If They Did A Remake of Slap Shot

Bowzer55

Mar 28, 2007
Binghamton
If they did a remake of Slap Shot, what current NHLers would you pick to star and why?
Reggie Dunlop- Joe Thornton. One last glory run for the old vet
Joe McGrath- Bruce Boudreau
Ned Braden- Connor McDavid. The young star player
Dave "Killer" Carlson- Miles Wood
Hanson Brothers- Matt Tkachuk, Brady Tkachuk and Max Domi. Throw some mullets and glasses on these guys and they would be great
Jim Carr- Rick Jeanneret
Denis Lemieux- Marc-Andre Fleury. Natural fit
Johnny Upton- Sidney Crosby. The captain
Morris Wanchuk- Brent Burns
Tim "Dr. Hook McCracken- Brad Marchand
Tommy Hanrahan- Mike Smith
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown- Alex Ovechkin
Ogie Oglethorpe- Milan Lucic

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
If they did a remake of Slap Shot, what current NHLers would you pick to star and why?
Hanson Brothers- Matt Tkachuk, Brady Tkachuk and Max Domi. Throw some mullets and glasses on these guys and they would be great
Jim Carr- Rick Jeanneret

Kind of agree on every choice. great job! Screaming Buffalo Ovechkin

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
I understand it's a cult classic and its portrayal of hockey culture in the 70s was executed perfectly, but as a 20 something year old it felt dated.

I also obviously couldn't relate with a lot of the old clichés which didn't help.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Not just a good hockey movie- a good film done by movie people. It may be dated in style, but the idea of a failing franchise tanking to move to a better city is as relevant as ever. So are:
Aging veteran trying to hang on
Aloof star player who's wife hates him
Cheap and utterly incompetent GM (who is a cross dresser)
French Canadians with cultural difficulties
The list could go on and I'm not even including the Hansons, which is what resonated the most with moviegoers. I was around when it came out. It's not a cult film. It was Directed by George Roy Hill and starred possibly the biggest celebrity in Hollywood at the time, along with several character actors of note (Strother Martin? Are you kidding me?) Also worth mentioning is the fact that today you would have to soften up the dialog quite a bit (When Newman tells off the owner, that is a brutal takedown. Also the daughter of the reporter complaining that her brother called her a "p**sy").
IMO doesn't need a remake, was and still is the best sports movie of all time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I understand it's a cult classic and its portrayal of hockey culture in the 70s was executed perfectly, but as a 20 something year old it felt dated.

I also obviously couldn't relate with a lot of the old clichés which didn't help.

More than fair.

That being said, odds are good that if you re-watch it in a few years you'll appreciate it more.

Reactions: Leafidelity

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Jim Carr- Rick Jeanneret
So Bruce Boudreau who was in the original movie would play a new character in the remake.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Assuming it was intended, good job by the OP to include Bruce Boudreau in the remake. For those of you who don't know, he was an extra in the original movie (I believe #7 on the opposing team in the beginning).

Edit: damn beaten to it :laugh:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
LUONGO as the French goalie--that would be fun

who gets Keanu Reeves spot as a goalie?? He didn't get too many lines - if any.

edit: Doh!! this is Youngblood

keanu reeves skapshot 01.jpg

Last edited:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
The original Slap Shot is a classic not just because it's a great and funny sports movie, but because of the subtext about the demise of the American Rust Belt in the 1970s and its effect on the psyche of people who lived there. It's a sort of "time capsule" type of movie. Remove that context and the movie is just an okay comedy. I think "Goon" is as close as we're ever going to get to a remake of Slap Shot that's worth watching.

That being said...as far as personality goes, Fleury is a dead ringer for Lemieux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad