If We Are In The Playoff Push, What Is Your Philosophy On Lazar In WJC?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
staying with the Sens, and feeling like he's past the step of the WJC can be even better than what you get at the WJC

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
So you are telling me an appreciable difference will be felt if Robinson/Greening/Condra is playing instead of Lazar?

If there wasn't an appreciable difference between him and them then you might as well send him down now. He's here because he's better than guys like that so he's helping this team win and helping his own growth in the process. You listed 2 pretty poor NHLers and an AHLer with 0 NHL games to his credit.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
You know he has a career to do that. How about introducing him to highstakes competition in the hopes of winning a championship title:yo:

A two week stretch of NHL hockey will be a blip on the radar for Lazar when it is all said and done. A pursuit of a championship is invaluable.

He led his team to a memorial cup championship less than 6 months ago. The guy knows what it takes to win. He needs to continue to develop at the NHL level against NHL competition.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
If there wasn't an appreciable difference between him and them then you might as well send him down now. He's here because he's better than guys like that so he's helping this team win and helping his own growth in the process. You listed 2 pretty poor NHLers and an AHLer with 0 NHL games to his credit.

Yes and we are talking about a player who has yet to register a NHL goal. He is better, I am not denying that for a second, but how much better is another issue.

Will we be a worse team without him, yes slightly. Will it make a huge difference, no. Will the payoff be worth it long term, in my mind absolutely

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I don't understand how people think that sending him to a WJC will help his development... He is is the NHL playing against the best in the world, this is the best place for him to learn how to play against the best rather than dominating his peer group.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
He led his team to a memorial cup championship less than 6 months ago. The guy knows what it takes to win. He needs to continue to develop at the NHL level against NHL competition.

I know he knows what it takes to win, but lets reintroduce him to that pressure cooker again and make steel sharpen steel. This two weeks in the NHL is a blip on the radar, leave him with a longterm memory of being the captain of a WJC team and hopefully a gold medal.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Screw Hockey Canada. The number of times they've passed over Sens prospects that deserved at least an invite to camp because of politics, and now they come begging with cup in hand?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So you are telling me an appreciable difference will be felt if Robinson/Greening/Condra is playing instead of Lazar?

Since I think Lazar is better than any of them

Yes, that's exactly what I think

You do your best when you give yourself the best chance to win hockey games. Putting Lazar in the line up over any of those three is giving ourselves a better chance to win games

It isn't complicated

Besides, Hockey Canada sucks. Why let Lazar go when you know other programs who are better run will beat us?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Who ****ing cares about the WJC?

If the Sens are making the playoffs, they will keep Lazar.

NHL playoff experience is more valuable than the WJC imo.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Screw Hockey Canada. The number of times they've passed over Sens prospects that deserved at least an invite to camp because of politics, and now they come begging with cup in hand?

Curious statement (this one is not meant to be even slightly argumentative)who are you referring to? Only guy I can think that has been ommitted was Wiercoich, and he had been fringe for awhile.

Off the top of my head we have had Stone and Cowen represent the team. It does not seem that bad. And I have no idea how they are doing, in terms of the rest of the world junior leagues, but Nick Paul and Ben Harpur both were invited to development camp for the WJC

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Since I think Lazar is better than any of them

Yes, that's exactly what I think

You do your best when you give yourself the best chance to win hockey games. Putting Lazar in the line up over any of those three is giving ourselves a better chance to win games

It isn't complicated

Besides, Hockey Canada sucks. Why let Lazar go when you know other programs who are better run will beat us?

I get your point. That being said I am thinking of the Lazar three-five years down the line. I hope that one of these experiences would make a diffference

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lol would be my reaction to team Canada when they come calling, unless something drastic happensof course.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Curious statement (this one is not meant to be even slightly argumentative)who are you referring to? Only guy I can think that has been ommitted was Wiercoich, and he had been fringe for awhile.

Off the top of my head we have had Stone and Cowen represent the team. It does not seem that bad. And I have no idea how they are doing, in terms of the rest of the world junior leagues, but Nick Paul and Ben Harpur both were invited to development camp for the WJC
Driedger for one.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We had a good run

It will be interesting to see if Hockey Canada can get their act back together and not let politics get in the way of putting together the best team they can this year

That 2009 game against Russia was something else, it would be nice to get some more moments like that

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Who ****ing cares about the WJC?

If the Sens are making the playoffs, they will keep Lazar.

NHL playoff experience is more valuable than the WJC imo.

The hockey players do.
Every watch one of those shows that show the hockey players house?
They always show off their medals from the WJC before anything else.
Before whats in their fridge, or their cars. They take a lot of pride in that stuff.

No one seems to keep the puck from their first goal, they give those to their parents but they always keep their medals.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'd rather not have him get injured in games that are pointless from a Sens POV. Is there even a developmental benefit of him playing the WJC?

If he's playing well but pacing at 25pts, then he goes over there, continues his good habits and scores 10 points, he could very well come back with more confidence. There are definitely examples of guys coming back as matured players after the WJC in recent years.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
If it were in another country I would say no, but with it being so close to Ottawa I would leave it up to him. If he wants the opportunity to win it all for his country as the C then I would let him to go. Hopefully Paul makes the team too so they can get some chemistry for a few years down the road!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It depends.

If we're planning on keeping Lazar in Ottawa all year, then forget about the WJC.

If we're going to send him down to the WHL after Xmas, then let him play in the WJC first.

The problem I have, is the pace of the games. We've seen in the past guys who drop down to the WJC from their NHL teams have a...strange...impact on the game. Most of the time the kids are playing and thinking at a much different pace than their junior teammates. To me, it looked like that shifting of gears screwed up quite a few guys over the years...most recent being Dumba.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad