If They Did A Remake of Slap Shot

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
We can differ on our opinions of the movie. Art is subjective. But I will posit this:
Between Goon, Mighty Ducks, Mystery Alaska, Youngblood or take your pick, which of those will be talked about on message boards 40 years from now?
Say what you will, Slapshot's influence is more pervasive than probably any other sports movie ever.

Reactions: sharkhawk

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hey now, those of us that have mighty ducks nostalgia are now pushing 30. Slap shot and the mighty ducks don’t hold up.
I loved Mighty Ducks as a kid (just turned 30), couldn't pay me to watch them now. Watched Slapshot like 10 years ago, wasn't about it, don't get the love for it but didn't dislike the movie by any means. If you like really shitty editing, great. I liked Goon way more and I watched them both for the first time roughly the same time. Probably a generational thing.
I'd watch Goon 3 times before thinking of watching Mighty Ducks or Slapshot.

Reactions: martinez

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Slap shot is a good movie with some truly hysterical sequences, especially with the Hanson’s of course. I can’t call it a great movie though as some of the off ice scenes, specifically the more grounded bits, are poorly written and badly acted.

Goon was pretty good, love Youngblood and I like Mystery Alaska also. Could watch the Mighty Ducks though, they’ve badly dated.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If they did a remake of Slap Shot, what current NHLers would you pick to star and why?
Reggie Dunlop- Joe Thornton. One last glory run for the old vet
Joe McGrath- Bruce Boudreau
Ned Braden- Connor McDavid. The young star player
Dave "Killer" Carlson- Miles Wood
Hanson Brothers- Matt Tkachuk, Brady Tkachuk and Max Domi. Throw some mullets and glasses on these guys and they would be great
Jim Carr- Rick Jeanneret
Denis Lemieux- Marc-Andre Fleury. Natural fit
Johnny Upton- Sidney Crosby. The captain
Morris Wanchuk- Brent Burns
Tim "Dr. Hook McCracken- Brad Marchand
Tommy Hanrahan- Mike Smith
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown- Alex Ovechkin
Ogie Oglethorpe- Milan Lucic
Reavo for the Ogie role

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
We can differ on our opinions of the movie. Art is subjective. But I will posit this:
Between Goon, Mighty Ducks, Mystery Alaska, Youngblood or take your pick, which of those will be talked about on message boards 40 years from now?
Say what you will, Slapshot's influence is more pervasive than probably any other sports movie ever.
Hey now...let’s leave Mystery Alaska out of this.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Slap shot is a good movie with some truly hysterical sequences, especially with the Hanson’s of course. I can’t call it a great movie though as some of the off ice scenes, specifically the more grounded bits, are poorly written and badly acted.

Goon was pretty good, love Youngblood and I like Mystery Alaska also. Could watch the Mighty Ducks though, they’ve badly dated.
I would rate Miracle 2nd best behind Slapshot. Every other hockey movie sucks.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The "I went to see a fight but a hockey game broke out" cliché... sorry I offended you partner. Rage on
What @tarheelhockey said... it's actually, among things, a scathing satire on hockey violence of the era, which is nowhere so clear as in the ending of the film. I will quote a recent post:

It’s about the duality of man and the struggle of one hockey player trying to break free from his culture’s barbaric past, while dealing with and eventually triumphing over his own existential crisis in a cathartic moment that will leave all viewers breathless.

Like with Starship Troopers which was taken as nothing but a straight-shooting space action film by many, the undeniably intentional satire element maybe wasn't blunt-force enough for a lot of viewers.

I blame Hanson brothers in their thick-rimmed glasses and Neil Patrick Harris in his nazi uniform being so goddamn cute.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Isn't that the perfect reason to remake it?

I don't get why remakes are almost always made of movies that already got it right the first time. They should remake movies that had good potential but bad execution.
Hmmm. That’s a really good point.
upload_2019-10-14_21-45-27.gif

Reactions: LemurFromTheId

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yes but don't we still have the older generation questioning the youngings who spend time on away game trips with controllers in their hands?

Timeless.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Reading this thread has caused me to lose what little faith I had remaining in the younger generations of HF posters. Get off my lawn!
Aw man I promise this is a one-off. I can't stand today's music and love the classic 80s and 90s flicks...I also can't stand the snowflakes of today's generation. I'll try to find a special place in my heart for Paul Newman.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
If they did a remake of Slap Shot, what current NHLers would you pick to star and why?
Reggie Dunlop- Joe Thornton. One last glory run for the old vet
Joe McGrath- Bruce Boudreau
Ned Braden- Connor McDavid. The young star player
Dave "Killer" Carlson- Miles Wood
Hanson Brothers- Matt Tkachuk, Brady Tkachuk and Max Domi. Throw some mullets and glasses on these guys and they would be great
Jim Carr- Rick Jeanneret
Denis Lemieux- Marc-Andre Fleury. Natural fit
Johnny Upton- Sidney Crosby. The captain
Morris Wanchuk- Brent Burns
Tim "Dr. Hook McCracken- Brad Marchand
Tommy Hanrahan- Mike Smith
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown- Alex Ovechkin
Ogie Oglethorpe- Milan Lucic
I could have sworn summer was over.....

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I would rate Miracle 2nd best behind Slapshot. Every other hockey movie sucks.
what about the one with the the chimp who plays hockey ?
how could you not like that?
MVP ! MVP ! MVP!

they chant it at arenas all across the land !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad