If there is a Canadian division, predict standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Why people don't bow down to the Centre of the Universe is beyond me? We are your OverLords after all. So in the future we would appreciate you just give us the respect we are entitled to rather than having us come back and rub your noses all in it.
My nose? What are you talking about?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Not predict them to win? That’s exactly one of the things you had an issue with? Why are you changing the narrative?

I don't have an issue with it, I find it hilarious which is why I brought it up. The narrative in here went from, they are a bottom-middle of the North division team, pre-season to now all of a sudden, the North is the worst division known to mankind, leafs are lucky to be in that division, that is the only cause of their success. That's the narrative I was talking about, pre-season nobody suggested that this is as terrible of a division as people claim it is now. Only thing that changed is Toronto has been dominating it. slick way to try and manipulate my comment though, I'll give you an A+ for that.

Pre-season, its a normal division, leafs will suck

Quarter-ish way into the season, the worst division ever ! only reason the leafs are in 1st ! bad division !

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Now I know Leafs fans aren't the most liked people in the world(lol) but it's funny to see how much people go out of their way to hate this team because of the fans/media etc.

In any other market this would be considered one of the best teams to watch etc

They're doing so much good with the game, I.E taking it more towards speed and skill, analytics and breaking away from the primitive old-boys club.

But because it's the Leafs, people can't respect any of that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't have an issue with it, I find it hilarious which is why I brought it up. The narrative in here went from, they are a bottom-middle of the North division team, pre-season to now all of a sudden, the North is the worst division known to mankind, leafs are lucky to be in that division, that is the only cause of their success. That's the narrative I was talking about, pre-season nobody suggested that this is as terrible of a division as people claim it is now. Only thing that changed is Toronto has been dominating it. slick way to try and manipulate my comment though, I'll give you an A+ for that.

Pre-season, its a normal division, leafs will suck

Quarter-ish way into the season, the worst division ever ! only reason the leafs are in 1st ! bad division !

I didn't bother to read after the first page, but on the first page I counted 14 posts predicting the Leafs to be top 3 in the conference, with only 3 predicting the Leafs to be outside the top 3. One poster posted "joke" standings where he seemed to invert finishes since he had Ottawa first.

So I'm not sure where you're basing the idea the narrative is HF thought the Leafs were bottom-middle of the North from, unless every subsequent page of this thread was literally the polar opposite of what the first page was.

Reactions: rubikscube

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I didn't bother to read after the first page, but on the first page I counted 14 posts predicting the Leafs to be top 3 in the conference, with only 3 predicting the Leafs to be outside the top 3. One poster posted "joke" standings where he seemed to invert finishes since he had Ottawa first.

So I'm not sure where you're basing the idea the narrative is HF thought the Leafs were bottom-middle of the North from, unless every subsequent page of this thread was literally the polar opposite of what the first page was.

All the other pages after the 1st one

And the 1st page has 5 posts with the leafs in 6/7

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Why people don't bow down to the Centre of the Universe is beyond me? We are your OverLords after all. So in the future we would appreciate you just give us the respect we are entitled to rather than having us come back and rub your noses all in it.
... until the playoffs when the tables turn. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
All the other pages after the 1st one

And the 1st page has 5 posts with the leafs in 6/7

The second page, I counted 8-3 in favor of the Leafs being top 3 versus outside that range. One guy I didn't bother counting because he listed the Leafs in 7th and relegated to the CHL or whatever. But if you want to add him to the "negative pile" that's still 8-4 in favor of the Leafs being ranked as a top 3 team.

Granted, I didn't read the posts that were mainly discussion based and simply scanned the posts that only ranked the 7 teams. But that's the two first pages where the vast majority have the Leafs in the top 3.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The second page, I counted 8-3 in favor of the Leafs being top 3 versus outside that range. One guy I didn't bother counting because he listed the Leafs in 7th and relegated to the CHL or whatever. But if you want to add him to the "negative pile" that's still 8-4 in favor of the Leafs being ranked as a top 3 team.

Granted, I didn't read the posts that were mainly discussion based and simply scanned the posts that only ranked the 7 teams. But that's the two first pages where the vast majority have the Leafs in the top 3.
1. Jets
2. Canucks
3. Oilers
4. Flames

5. Canadiens
6. Maple Leafs
7. Senators

Winnepeg
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary/Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa

1)Sens
2)Habs
3)Flames
4)Canucks

5)Jets
6)Oilers
7)Leafs

1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. Winnipeg
4. Calgary
- - - - - -
5. Edmonton
6. Toronto
7. Ottawa

Nonetheless will be so much fun to watch.

Playoff Teams
1) Edmonton
2) Calgary
3) Vancouver
4) Winnipeg

-----

Missed
5) Montreal
6) Ottawa

------

Relegated to CHL
7) Toronto

Edmonton
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver
Wpg
Toronto
Ottawa

Edmonton
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Calgary
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Edmonton
Montreal
Winnipeg
Toronto
Vancouver
Ottawa

Edmonton
Vancouver

Calgary
Winnipeg
Toronto
Montreal

Ottawa

1. Montreal
2. don't care
3. don't care
4. don't care
5. don't care
6. don't care
7. Toronto

Oilers
Canucks
Habs
Sens
Leafs
Jets

I think the Sens take a step in the right direction this season and everyone from 2-5 are relatively close.

Why wishful thinking for the Oilers, they were the best canadian team last season and upgraded their roster more than any team this past off season.

1. Edmonton
2. Vancouver
3. Calgary
4. Winnipeg
5. Toronto
6. Ottawa
7. Montreal

Ignore the leaf fans, cause there's a lot of us homer, I'm talking about the "neutral" fans, there's some pretty hilarious takes

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ignore the leaf fans, cause there's a lot of us homer, I'm talking about the "neutral" fans, there's some pretty hilarious takes

If you're going to ignore the Leaf fans ratings, you can't then list the ones that are clearly just joking or trolling. The guy who listed a reverse order with the Sens in first, for instance, isn't trying to be objective. Nor is the guy who listed Montreal first then a bunch of blah blah until the Leafs at 7th.

Among the ratings where people actually seemed to be serious and put a bit of thought into it, the majority still lean toward the Leafs being top 3 rather than middle or bottom.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Leaf fans are about to make me quit these boards I swear. They just view it as one of the fan who insults their team and part of the one laughing at them for not winning a cup in over fifty years. I'll personally say the Jets suck if they truly did suck, but right now they're just a good team.

One time a Leaf fan told me that Fredrik Anderson was the best goalie in the league and was biased for saying Hellebuyck was after winning a freaking Vezina! And this will be the only time I use Vezina and Pavelec in the same sentence because never once did I say Pavelec deserved a Vezinawhen he was straight trash.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you're going to ignore the Leaf fans ratings, you can't then list the ones that are clearly just joking or trolling. The guy who listed a reverse order with the Sens in first, for instance, isn't trying to be objective. Nor is the guy who listed Montreal first then a bunch of blah blah until the Leafs at 7th.

Among the ratings where people actually seemed to be serious and put a bit of thought into it, the majority still lean toward the Leafs being top 3 rather than middle or bottom.

Or we just didn't want to "kiss the ring" of the Eastern Canadian hype machine until the Leafs were legitimately the top team.

In all seriousness, the Leafs have been the class of the division. I've watched a lot of their games and not just when they play the Oilers, and they're a legit team.

They play with much tighter defensive structure and cohesion in their own zone. This year their forwards have done a really good job tracking the puck and clogging lanes on the backcheck. Likewise their D men and team structure as a whole have done a good job forcing teams into perimeter play when they're in the defensive zone.

I mentioned this in the trade thread regarding Nashville on the the trade subforum, the Leafs should go all in this year and try to nab Ekholm even if they give up picks/top prospect to do so. Having Rielly, Ekholm, and Muzzin down the left side is a SCF calibre left side defensively. This is the year for them to really go for it, they have a pretty clear lane to a Conference final here provided there aren't any major upsets in the North playoffs.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The most interesting thing about this thread is is the lack of criticisms about this division that is bandied about all the time now. No one spoke about this division as if all the teams were AHL caliber or that they were all terrible defensively. Also didn’t see these criticisms when the Habs were off to a hot start and this thread was bumped. Also funny that their staunch defence doesn’t exist anymore either.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
disrespected? shocking? really?

Its called personal opinion and for the most part a guessing game. Considering this thread was created back in November its really a toss up between teams. Leafs have 'shockingly' pulled away now but for the rest it is still a toss up where they end in standings. EDM can easily slip out of playoffs race and OTT can make a legit push for a spot.

I see a battle of alberta for the final playoffs spot with Jets and TML finishing at the top. I am sure no Jets fan would feel disrespected even if some here predict they dont make the playoffs. shit can happen.

Actually anyone that predicted the Leafs were not a PO team were either deluding themselves or were just trying to piss off Leaf fans. I saw them in the top 2 in the division for sure.

As a Jet fan I fully expected the Jets to be a PO team but I understood why so many fans that don't watch the Jets everyday would not think they were.

What I didn't understand was how many fans thought the Habs were anything other then a bubble team. Then they started the season like gang busters ands I started to think oh this is why but can it last? looks like it didn't.

Oilers and Flames are both Jekyll and Hyde teams, on any given night you never really know which team will show up. I figured if one of these team showed some kind of consistency in playing through the season they can fight for top spot. Looks like the Oilers are that team so far.

Wasn't sold on the Canuck especially after the off season but would not of been surprised if they made the PO's.

Ottawa is where I thought they would be

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Leaf fans are about to make me quit these boards I swear. They just view it as one of the fan who insults their team and part of the one laughing at them for not winning a cup in over fifty years. I'll personally say the Jets suck if they truly did suck, but right now they're just a good team.

One time a Leaf fan told me that Fredrik Anderson was the best goalie in the league and was biased for saying Hellebuyck was after winning a freaking Vezina! And this will be the only time I use Vezina and Pavelec in the same sentence because never once did I say Pavelec deserved a Vezinawhen he was straight trash.
Do it. :thumbu:

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
The most interesting thing about this thread is is the lack of criticisms about this division that is bandied about all the time now. No one spoke about this division as if all the teams were AHL caliber or that they were all terrible defensively. Also didn’t see these criticisms when the Habs were off to a hot start and this thread was bumped. Also funny that their staunch defence doesn’t exist anymore either.

So your claiming that no one said that the north was a a bad division before the leafs where on top, and that when habs fan made threads about how great the team was there was no push back or people telling us to calm down its only 10 games in...

Is that what you claim?

Cause if thats what you claim you must live under a rock, because even most leafs fan knew that the north was going to be trash

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So your claiming that no one said that the north was a a bad division before the leafs where on top, and that when habs fan made threads about how great the team was there was no push back or people telling us to calm down its only 10 games in...

Is that what you claim?

Cause if thats what you claim you must live under a rock, because even most leafs fan knew that the north was going to be trash

No. I’m saying that the North wasn’t seen as a complete joke with nothing but bad teams for Toronto to beat on. You look back at the “Rank the Divisions” thread and the North fluctuated a lot between 2nd-4th, and it certainly wasn’t a prevalent talking point back then either.

I’m not saying there wasn’t push back to the Habs start, I’m saying people weren’t sewering the North then as much as they are now.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
No. I’m saying that the North wasn’t seen as a complete joke with nothing but bad teams for Toronto to beat on. You look back at the “Rank the Divisions” thread and the North fluctuated a lot between 2nd-4th, and it certainly wasn’t a prevalent talking point back then either.

I’m not saying there wasn’t push back to the Habs start, I’m saying people weren’t sewering the North then as much as they are now.

I dont know what to say, but yea go look around hfboards even before the season started most fans and pundits where not sold on the north, there was too many what ifs.

Just don't take it personally when people say dumb shit to rile your fan base, im a habs fan, i have had to learn that the hard way.

Remember when washington was winning all those president trophies and never making it far in the playoffs, yea people made fun of them, rememeber when tampa lost to columbus in the 1st round, yea people made fun of them, they stopped getting made fun off when they won the cup, its part of being a fan i guess.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Did you nail all 7 teams and where they're currently sitting with your rankings?
I don't think I posted one (and not sure how you arrived at that by what I said), but nothing all that surprising has happened. There were certainly some obvious things that were missed by many due to bias or bad methodology.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
My original prediction:

Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Montreal
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Ottawa

Can still come to pass with lots of hockey to be played but Calgarys gonna have to learn to score for it to come to fruition.

Remember only 40% of the season is done folks.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think I posted one (and not sure how you arrived at that by what I said), but nothing all that surprising has happened. There were certainly some obvious things that were missed by many due to bias or bad methodology.
Right. Easier to crap on people that didn’t pick your team to be first 20 games into the season that to have made your own prediction and risk being wrong. Makes sense

Reactions: MardyBum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad