Value of: If Washington trades Ovechkin...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What would YOU offer? What would Washington need or want in return?

He has four years left at a caphit of 9.5m

As a Habs fans I'm mulling over some possibilities but it's really tough to deal with such a massive caphit.

Something built along Weber+Pacioretty for Ovechkin+XXX ?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Weber and Pac?! That's surprising. Maybe if Ovechkin was in the middle of his prime but he turns 33 next season.
So he's worth less than that?

I think he's an interesting asset, value-wise, and am curious what the rest of HF thinks of him and his value.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
He's one of those players where you have to give up so many quality assets that it wouldn't be worth it for your team.

pghfan66

May 6, 2017
Waldorf,MD
He's one of those players where you have to give up so many quality assets that it wouldn't be worth it for your team.

I don't know what would be needed in a trade like that but I would suspect either a top guy would have to be traded in order to make the cap room ora couple making less that the top stars. Having 3 players at 9mill+(or almost 9mill cap hit) would be pretty difficult. Sure it would be tempting even if we have spent the past 10+ years "hating" the guy. But the cost would be Ridiculous, not to mention why would the Caps trade a top asset to their hated rival?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I disagree. With his cap hit and age, the cost would not be many quality assets at all. His trade value just isn't that high.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I would offer a package of picks and prospects.

Florida Panthers Trade

2018 Draft

1st + 2nd

2019 Draft

1st + 2nd

Prospects/Players

Jared McCann
Alex Petrovic

Washington Capitals Trade

Alex Ovechkin and Brooks Orpik

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I would offer a package of picks and prospects.

Florida Panthers Trade

2018 Draft

1st + 2nd

2019 Draft

1st + 2nd

Prospects/Players

Jared McCann
Alex Petrovic

Washington Capitals Trade

Alex Ovechkin and Brooks Orpik

Let me get this straight. The Caps trade the best goal-scorer of his generation for two (likely mid- to late-1sts) which aren't even in this years draft. A Dman who'll likely be in the AHL given the Caps depth at the position and a prayer of a prospect who appears to have been a high-scoring junior anomaly.

Yeah we'll pass even though you were nice enough to offer to take Orpik.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Tough to say. He's not young anymore, he could have 1-2 great years left or he could pull a Jagr and stay beasting until 40s. As a Leafs fan, it makes no sense for us to make a trade but I'm bored so I'll just make a fair offer cause boredom

Marner or King Joff
JVR
2017 2nd

If this happened I'd actually be pissed off but guessing it would take that if TO was inclined to trade for OV for some odd reason

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Let me get this straight. The Caps trade the best goal-scorer of his generation for two (likely mid- to late-1sts) which aren't even in this years draft. A Dman who'll likely be in the AHL given the Caps depth at the position and a prayer of a prospect who appears to have been a high-scoring junior anomaly.

Yeah we'll pass even though you were nice enough to offer to take Orpik.

Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of this generation in the same way that Jagr is the second greatest scorer of all time.....I think you seem to be confused as to who Alex Ovechkin was and who Alex Ovechkin is now. If you think he will continue to be the "greatest goal scorer" of the generation than perhaps you need a reality check. He is now in his early thirties still a fantastic player. But a player who is getting older will now most likely have to face injuries due to his age.

Do you really think a team is going to give up a young star player for him. How many teams can take that cap hit? And will Ovechkin want to end his career playing for a young team that has no chance at winning? A package of picks and prospects is really the only logical choice in a hypothetical Ovechkin trade. I have thought of other possibilities but none of them truly make sense. If a trade occurs you get a package of picks and prospects it opens up space for the Caps to sign new players and lets them stockpile picks. Which they have been great at in the late rounds (Kuznetsov, Samsonov, etc..)

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of this generation in the same way that Jagr is the second greatest scorer of all time.....I think you seem to be confused as to who Alex Ovechkin was and who Alex Ovechkin is now. If you think he will continue to be the "greatest goal scorer" of the generation than perhaps you need a reality check. He is now in his early thirties still a fantastic player. But a player who is getting older will now most likely have to face injuries due to his age.

Do you really think a team is going to give up a young star player for him. How many teams can take that cap hit? And will Ovechkin want to end his career playing for a young team that has no chance at winning? A package of picks and prospects is really the only logical choice in a hypothetical Ovechkin trade. I have thought of other possibilities but none of them truly make sense. If a trade occurs you get a package of picks and prospects it opens up space for the Caps to sign new players and lets them stockpile picks. Which they have been great at in the late rounds (Kuznetsov, Samsonov, etc..)

So because you're convinced Ovechkin is declining Wsh is supposed to take an insulting package of boom-BUST (more likely) futures (who are actually getting long in the tooth as prospects themselves) who still haven't carved out a sure-fire NHL future and weak picks. Again if the trade doesn't help Wsh why would they make the trade? The sole benefit of this trade for Wsh is cap-space and I'll assure you if the Caps are selling low they'll still get better offers than this pile.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Trading OV neccessitates the return of a top 6 forward, 1st rounder, good prospect and another depth roster player (at the very least)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's one of those players whose value to the caps is much much higher than that on the market.

He has several assets going for him. Name brand, Star player, Sells tickets. He's good for 30 goals still and all that. However, consider this.

His age makes him really only suitable for a handful of teams who believe they can win the cup this year or next. Now, almost none of those teams will A) Have the assets that allow them to actually acquire him without crippling the team and making them not a contender and B) Have the cap space to make the deal in the first place.

So there will be some retention on any trade, as cap hits like that just don't move in today's NHL unless it's to a team that is rebuilding and has the cap space, but then why would they trade their best pieces and set back their rebuild for a guy past his prime?

So, you need to

1. Find the teams interested
2. Narrow those teams down to teams Ovi will waive his NTC for.
3. Find which of those teams have assets you think is fair value for a retained Ovi.
4. Work out a deal and hope for the best.

I think you find yourself in the same situation of the Kessel trade. Maybe there is one team that has that fit, but you won't get his true value because they hold all the chips.

Really the only way he is traded is not for full value, but if the Caps think moving on from him is the best bet and try to get some draft picks and a few top prospects out of a team. In this scenario, they are likely taking back a cap dump as well just to make the money work.

So trading Ovi is more than moving a player, it literally weakens the team. This means if he moves, the logical following after that is to go for a full rebuild as you've weakened your time full of stars in their primes or passing it.

I think looking at the big picture, the value of Jersey's, ticket sales, and guaranteed playoffs for the rest of his career is worth more than what his return is on the trade market. Therefore it's doubtful he is ever moved unless he is literally run out of town. If that happens, expect a much lower return than you think he would get.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Ovy has said he'd prefer the Habs if he's to leave Washington.

Let's assume he's still keen on the Habs and the Caps decide to move on from him.

Weber and Pacioretty for Ovechkin and Carlson? I don't know washington's D that well, we'd need a good D in return.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Ovy has said he'd prefer the Habs if he's to leave Washington.

Let's assume he's still keen on the Habs and the Caps decide to move on from him.

Weber and Pacioretty for Ovechkin and Carlson? I don't know washington's D that well, we'd need a good D in return.

regardless of how good he is, that contract will crush caps especially in next few years

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
All this Ovechkin trade talk is meh. Washington isn't going to trade Ovechkin. They're going to look at his playoffs vs TOR, then look at them vs PIT after he 'hurt his leg' and write it off as injury related and go again next season with him. Which honestly, as much as I dislike Ovechkin, is the responsible thing to do. You don't make massive changes if you do not have to. And you certainly do not do it when you can't make your team better in the process. Washington isn't going to do a rebuild right now, which means any deal for Ovie has to be for "value" - which we all know will not happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad