Value of: If Washington trades Ovechkin...

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
What would YOU offer? What would Washington need or want in return?

He has four years left at a caphit of 9.5m

As a Habs fans I'm mulling over some possibilities but it's really tough to deal with such a massive caphit.

Something built along Weber+Pacioretty for Ovechkin+XXX ?

The Flyers are doing a on the fly rebuild and the great 8 is not a fit for what Ron is putting together.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Caps aren't in rebuild mode.

Never said they were? This is obviously all hypothetical and Ovi isn't moving however this deal replaces goal scoring and adds some depth + futures. Doesn't start a rebuild.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
He'd probably be happiest in Florida, he loves Miami.

And they have the pieces and cap space to pull it off, as well as the marketing angle.

He's far from finished, has a few more 40-50g/80p seasons in him with the right team

I agree Florida is one of the few teams that can compete for a cup and still have the cap space to add him into the lineup without any hiccup. With that said no one is giving up an overly high price for someone leaving his prime and entering his decline (although still a great player).

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I agree Florida is one of the few teams that can compete for a cup and still have the cap space to add him into the lineup without any hiccup. With that said no one is giving up an overly high price for someone leaving his prime and entering his decline (although still a great player).

trust me he would love to play with barkov. Theres a frendship there already it seems... But i doubt we see pavel bure 2.0

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Ovy has said he'd prefer the Habs if he's to leave Washington.

Let's assume he's still keen on the Habs and the Caps decide to move on from him.

Weber and Pacioretty for Ovechkin and Carlson? I don't know washington's D that well, we'd need a good D in return.

I don't believe Ovi has said anything like that.

He has said he enjoys playing in Montreal but that doesn't mean he would want to be traded there.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

Right. Your trade offer though wouldn't even move the discussion in the right direction. Caps would want a proven young player + picks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ryan Nugent Hopkins
Jordan Eberle
Jesse Puljujarvi or Darnell Nurse

Would be the Oilers offer or somewhere thereabouts. I can fully understand Washington saying no, you're just asking what we could offer and it would be that.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don't believe Ovi has said anything like that.

He has said he enjoys playing in Montreal but that doesn't mean he would want to be traded there.

That poster may be thinking of Malkin, who said if he ever left Pittsburgh the only two teams he'd want to play for are the Habs and Rangers.

Don't remember Ovy ever talking about "if I left the Caps" before.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There's not going to be a 1:1 equal value trade. Best case, Washington does something similar to what Philly did with Carter and Richards.

Washington gets back a replacement roster player (top 6 wing), a prospect, and a pick.

Problem is, I don't see many teams lining up to do that. 9.5mil is a lot for what Ovechkin brings. Would have to be a win now team that is in desperate need of a 1LW that has the cap space. Not many of them out there.

But hey, Clarkson got traded so you never know.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
First off washington would probably have gone to conference final if they would have meet pittsburgh and they was probably the best team in that serie, but was little bit unlucky.

But ovechkin is a special kind of player, he demands alot of attention and i think it would be in washingtons best intrested to trade him while he has value. But I do not think it will happen for many reasons.

Maybe a 1d or a high class winger in return would seems right?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ovechkin to Vegas for the 6th overall pick is the only thing that makes sense. No other team can fit in Ovechkin's cap, and there isn't really a Weber/Subban type deal that seems to be plausible.

LV doesn't have enough assets to give WSH a "fair" return but they are also the only team who can actually take on Ovechkin's cap hit without sending back other players.

By proxy, WSH gets to keep UFAs they'd otherwise release with that 9.5M of cap such as Oshie or Alzner because they wouldn't have to take back cap in a deal with Vegas like they would in a trade with a different NHL team. Throw in Vegas agreeing not to select a player from Vegas during the draft (or however it would have to be worded to get approval), and the trade ends up looking something like 6th OA+Oshie (6M cap)+Grubauer with a 3.5M cap surplus created for Ovechkin.

A pre-requisite to the trade would be Washington actually feeling like they'd benefit by moving on from Ovechkin. Gives Vegas a huge star to help boost their franchises profile during the early years in exchange for a pick that might get them a very good young player but isn't a sure thing.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Ovechkin and the Verizon center turned a rather bland and stale franchise into a mass marketing machine. 92% of fan wearing jerseys say Ovechkin on the back. He'll be in DC as long as Leonisis owns the team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He'd probably be happiest in Florida, he loves Miami.

And they have the pieces and cap space to pull it off, as well as the marketing angle.

He's far from finished, has a few more 40-50g/80p seasons in him with the right team

and i hope we'd be one of the first in line to offer something. our biggest need has been a goal scoring winger, preferably someone who can play rw with Huberdeau-Barkov, though he prefers the lw he'd be perfect.

what would it take?
we're deep on rd but they need ld. even though we just signed him yandle is a potential piece id imagine. 10th oa is a potential piece.
either a prospect like mascherin (lw) or borgstrom (c) would probably have to be on the table.
if a cheaper ld then mccoshen.
a younger cheaper forward piece like marchessault.

10th oa, 1st '18, 2nd '17/'18, marchessault, bjugstad, yandle, mccoshen, mascherin/borgstrom, these would be the pieces id guess would be on the table.

10th OA + 1st '18 + Marchessault + Bjugstad (cap)
10th OA + Yandle + Mascherin

or some combination of those pieces. no idea whether they'd ask for a kings ransom or given his age and cap hit if the return would be lower than expected. id guess 3 solid pieces in the deal, for us it'd start with the 10th oa I'm assuming.

Last edited:

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
and i hope we'd be one of the first in line to offer something. our biggest need has been a goal scoring winger, preferably someone who can play rw with Huberdeau-Barkov, though he prefers the lw he'd be perfect.

what would it take?
we're deep on rd but they need ld. even though we just signed him yandle is a potential piece id imagine. 10th oa is a potential piece.
either a prospect like mascherin (lw) or borgstrom (c) would probably have to be on the table.
if a cheaper ld then mccoshen.
a younger cheaper forward piece like marchessault.

10th oa, 1st '18, 2nd '17/'18, marchessault, bjugstad, yandle, mccoshen, mascherin/borgstrom, these would be the pieces id guess would be on the table.

10th OA + 1st '18 + Marchessault + Bjugstad (cap)
10th OA + Yandle + Mascherin

or some combination of those pieces. no idea whether they'd ask for a kings ransom or given his age and cap hit if the return would be lower than expected. id guess 3 solid pieces in the deal, for us it'd start with the 10th oa I'm assuming.

This isn't bad. I would hope the CAPS would actually consider if this was offered.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
This isn't bad. I would hope the CAPS would actually consider if this was offered.

while the pieces arent bad in any way I dont think Ovi would be traded for pieces. Also dont think he will be traded at all for the obvious reasons of money he brings in and keeping the team relevant in DC sports. Caps are still 3rd or 4th depending on the Zards. Skins will always be 1 and Nats have been 2 for a while. Ovi keeps the caps at 3. Trading Ovi would not signal a rebuild. Plenty of talent left on the team and would think management would want piece(s) that allow them to contend for a few more years.

For the bolded trade Bjugstad would have to be upgraded

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Chris Kunitz

Give me playoff Kunitz any day :P

In all honesty though, I don't think the Pens could even field an offer. For a cap hit that high, we'd probably have to be looking at one of the big contracts (Crosby, Malkin, Letang) going the other way, and I just don't think it would be in the best interest for the Pens to be moving one of these core players. Just from marketing and recognition alone, Ovi is one of those players that is worth more to his current franchise than any other one imo.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Not even sure if Detroit could put a package up that would work. If we moved for AO it would probably be to just market a superstar since we are entering a rebuild phase

Tatar, Abdelkader, 9th pick 2017.

Could probably make salary work, but it wouldn't get Ovi. There probably isn't a team that could pull it off for both sides to work, unless Capitals wanted to blow it up and move into a different direction. Doubt that, Ovi is still a very high marketable player and will probably continue to pop in 30g regular season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad