Value of: If Washington trades Ovechkin...

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
I disagree. With his cap hit and age, the cost would not be many quality assets at all. His trade value just isn't that high.

You'd just be very very incorrect. He had a down year, let's not jump to conclusions that he isn't a 50 goal scorer. This isn't the first time he has had a down year too in his career. The last time he did he bounced back with three 50 goal seasons. Besides why would Washington move him without quality going back? Just wouldn't make any sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He keeps that building in Washington full and makes them a virtual lock for playoffs every year and sells a boat load of jerseys.

The GM is not going to trade him, there's more to hockey than just the on-ice stuff, it's a business. It's highly unlikely the Caps would be getting a star draw on par with Ovechkin if they traded him.

If they ever win a Cup for Ovy, that's almost a bonus at this point. He only has like 4 years left on his deal anyway, which is perfectly manageable. Maaaaaaybe they deal him in the last year of his deal as a rental to somewhere but that's about it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
What would YOU offer? What would Washington need or want in return?

He has four years left at a caphit of 9.5m

As a Habs fans I'm mulling over some possibilities but it's really tough to deal with such a massive caphit.

Something built along Weber+Pacioretty for Ovechkin+XXX ?

Oh please Bergevin, please do this.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
All this Ovechkin trade talk is meh. Washington isn't going to trade Ovechkin. They're going to look at his playoffs vs TOR, then look at them vs PIT after he 'hurt his leg' and write it off as injury related and go again next season with him. Which honestly, as much as I dislike Ovechkin, is the responsible thing to do. You don't make massive changes if you do not have to. And you certainly do not do it when you can't make your team better in the process. Washington isn't going to do a rebuild right now, which means any deal for Ovie has to be for "value" - which we all know will not happen.

they've had basically the same team at the top for a while now, and adding other pieces like Oshie/Kuznetsov etc. hasn't helped get them anywhere, if this summer isn't the time for a big change then next summer is it. your making it sound like they've only been in this situation for a year or 2 it's been at least 10 years of being Cup Contenders with nothing even remotely close to winning it.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
they've had basically the same team at the top for a while now, and adding other pieces like Oshie/Kuznetsov etc. hasn't helped get them anywhere, if this summer isn't the time for a big change then next summer is it. your making it sound like they've only been in this situation for a year or 2 it's been at least 10 years of being Cup Contenders with nothing even remotely close to winning it.

Yeah if Ovechkin stays they are going to be a weaker team one of Oshie or Alzner is leaving and most likely Williams. They don't have the cap to add any more. What you saw a week ago was the best team the Caps are going to ice as long as Ovechkin is here.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
So because you're convinced Ovechkin is declining Wsh is supposed to take an insulting package of boom-BUST (more likely) futures (who are actually getting long in the tooth as prospects themselves) who still haven't carved out a sure-fire NHL future and weak picks. Again if the trade doesn't help Wsh why would they make the trade? The sole benefit of this trade for Wsh is cap-space and I'll assure you if the Caps are selling low they'll still get better offers than this pile.

Im not convinced he is decling, he IS declining. Once you wake up from your Cinderella dream maybe you'll see reality for what it is. And you say you can get a better offer?? LOLL sweet dreams. I'm sure you'll get Tarasenko back for Ovechkin or wait maybe a top five draft pick for a guy with four years left !!! How about an organizations top prospesct!! Don't forget it's an organization with 10 million in cap hanging around to spare than Ovechkin has to accept the deal to that team !! LOL good luck.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Salary doesn't exactly work and the Caps need defensemen.

Weber is the piece I'd like to build around

I didn't include things like salary as I said just to start.

Also I'm not a Washington fan so I don't know for sure but don't you think they'd want offense coming back? They could free up some cap space and re-sign a defenceman instead of losing one to FA.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Im not convinced he is decling, he IS declining. Once you wake up from your Cinderella dream maybe you'll see reality for what it is. And you say you can get a better offer?? LOLL sweet dreams. I'm sure you'll get Tarasenko back for Ovechkin or wait maybe a top five draft pick for a guy with four years left !!! How about an organizations top prospesct!! Don't forget it's an organization with 10 million in cap hanging around to spare than Ovechkin has to accept the deal to that team !! LOL good luck.

Jared McCann is what a D- Prospect at this point? His game appears to translate to one thing career minor-leaguer. Petrovic, the Caps have three RD at the NHL level better than him and Bowey in the AHL who I'd probably rather give those NHL minutes to. Two mid- late-1st aren't quite the lipstick you need for that pig. It's the steaming pile with a couple pieces of corn on it. The Caps may not get much for Ovechkin but if they trade him they'll do so for pieces that they need and that make them better. It's fine if you want to dump on Ovechkin but don't skirt the fact that everything you offered amounts to a whole bunch of nothing. If we need to fill out our AHL roster for a few years we'll trade you Orpik.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Reinhart + winger of your choice + 8th OV

Wheelin' Jason Botterill!

This is actually not too bad, although Caps fans probably would want more

The only wingers they could be would be Kane or Okposo though, and doubtful the Sabres will want to trade Okposo soon after signing. Kane has less value so Buffalo would need to add another piece (a defenseman, to offset Washington's anticipated loss of Shattenkirk and possibly Alzner) Eichel and OV would make a nice duo, with O'Reilly and Okposo anchoring the second line

How highly regarded is McCabe? Could Buffalo afford to lose him? Would they need a defenseman back? (Schmidt? don't know too much about him). Alzner is a pending UFA correct?

Reinhart+McCabe+Kane+8OA? For Ovechkin+Schmidt? Or no Schmidt?

Washington could then use the cap space to retain some players expected to leave (Oshie, Shattenkirk) and try to trade up/down in the draft for a higher pick or assets

Perhaps part of the value could come from a retention deal for Orpik so that Buffalo could send less value b/c Washington is getting rid of a bad contract

Last edited:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Trading OV neccessitates the return of a top 6 forward, 1st rounder, good prospect and another depth roster player (at the very least)

Any team that gave that much up would regret it the very next day and for the next 10 years. He is not worth half what many think he is worth at this time of his career taken age and contract left to take on.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tough to say. He's not young anymore, he could have 1-2 great years left or he could pull a Jagr and stay beasting until 40s. As a Leafs fan, it makes no sense for us to make a trade but I'm bored so I'll just make a fair offer cause boredom

Marner or King Joff
JVR
2017 2nd

If this happened I'd actually be pissed off but guessing it would take that if TO was inclined to trade for OV for some odd reason

He could've pulled a Jagr if he didn't play such a physical game throughout his career. It finally caught up to him.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, C. Jones

For

Ovechkin, Eller, rights to Williams

Ovechkin-McDavid-Caggulia
Maroon-Draisaitl-Williams
Lucic-Eller-Puljujarvi

Burakovsky-Backstrom-Oshie
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Eberle
Connolly-RNH-Wilson

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
What would YOU offer? What would Washington need or want in return?

He has four years left at a caphit of 9.5m

As a Habs fans I'm mulling over some possibilities but it's really tough to deal with such a massive caphit.

Something built along Weber+Pacioretty for Ovechkin+XXX ?

So without Weber and Pacioretty, Montreal with Ovechkin would be significantly worse than any Washington with Ovechkin team of this era, and they have never reached a conference finals once which is the only reason they would look to trade Ovechkin in the first place.

Sounds very bad for them.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He'd probably be happiest in Florida, he loves Miami.

And they have the pieces and cap space to pull it off, as well as the marketing angle.

He's far from finished, has a few more 40-50g/80p seasons in him with the right team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad