Value of: If traded, predict where they go and for what -- JVR, Bozak, Komarov

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There are two questions that need to be answered before the season starts.

1. are we a guaranteed playoff team. Remember management stated they want to become like Washington as an example of a team you know is making the playoffs every year.

2. If we do make the playoffs are we a cup contender. Remember management stated they don't want to just make the playoffs the goal is to be a contender for many years.

Answer to first - No we are not guaranteed to make the playoffs.
Answer to second- No we are not cup contenders.

So if this is the case we are not in a position to lose assets that will set us up for the future for nothing.

Find out what Bozak, JVR, Komarov want for contracts and if they fit into the cap then sign them if not trade them. Do not let them walk for nothing. Does not help our future when we are contenders and need the assets on ELC to push us to te top.

This makes sense and is pragmatic. The downside is that you probably have to compromise a bit on player value - a guy who should go for a late first round pick goes for a second and a third or a guy who should return an A prospect returns a B+ prospect. To use your example - look at the Caps and what they accepted for Marcus Johansson. Also the current market for competent defenders is high compared to the value of what should be equivalent forwards. Leafs have a bright future and I doubt the decisions on these players make or break them. I think the quality of their scouting to draft depth behind their current high end young players will be the key to their success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad