Speculation: If Toronto misses the playoffs again... Will NONIS be Fired?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
If they don't expect to make the playoffs, you can't fire a guy for not making them... Depends on what their goals are and how the group exhibits growth or lack thereof.

Good point. Rielly wasn't the best on D last year, it would have been easy for Nonis to overpay for someone to take his spot and keep Rielly in the 5-6 hole, rather than that I believe management sees this year as a development year mainly for Rielly, Gardiner, and Kadri. I think these three are going to pushed a bit more than usual.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
So what is Shanny doing here, selling popcorn?

If they wanted Shanahan to be GM, they would have fired Nonis and gave him the title of GM. The truth is he is nowhere near qualified for that position, although I doubt he could be much worse than Nonis. He is/was the Leafs answer to 3 straight collapses. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
If you think this is bad, think about this. You could have been born a dung beetle, rolling **** all day for food. Now that would piss me off

:laugh: but the dung beetle might be really happy with that sort of lifestyle.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If they wanted Shanahan to be GM, they would have fired Nonis and gave him the title of GM. The truth is he is nowhere near qualified for that position, although I doubt he could be much worse than Nonis. He is/was the Leafs answer to 3 straight collapses. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Shanny's vision, Nonis is here to fit it into the rules. Shanny would be lost with all the actual work.

TheThrill81*

I've been a fan my entire life, a die hard... But after the Phaneuf and clarkson contracts I'm officially done. I simply don't like this team anymore... That being said I'm still a hockey fan and I don't support any other team but **** nonis I can't support this loser any longer

That's nice. Don't bother posting in the Leafs forum this coming season.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Shanny's vision, Nonis is here to fit it into the rules. Shanny would be lost with all the actual work.

Yes, if you want to give it a positive spin, that is how I would do it. It would be a major turnoff for any well respected GM which is why Shanny should probably go when Nonis goes. But this is the Leafs, so we know it won't happen.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
i think he should get fired if they don't make the playoffs. but if he doesn't i think carlyle will be for sure

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Players, coaches, gm's even owners come and go here. Hell I think we've had 4 owners over the same span of time as Lamerello's gm gig with devils. Anyway us fans are the only constant, you say you're done but you know you're not.:yo:

I'm done supporting them, I'm done paying money towards them, I'm finished defending them... When I see changes I'll start paying money towards them again. That being said their still "my team" as unfortunate as that is... Every leaf fan should be disgusted IMO and should boycott games I don't know how anyone could support this team with Phaneuf as captain the guy is a loser and everyone in the city knows it

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If only every leaf fan was as rational as you. When things go PSYCHOTICALLY bad, fans SHOULD be angry. They SHOULD stop going to games. The ACC would be full of empty seats... and then FINALLY we'd start seeing some changes.

Instead, everybody will try and convince themselves that "this" is our year, subscribe to leaf tv, buy their favorite jerseys, go to games, and the we'll be stuck in this never ending mediocrity.

Pretty much this, I like the logo on the front but this team is a joke, management down... Their are plenty of teams in this city TFC just spent 100 million, raptors are doing great things... But the leafs? Nope just can't any longer

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
What's going to happen:

a. Leafs make the playoffs: "OMG Shanahan is a genius!"

b. Leafs miss the playoffs: "Nonis is stupid. Fire Nonis!"

Nice little buffer for Shanny.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A few issue's with this thread.

One we do not know his mandate, was it to get back to the playoffs as quick as possible or was it to continue to add youth and trend upward ?

Next, blaming Nonis for 10 years out of the playoffs makes little sense considering the length of is tenure as GM.

Last, his terrible contract history is subjective as hell. Yes the Clarkson contract is universally viewed as a mistake but beyond that there is much room for debate. Of course our fringe lunatics will say as if it is a fact that Dion and Kessel's contracts are terrible but Dion's case it's very debatable and Kessel's a minority opinion.

In essence the question is innocent enough and so I voted no he won't be fired because he hasn't had much time as he actual GM but I ha to think the OP probably put up this post so he could revel in the negativity gladly dished out by the usual suspects who really would be miserable if we were a perennial contender and who dug deep to complain when we did make the playoffs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The fact that the Leafs have not made the post season in nearly a decade (not counting the short half season, because that does NOT count)

So does that mean Chicago's cup win last year doesn't count? And New Jersey's cup win in 1995?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Shanahan was brought in as president so he could ease his way into being gm.

Not a new thought, but right now Shanahan is in a no lose position, if this team achieves he's praised for his wisdom and patience. If it underwhelms he fires everybody and brings in the people he has spent the last 5 years pondering what he would do if he was in charge.

LordKmus

Feb 19, 2012
I'm not so sure he would get the boot that quickly when taking his contract into consideration.

He's made some great moves, and two bad ones. Unfortunately people really love to shine light on your mistakes in pro sports.

It's much more likely that Carlyle gets the boot and Nonis would get one more year. Unless, Shanny wants to take over as GM or bring in his own guy.

I honestly think Nonis gets way too much hate. Other than the length of Clarkson's deal, and the Bolland trade, I think he's done a pretty decent job.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
GMs and coaches are hired to be fired unless you're top 3-5 in the NHL and have won multiple cups. Shanahan is the long-term overseer of this organization now and will not be taking over the GM job, that's silly. Will he eventually like to bring in his own guys to fill management positions? Yes. But he is patient and wants to evaluate what he has and that includes Nonis and Carlyle. If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year than it will likely force Shanahan to make those changes much quicker than he would probably like (although Babcock might be available so who knows). But if the Leafs do make the playoffs than he will be content to keep Nonis and Carlyle on a while longer until he is ready to make the next step to being a contender.

Mar 26, 2010
I've been a fan my entire life, a die hard... But after the Phaneuf and clarkson contracts I'm officially done. I simply don't like this team anymore... That being said I'm still a hockey fan and I don't support any other team but **** nonis I can't support this loser any longer
I hear you...

Very Frustrating.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Current situation.

Shanahan's Team & Burke's GM and Coach

Inevitable Situation

Shanahan's Team & Shanahan's GM & Coach

Missing Unknown Component

Time ???

Well put. Nonis and Carlyle will depart around the same time so that Shannahan's new GM can select a coach.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
After the good signings and trades in the last days they have a good chance to make the playoffs. If not, Carlyle has to go first.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
What's going to happen:

a. Leafs make the playoffs: "OMG Shanahan is a genius!"

b. Leafs miss the playoffs: "Nonis is stupid. Fire Nonis!"

Nice little buffer for Shanny.

i think shanny showed class not firing anyone ....plus it save lewieke from looking like a bigger goof for endorsing every goofy signing nonis did ,and by not firing carlyle ,show the next coach coming in the players finally have some resopsablity.
lets face it ,if florida and the islanders finish ahead of the leafs everyone is gone ,likley kessel too ,shanny is giving nonis a chance to back up his belief he built a playoff team ,we can yack ,do polls ,debate till we are blue in the face ,the results dictate if nonis is good or bad ,shany did the right thing ,leafs wont win a cup likley during nonis 's contract anyways
,but if florida the islanders and buffalo get stronger ,,,,,,,,hes gone

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Current situation.

Shanahan's Team & Burke's GM and Coach

Inevitable Situation

Shanahan's Team & Shanahan's GM & Coach

Missing Unknown Component

Time ???

Exactly my thoughts. Nonis and Carlyle are still here to buy Shanahan some time to plan his moves.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If they stumble out of the gates, RC will be gone
If they fail to make the playoffs after hiring a new coach (or interim) I think Nonis will be fired

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I don't see what purpose that the negativity serves, other than taking out your frustrations on others who are excited about the team. Because that's exactly what it boils down to: a bunch of people who can't keep their emotions in check, and want to bring others down to their level. It's been said a lot, but it deserves to be said again. If you don't like the product, you're not forced to watch it or buy the merchandise. I get that there's an emotional connection, but the organization doesn't owe you anything because you're not obligated to spend your money or emotional resources on the team. None of us are entitled to anything from the team. If you don't like the personnel or the direction of the team, show your disapproval by ceasing to support them. That's all it takes. You don't even need to do anything. Otherwise, it just comes off as a bunch of people anonymously verbally abusing complete strangers behind their backs. That's exactly what it is. Again, I understand why you feel the attachment to the team, but that doesn't really justify trying to bring everyone else down.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I don't understand this faith in Shanahan. Other than showing he can one time a puck and make silly videos explaining his sometimes perplexing suspensions. What exactly are his qualifications?

TheThrill81*

I'm done supporting them, I'm done paying money towards them, I'm finished defending them... When I see changes I'll start paying money towards them again. That being said their still "my team" as unfortunate as that is... Every leaf fan should be disgusted IMO and should boycott games I don't know how anyone could support this team with Phaneuf as captain the guy is a loser and everyone in the city knows it

Any self respecting Leafs fan would disagree with you, people like you are what's wrong with this fan base. You irrational dislike for Phaneuf proves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad