If there is a Canadian division, predict standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Yes you’re right. How dare people not predict the leafs to win a division. That they didn’t have the most points in last year.

Why people don't bow down to the Centre of the Universe is beyond me? We are your OverLords after all. So in the future we would appreciate you just give us the respect we are entitled to rather than having us come back and rub your noses all in it.

Reactions: zeke

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
It's the only real way to criticize the Leafs at this point in time.

Their offence has been good enough (if a little top-heavy) and their team defence has been much better in a division that is being accused of being too offensively focused.

So basically you can only criticize them for not being able to play certain teams which they have no control over or for some hypothetical loss in the future in the playoffs which is months away.

If you're a Leaf-hater, I'm not sure why it bugs you so much anyway. The bigger the rise, the larger the fall. If you are convinced that they are a paper tiger, when it is proven in the post-season, you can gloat all you want.

Criticism right now just seems childish and foolish.

This post is bang on. Anti Leafers love coming in here and discrediting the Leafs in every hypothetical, convoluted, fantasy scenario they can think of.

My question is why?

If you truly believe the Leafs are destined to slip out of 1st place or collapse in the playoffs, then wait until such a time and laugh then. Why look like a whiny sour grapes today?

Anti Leafers always get the last laugh. Always. So if you truly believe the Leafs suck, then wait until such time and laugh then.

I actually think its psychological with anti Leafers and it just in their DNA to whine and discredit them 365 days a year regardless.

Reactions: Dustin

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This post is bang on. Anti Leafers love coming in here and discrediting the Leafs in every hypothetical, convoluted, fantasy scenario they can think of.

My question is why?

I think there's a tendency for the Toronto and so-called national media to get a little carried away.

Case in point: I remember when the Blue Jays acquired a bunch of names in the off-season, and the ESPN baseball expert was asked on TV if Toronto was the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL despite not having played a game yet.

Sometimes I feel like they're trying too hard to make it happen before it actually happens.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Oh boy this thread is J U I C Y.

People sleeping on Winnipeg IMO. They added Stastny to a very, very good group of forwards. D are bad, but Hellebucyk is awesome and it's not like the D in the division will be anything to write home about.

1. Leafs
2. Jets
3. Edmonton
4. Calgary
5. Vancouver
6. Habs
7. Sens

I expect it all to be pretty close. Sens are clearly last, but they easily improved the most out of any of the Canadian teams.

Looks like I underrated the Habs additions too much. Anderson in particular has been an extremely good surprise for them so far. Bergevin did a good job in the offseason, which I cannot believe I just typed. Hard to see where they finish right now though, whether they can right the ship or continue to slide. I sure as hell didn't think they'd be the first team to fire the coach. They're better than the 24th place team they were last year, expectations just got a little out of control after the first 10 games and beating up the Canucks.

I'm still surprised to see Calgary imploding as hard as they are. That roster is a lot better than those results. I was expecting them to be right in the mix with Edmonton and Winnipeg for the 2-4 spots. Vancouver's implosion is a little less surprising, but again it's surprising to see just how bad they've struggled. These two teams having such a hard time are probably why people are dumping on the division so hard. If either or both were competitive it would be one of the better divisions.

And of course I didn't expect the Leafs to run away with it like this. I know I was being cagey with my predictions, considering how disappointing last season was and how much they struggled at times.

Can't wait to see the thread again on April 3rd and see how it's going.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think there's a tendency for the Toronto and so-called national media to get a little carried away.

Case in point: I remember when the Blue Jays acquired a bunch of names in the off-season, and the ESPN baseball expert was asked on TV if Toronto was the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL despite not having played a game yet.

Sometimes I feel like they're trying too hard to make it happen before it actually happens.

Tell me which Canadian team doesn't get sucked off by the talking heads.

How were TSN/Sportsnet talking about Vancouver during the bubble? Even though they were getting outshot 50-1 by the Knights.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Not every Canadian team has their daily practices covered on SportsCentre.

It's as much about the frequency as it is the unbridled enthusiasm.

If you think leafs fans want the 24/7 coverage, then I don't know what to tell you. Especially since a lot of it does tend to be negative.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you think leafs fans want the 24/7 coverage, then I don't know what to tell you. Especially since a lot of it does tend to be negative.

Whether they want it or not, it's there, and it explains why some people get annoyed, that's all.

A Leaf fan asked "Why is this happening?" and I tried to provide an explanation.

Feel free to disagree, it's why we're here.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Not every Canadian team has their daily practices covered on SportsCentre.

It's as much about the frequency as it is the unbridled enthusiasm.

Leafs get by far more criticism than any Canadian team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Whether they want it or not, it's there, and it explains why some people get annoyed, that's all.

A Leaf fan asked "Why is this happening?" and I tried to provide an explanation.

Feel free to disagree, it's why we're here.

I'm telling you it makes no sense because the coverage is usually negative.

I also think it's illogical and petty and it's a pathetic look to whine the way non-leafs whine about coverage. Feel free to disagree.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Leafs get by far more criticism than any Canadian team.

I think we just need to accept it and embrace it. It's getting exhausting arguing against it.

Every league needs a villain - often, just like in this case, it's almost purely fantasy. Reality is that most Leaf fans are essentially equal to other Canadian fanbases in terms of loyalty, demographics, etc.

It is what it is. People are going to hivemind, it's not a flaw in a person but rather our biology. It's nice to get reinforcement from arguing with Leaf fans, especially on a site like this with the Pavlov's response-enducing "likes" and notification system.

Just accept it, man. It's a different standard, and everyone involved knows that it's built on fantasy (a different kind of fantasy than what you will find in an Oiler's GDT).

I am just going to enjoy watching a very entertaining and skilled team. Sure, we might not defensively choke the league out, and that could cost us...so be it. I am having fun watching them play.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The anti-leafs brigade is spearheaded by notable morons like Jack Todd, Andrew Walker, Grant Mccagg etc etc.

You gotta wonder about all the people on this board who sound like low rent versions of those idiots. Yeah, low rent versions of Jack Todd.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
OP in another thread the other day claimed that Rielly is the Leafs only proven top 4 D :laugh:

I'm sure the Oiler would look much better if they had Muzzin and Brodie in their top 4.
You obviously can't read cause I never said that. I said Nurse is Edmonton's only legit top 4 guy right now. My gripe has never been with the Leafs in general. Moreso with the attitude that it's been a forgone conclusion that the entire North division is terrible and the only good team is the Leafs. Yes, over the last 20 games it's been true, and it's also true that the Leafs are the only team who haven't struggled yet. Is it possible they go all season without losing back to back games, or 3 of 4 somewhere? Entirely. Obviously I think it will happen at some point, which is why I don't think it's super crazy to suggest that there's still a chance someone could catch them with so many games left to play. Is it an outside chance? Sure. But it's still entirely a possibility. If people don't think that's possible at all that's fine, but let's stop pretending one of these things is impossible and the other isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dache

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Don't get the Montreal hype AT ALL. Or Toronto tbh and I'll back that up with facts. That being said Toronto should stay in the playoffs if it's say 4/7.

Montreal had 1 more win then the Sabres last year, and played 2 more games, they were worse then Buffalo in regulation, also not sure how good Toronto is, they had just 6 more wins then Buffalo and have replaced Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Jonson, Tyson Barrie, Tyler Ennis, with a 60 yr old Thornton, Vesey (who is absolute JUNK) Simmonds, who might be decent for grit-depth but also past his better days, TJ Brodie (Solid but really the top pair guy they need to be a contender? Especially with Muzzin-Holl as your 2nd unit. Oh yea they ADDED DELL for the third goalie spot and have Micheyev in their top six. I'll reference my team again since their the punching bag, he and maybe even Hyman (if he doesen't have Matthews) woudn't crack Buffalo's top 6 which is strange consdiering the Leafs are known for offense)... Also Tavares, Anderson are both a year older ala Price-Weber. The Habs also gained Josh Anderson and Toffoli replacing them with Domi. Oh yeah adding also other depth pieces like Edmundson and Allen who can both be solid but lets be honest here, the Blues were Never a good team because of those guys. You could make an argument Allen held back GOOD-Great Blues teams actually...

That being said Montreal does have a lot of good youth, and Leafs do seem more well rounded (You can at least SEE what the GM's are trying to do) Whether either team is significantly better, I have my doubts.

I fully believe the Oilers will be better with McDrai closer to prime, especially if used on 2 lines and I like their back end more then before. The Jets are an unknown to me in the middle sort of like Vancouver so I would put the Habs and Leafs in this pack, since the Jets COULD hyptothetically bounce back with Stastny and that goaltending with top forward names but the D has missed steps. That's why I say unknown, and Couver lost Toffoli and a guy who finished top 12 in Hart Trophy voting in net (and high in vezina voting) I get Demko could be ready and looked great in the playoffs stealing Games 5 and 6, but you could make both the it was one year, and the they lost a lot argument, OR you could say their young core will get better which again is why I feel both will be in that middle pack. I understand they added Holtby who may be the perfect 50/50 guy for Demko if not all the way there but I also saw Brayden;s game in recent years drop pretty low on a top team so we'll have to see how this goes.

Then Ottawa who has good pieces but should be the worst.

SO I would go Alberta Teams, gun to my head Calgary?

and one of middle pack for top 3

The Middle Pack in any order really.

Ottawa

Would like to add I am mainly pointing out differences and things that may have people talking about how it improves these teams, where as I see it as, is this REALLY improving the team, or is it an excited fanbase (IT's Canadian Markets afterall) Ovely optimistic about the off-season moves with the ANything can happen in a new year mentality.

LOL, just realizing every teams fanbase will likely hate this post because the 2 teams I put at the top (praising) both hate the other so even they would be mad. Oh well.
Yes

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Tell me which Canadian team doesn't get sucked off by the talking heads.

How were TSN/Sportsnet talking about Vancouver during the bubble? Even though they were getting outshot 50-1 by the Knights.

Vancouver's probably not the best example. Everyone seems to just love the Jim Benning Canucks, but it was a very different experience 10 years ago when we were actually, you know, good.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not predict them to win, but the perception of the divisions competitiveness. They went from being a middle of the pack, to worst team in the division to, "North is the worst division, it means nothing" I saw almost no arguments suggesting its a garbage division and it would be an easy path for team X. Just funny to look at in hindsight.
Not predict them to win? That’s exactly one of the things you had an issue with? Why are you changing the narrative?
Notice how almost nobody suggested it's a weak division. How most people don't have Toronto at the top, at how many people suggested they'd miss the playoffs. lmfao how the narrative changes, this was hilarious to read through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad