothing to help his NHL game, and he ended up playing the last 2 seasons in the AHL so I don't think anyone would say the experience helped him.
Dumba was loaned to the team last year, people had huge expectations from him, didn't live up to them, ended up getting sent back down to junior after, and he's still struggling to adjust to the NHL today, so again, not a help to him.

BigBush*

There is no chance Lazar goes to the WJrs if he makes Ottawa (which he will).

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Smith-Pelly broke his foot while he was there, ended up missing about 20 games because of it, and only played 1 world junior game so I doubt that experience helped him much.
The other Canadian that was loaned from the NHL that year was Connolly. Everyone just assumed he would kill the tourney. He played alright but it did nothing to help his NHL game, and he ended up playing the last 2 seasons in the AHL so I don't think anyone would say the experience helped him.
Dumba was loaned to the team last year, people had huge expectations from him, didn't live up to them, ended up getting sent back down to junior after, and he's still struggling to adjust to the NHL today, so again, not a help to him.

Don't know what I was thinking with DSP. Either way, I stand by it. If he's playing like a good 3rd/4th liner but isnt scoring, I don't hesitate to send him back. If he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener who's the best guy on his line, hell no, keep him with us. But if he is fringe, not dressing every single night, etc., I think it would benefit him. Anyways, its too far away to really determine what is best.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He's already stirring the drink when he's on the ice. By December he could be in more visible grouping if the chemistry works with Hoffman. I like the idea of keeping Neil away from him and giving him players he can work with.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Legwand - Neil/Condra
Hoffman - Lazar - Chiasson
Condra/Neil, Greening

I'd like to see if he can work with something like this - good players to play with. I think there will be a trade to impact the combinations before December though.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
We play Dec22/27/29 and Jan 3/4/6. WJC games go Dec 26 to Jan 5, so he could probably play for us Dec 22, then leave and re-join Jan 6th - that would mean missing 4 games.

It all depends on his role on the team at that point, but unless he's having a Calder caliber season by then its probably not that big a deal if he goes. Could be good for him long term but either way not that big a deal

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

I think this proves the WJC doesn't help or hinder them necessarily, its just a case by case thing.

I feel the same way about the whole sending guys back to CHL situation. This gets blamed sometimes but I believe guys end up where they are supposed to

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We play Dec22/27/29 and Jan 3/4/6. WJC games go Dec 26 to Jan 5, so he could probably play for us Dec 22, then leave and re-join Jan 6th - that would mean missing 4 games.

It all depends on his role on the team at that point, but unless he's having a Calder caliber season by then its probably not that big a deal if he goes. Could be good for him long term but either way not that big a deal

I do believe Hockey Canada has a philosophy that a kid has to be 100% committed to TC, from showing up from the first day of training camp until the end of the tourney to be considered for the team. If we send Lazar to the WJC, we'll lose him for more than 4 games.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Geez people. This could be his only chance to win something. :sarcasm:
I also want to cheer for someone at WJC.

Just realized we have zero WC, Oly or SC winners on our team. Even Buffalo has Enroth and Toronto has Phaneuf. We are a team of losers :cry: :laugh:

Alaskimo

Pesky Pesky...
Jul 28, 2011
I think Lazar has been one of our best forwards thus far, and the Michalek/Smith/Lazar line has been great, but if he wants to, let the kid go. He's got a long career ahead of him. I doubt there's any young Canadians who would want to pass up the chance to play for their country. Let him go lead his country to a gold medal, have fun, show off, and soak up the experience, it's his last opportunity for the world juniors, doubt he's happy with last year's result and would relish the chance to get the gold. If he wants that chance to go to the World Juniors, why stop him?

It's not a question of whether this or that will help his development. When you look at the kid, the way he works, the way he talks. He's going to take everything he can from his experience, wherever it may come from. He is going to be working his tail off to continue to improve, be it at the Juniors or in the NHL. He seems like a proud kid, he seems like he wants to win at every level. If he wants the opportunity to play in the tournament again, if he thinks he can win for Canada while still helping the Senators have a good season, why stop him? You have to trust that he's going to make the most of his opportunities wherever he is.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Geez people. This could be his only chance to win something. :sarcasm:
I also want to cheer for someone at WJC.

Just realized we have zero WC, Oly or SC winners on our team. Even Buffalo has Enroth and Toronto has Phaneuf. We are a team of losers :cry: :laugh:

Wrong. Phillips won gold for Canada at the 1996 and 1997 World Juniors.

Edit - noticed you wrote WC not WJC, but regardless. He still won gold twice.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Fans have to understand that we care about the WJC WAY more than NHL GMs do. For them, this is another prospect/development tournament. That's it. This notion that they are going to feel all warm and fuzzy about Canada and lend them a guy who could be in the NHL? It's not happening. If Curtis Lazar is in Ottawa, he's playing for the Ottawa Senators. The only way he goes to the WJC is if he goes back to junior, and I think we all agree that is highly unlikely.

Also, as others have pointed out, his development is far better served practicing and playing with NHL calibre players as opposed to playing against inferior players. Lazar already won the Memorial Cup, so he's done the "big game" thing. You develop playing against BETTER players, not against an 18 year old scrub from Latvia.

Don't get me wrong - I love Team Canada, and much to my wife's chagrin I am all over the big games at the World Juniors like a fat kid on a Smartie. Again, though, it's a U20 development tournament, nothing more. We keep winning the big games that matter at the Olympics, so it's all good. :)

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Don't know what I was thinking with DSP. Either way, I stand by it. If he's playing like a good 3rd/4th liner but isnt scoring, I don't hesitate to send him back. If he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener who's the best guy on his line, hell no, keep him with us. But if he is fringe, not dressing every single night, etc., I think it would benefit him. Anyways, its too far away to really determine what is best.

He's basically in the middle of becoming a 2nd/3rd line tweeter right now. Just have to give him some games to solidify it.

There isn't much difference either way except for that it makes WjC more entertaining for ourselves.

2 weeks out of a lengthy career.

Ottawa loses a clear top 9 forward. and sends an odd msg to team.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If he's an NHL player in calibre by that point the only reason he should go is to satisfy people's desire to be entertAined by the WjC.

Stupid reason. He'll be in ottawa, he'll be better then than he is now.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa loses a clear top 9 forward. and sends an odd msg to team.

Interesting you raise that. We could be into a situation where the NHL declines to participate in the 2018 Winter Games, but players like oh, say, Ovechkin are summoned by the national teams and basically defect from their NHL teams for two weeks. Clearly they will be suspended without pay, but they would grieve it if teams had been in the habit of loaning NHLers out for the World Juniors.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Interesting you raise that. We could be into a situation where the NHL declines to participate in the 2018 Winter Games, but players like oh, say, Ovechkin are summoned by the national teams and basically defect from their NHL teams for two weeks. Clearly they will be suspended without pay, but they would grieve it if teams had been in the habit of loaning NHLers out for the World Juniors.

Not sure I'm following but without permission to go they are gonna have a hard time fighting it.

You either get permission to opt out of a contract or you don't.

The weird message I was referring to was telling the team the wjc takes more important over the actual team. Lazar is clearly a player on this team. He could not show up Saturday and well see people on here say sen him
Back, but one game won't change the fact he's been an NHL player so far. So far a developing NHL player

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lazar is very quickly becoming a key player for this team. In terms of identity. I think by game 30 it will be hard to imagine this team with him.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Ehhh, players should play in WJC. Someone else can fill his 13-15 for two weeks

Players should play in the WJC? That's ludicrous. It's a 2 week tournament for kids that hardly anyone outside of Canada cares about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad