Speculation: If Toronto misses the playoffs again... Will NONIS be Fired?

Disgruntled Observer*

Current situation.

Shanahan's Team & Burke's GM and Coach

Inevitable Situation

Shanahan's Team & Shanahan's GM & Coach

Missing Unknown Component

Time ???

You're probably right. Sooner, rather than later, both Nonis and Carlyle will be gone.

If Nonis is fired, it should be for his part in what happened during Burke's reign of terror, and not for what's happened since becoming GM.
Oh, and the Clarkson contract of course. The god damn Clarkson contract.

Razorwing

Oct 17, 2010
I think if Shanahan wants Nonis and Carlyle gone, he would've done that already.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Though I doubt he will be fired since we have Shanahan running the show here.

Shanahan looks good in a suit. Other than that, not convinced he really does anything. I guess he has given the team some vague directives, more skill and compete level. Take more chances in the draft. I mean this isn't exactly worth a 7 figure salary. He's a distraction. They should have cut the B.S. and just called him the V.P. of Public Relations.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You're probably right. Sooner, rather than later, both Nonis and Carlyle will be gone.

If Nonis is fired, it should be for his part in what happened during Burke's reign of terror, and not for what's happened since becoming GM.
Oh, and the Clarkson contract of course. The god damn Clarkson contract.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Nonis was against the Kessel trade.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Exactly and we all know who is giving Nonis direction now. So if we end up worse than last year who is really to blame...

They could ship out Shanahan with the rest of them. Wouldn't be any big loss. In fact, can't see any top notch GMs that are going to want to answer to a no-experience guy like Shanahan. So it would make it easier to find a quality GM, if he was gone.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I dont know. Nonis is such a poker player I have a hard time reading of him what his intentions are. Perhaps he and Shanny know this team aint good enough but for various reasons doing a full tank is not really what they want to do. First of all it would lower the value on the players going out, there would be a lot of media attention as to why they are not trying to win now etc. So they fill the roster with short terms deals and tradable players and if they manage to take the team in to the playoffs, then great. If not, well that was kind of what they expected anyway. Now this is if Nonis and Shanahan is on the same wavelength regarding our team and how to fix it.

If Nonis is trying to build a competitive team and he have said so to Shanny that this is one and they still fail then I can see him getting fired.

Thing is with Nonis, he is a hard worker. A solid 2nd man. And Brendan is probably ok with having him around because of it. He is some one who can fulfill your plan.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Shanahan looks good in a suit. Other than that, not convinced he really does anything. I guess he has given the team some vague directives, more skill and compete level. Take more chances in the draft. I mean this isn't exactly worth a 7 figure salary. He's a distraction. They should have cut the B.S. and just called him the V.P. of Public Relations.

Totally disagree. If Shanahan says he does something I 100% believe him. You don't get hired by Gary Bettman and Tim Lieweke by screwing the pooch. I know he's working his ass off.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They could ship out Shanahan with the rest of them. Wouldn't be any big loss. In fact, can't see any top notch GMs that are going to want to answer to a no-experience guy like Shanahan. So it would make it easier to find a quality GM, if he was gone.

Wehave to give him at least a year probably three, all I'm saying is if the team is worse don't blame Nonis. Carlyle will be the only casualty if we are worse.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Current situation.

Shanahan's Team & Burke's GM and Coach

Inevitable Situation

Shanahan's Team & Shanahan's GM & Coach

Missing Unknown Component

Time ???

Time indeed. I'd wager that if the Leafs get off to a slow start and are bottom feeding at the Yank thanksgiving Nonis/Carlyle et al are all gassed.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Wehave to give him at least a year probably three, all I'm saying is if the team is worse don't blame Nonis. Carlyle will be the only casualty if we are worse.

I'm definitely going to blame Nonis if the team is worse. Like I said, I'm not buying the Shanahan P.R. stunt. These moves are all Nonis.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Wanted to say he should be fired right now. But I'm not sure there's anyone I'd hire right now.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm definitely going to blame Nonis if the team is worse. Like I said, I'm not buying the Shanahan P.R. stunt. These moves are all Nonis.
Most people are really liking our off season, if our team is worse it would seem like just a coaching job...

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The fact that the Leafs have not made the post season in nearly a decade (not counting the short half season, because that does NOT count)
I think Chicago would disagree , but that's just my opinion

Anything short of winning a cup and Nonis as well as Carlyle will be fired, its pretty inevitable

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Most people are really liking our off season, if our team is worse it would seem like just a coaching job...

I have no idea why. Toughness was not this team's biggest issue. It's defensive play and puck possession. Adding defenseman who handle the puck like "a grenade on their stick" and can't pass is not going to help with possession. We will need another Vezina caliber season from Bernier to have any hope of making the playoffs. How Carlyle at a minimum was not fired blows my mind. And that is directly on Nonis and Shanahan.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I've been a fan my entire life, a die hard... But after the Phaneuf and clarkson contracts I'm officially done. I simply don't like this team anymore... That being said I'm still a hockey fan and I don't support any other team but **** nonis I can't support this loser any longer

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I've been a fan my entire life, a die hard... But after the Phaneuf and clarkson contracts I'm officially done. I simply don't like this team anymore... That being said I'm still a hockey fan and I don't support any other team but **** nonis I can't support this loser any longer

later

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Players, coaches, gm's even owners come and go here. Hell I think we've had 4 owners over the same span of time as Lamerello's gm gig with devils. Anyway us fans are the only constant, you say you're done but you know you're not.:yo:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If they don't expect to make the playoffs, you can't fire a guy for not making them... Depends on what their goals are and how the group exhibits growth or lack thereof.

Disgruntled Observer*

If only every leaf fan was as rational as you. When things go PSYCHOTICALLY bad, fans SHOULD be angry. They SHOULD stop going to games. The ACC would be full of empty seats... and then FINALLY we'd start seeing some changes.

Instead, everybody will try and convince themselves that "this" is our year, subscribe to leaf tv, buy their favorite jerseys, go to games, and the we'll be stuck in this never ending mediocrity.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I have no idea why. Toughness was not this team's biggest issue. It's defensive play and puck possession. Adding defenseman who handle the puck like "a grenade on their stick" and can't pass is not going to help with possession. We will need another Vezina caliber season from Bernier to have any hope of making the playoffs. How Carlyle at a minimum was not fired blows my mind. And that is directly on Nonis and Shanahan.

So you don't think adding Robidas and Polak and moving our youngster's and our best D-man to their proper sides are going to help our defense? Have you ever played hockey and played on your wrong side? It's 10x harder.

Why is "a grenade on their stick" in quotations? I'd love to see that quote you're referencing.

I love it when people only think defensemen make the team defense better. We just added a bunch of strong two way players for our third and forth lines and did it for pocket change. You will see how much a hard working, defensively responsible forth line helps this team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If only every leaf fan was as rational as you. When things go PSYCHOTICALLY bad, fans SHOULD be angry. They SHOULD stop going to games. The ACC would be full of empty seats... and then FINALLY we'd start seeing some changes.

Instead, everybody will try and convince themselves that "this" is our year, subscribe to leaf tv, buy their favorite jerseys, go to games, and the we'll be stuck in this never ending mediocrity.

If you think this is bad, think about this. You could have been born a dung beetle, rolling **** all day for food. Now that would piss me off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad