If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I, too, always liked Laviolette.
Crawford fits for the french speaking factor but not being so french that he'd love DD and Bouillon to Therrien levels.
Boucher was good with Hamilton and TB.. 1-3-1 aside, he got a terribly flawed hockey team to the conference finals and 2 goals away from the Stanley Cup Finals. Not afraid to play young players and is noted for developing them.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Seems to me the main problem with the habs at the moment is the defensive pairings. Markov and Subban bring offence and occasional risks (major risks for Markov lately) with OK but not impressive physical play and pretty good defence. On the power play that's fine, but wouldn't it be better to split them at even strength? The habs just don't score with any other pairings right now.

On the flip side Murray needs a high end partner so he can just hit (like Komisarek) and not a guy like Bouillon. He might be able to contribute if the other team had to cover his partner.

Probably wouldn't be an issue if Therrien didn't think Bouillon was a really good 3rd d-man. Or if he weren't trying to give the credit for Subban's game to Markov.

The 2 top D should be driving two pairings offensively, and not playing together.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Seems to me the main problem with the habs at the moment is the defensive pairings. Markov and Subban bring offence and occasional risks (major risks for Markov lately) with OK but not impressive physical play and pretty good defence. On the power play that's fine, but wouldn't it be better to split them at even strength? The habs just don't score with any other pairings right now.

On the flip side Murray needs a high end partner so he can just hit (like Komisarek) and not a guy like Bouillon. He might be able to contribute if the other team had to cover his partner.

Probably wouldn't be an issue if Therrien didn't think Bouillon was a really good 3rd d-man. Or if he weren't trying to give the credit for Subban's game to Markov.

The 2 top D should be driving two pairings offensively, and not playing together.

Bouillon is 5th for Ice time (per game) on the Habs, so... where did you get this idea ? ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
MB doesnt sack Therrien, at least not this season. Im more concern about our roster, we lack goal scorers and DD is dead weight with his humongous ice time. We need quality players and badly.

We have Plek-MaxPac-Gally-Galla-Eller-Gionta-Bourque-Briere-DD, I mean fine, it's not an all-star group, but there's no reason for us to not be able to score goals.
We had the same roster last year except Ryder instead of Briere, and we had no issues scoring. Matter of fact, our depth was our strength last season.
Replacing Ryder with Briere was dumb and gave us less flexibility. I'm not sure what Bergevin was thinking in getting Briere, really, he was such a horrible fit it makes no sense for him to have been targeted. Still, Therrien should have used him as a center right away. Instead he was put on the wing next to another midget meaning MaxPac was relied upon to win all board battles because the smurfs can't do it. Not surprisingly, that didn't really work. Asking DB to start playing winger on that line was dumb, then he gets concussed, again, surprise surprise..Now he seems to be in the dog house.
I was saying throughout camp, Therrien should have been trying different line combinations to see what could work.
Briere wasn't used as a center, neither was Galchenyuk, DD-MaxPac were together seeing how they're siamese twins, Therrien stuck with the exact same pairs.
He gave them a few games here and there, while letting the kids do their thing. Now all but one kid was kept, so ya, that's a waste of camp for me.

Anyways, there's no reason for us to be struggling to score so much.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
and how is Capt Kirk doing right now ?

he sure aint the Canes "savior"...

He has his team 2 points behind us with game in hand.. we have better goalie and he 'gets' Montreal. To me if we have an opening and he is available I extend the hand. From all Ive heard he has a great rapport with the players and was it just a coincedence we slide backwards after he left??

Enough has been said so I will not go into the french thing--to me ITS JUST WIN BABY to quote a famous saying.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST

With #74 back Markov will be better at pinching. He knows Emelin will have his back. Now PK will get Gorges and same thing. This will help our Dmen; as long as MT goes with what was successful in past

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
and i also believe he was the most competent coach we've had in 20+ years.

but at the time, everybody here wanted him fired, some because they thought you could get a better coach elsewhere, but got therrien so joke's on them i guess, but most wanted him gone because SOOOOOO BOOOORING :shakehead

therrien's team fell apart without emelin. martin had to do without markov one year, and without gorges and markov the other

but SOOOOOOO BOOOORING

Without Markov and Gorges, Emelin wasn't here yet, he had to do it with guys like Spacek, Sopel, Mara, Picard, with MaxPac playing 35ish games. He managed to make us finished 6th, I don't think people realize how remarkable that was.
He managed to get the best out of our guys and knew when to use youngsters more, or not.

I'm not sure why Gauthier fired him. Not sure where that came from. But Martin was a good coach. People can criticize him about his PO record, but you don't get to coach 1000 NHL games if you don't know what you're doing.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Bouillon is 5th for Ice time (per game) on the Habs, so... where did you get this idea ? ?

It is very subjective, he's just noticeable when he's out there one the power play or in the last 5 minutes of a close game. The total minutes aren't that high but he's out there for the key times.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I, too, always liked Laviolette.
Crawford fits for the french speaking factor but not being so french that he'd love DD and Bouillon to Therrien levels.
Boucher was good with Hamilton and TB.. 1-3-1 aside, he got a terribly flawed hockey team to the conference finals and 2 goals away from the Stanley Cup Finals. Not afraid to play young players and is noted for developing them.

Subban with 35 mins a game :naughty: :sarcasm:

Personally, I think the team is already tuning out Therrien. Their last few efforts have just been terrible. This thread is making me miss Martin too. Boring hockey, but at least we were winning.

Moving forward, if a change did happen this year, Laviolette or Boucher would be the guy I want. I think both could be good for this team.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Give Marc Denis a call. I'm sure RDS would trade him for a french guy who has no clue what he's doing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Barring a real crazy losing streak he's not going anywhere this year.

That being said, I've lost patience with him. He isn't learning from his mistakes and I'm sick of it. Enough already with DD and Bouillion. Enough with the treatment of PK. Put lines together that make sense and keep them that way...

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
You guys expect the guy to paint a Picasso with the crayolas he's been handed?

No but could we at least get a Jackson Pollock? From what I've been told there's some method to his madness (even if I don't see it) which is more than you can say about MT.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Subban with 35 mins a game :naughty: :sarcasm:

Personally, I think the team is already tuning out Therrien. Their last few efforts have just been terrible. This thread is making me miss Martin too. Boring hockey, but at least we were winning.

Moving forward, if a change did happen this year, Laviolette or Boucher would be the guy I want. I think both could be good for this team.

I see the clips on 24CH and it's no doubt the players tune him out. He's an awful motivator and his speeches are pretty much sound bites of lame boring player interviews during intermission.
"Strong on puck."
"Play sound defensively."
"Play as a team."
"Respekt your opponent."

Also, I'd punch Gorges in the face. "LET'S GO WHITE!!" "LET'S GO GET IT RED!!". Do you even know what team you're on? Moron.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Barring a real crazy losing streak he's not going anywhere this year.

That being said, I've lost patience with him. He isn't learning from his mistakes and I'm sick of it. Enough already with DD and Bouillion. Enough with the treatment of PK. Put lines together that make sense and keep them that way...

I'm just waiting for the 2 year extension for MT to be announced sometime later this season. We all know it's coming along with the "we think Michel as done a great job for us and we're excited to have him back for another 2 years" speech from MB.. :nod:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I see the clips on 24CH and it's no doubt the players tune him out. He's an awful motivator and his speeches are pretty much sound bites of lame boring player interviews during intermission.
"Strong on puck."
"Play sound defensively."
"Play as a team."
"Respekt your opponent."

Also, I'd punch Gorges in the face. "LET'S GO WHITE!!" "LET'S GO GET IT RED!!". Do you even know what team you're on? Moron.

GsAEF.gif

Avengers*

Fire therrien and desharnais. guy boucher will be a step up. no wonder nobody hired michel therrien for almost 5 years...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
He has his team 2 points behind us with game in hand.. we have better goalie and he 'gets' Montreal. To me if we have an opening and he is available I extend the hand. From all Ive heard he has a great rapport with the players and was it just a coincedence we slide backwards after he left??

Enough has been said so I will not go into the french thing--to me ITS JUST WIN BABY to quote a famous saying.

So we swap a mediocre coach named Therrien for another mediocre coach named Muller.

No thanks. I grow tired of Montreal bringing in middle of the road coaches.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'm sure that Therrien was the best choice for a French speaking coach at the time, but that time will have passed by at the end of this season. The Habs will draft in the top ten and announce the hiring of Laviolette, Peter as their new coach. Laviolette and Boucher are both good players coaches, meaning they have good relationships with their players.

This trait will endear PK Subban to playing his absolute best, their will be a team first mentality pervasive in the Habs dressing room and on the ice. Laviolette is my choice mostly due to his previous experience, Boucher has had success but I believe in the long term it wanes.

Laviolette can mold the team for Bergevin into a playoff contender, at which point the Habs need Jean-Francois Houle to lead the Habs to the Stanley Cup Championship. Houle appears to be the next great French-Canadian coach to come out of the QMJHL and lead the Habs for the future, you're welcome to say you heard it here first.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad