If there is a Canadian division, predict standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nothing about what the Leafs have done is shocking. They were the best team in the North prior to the season, and have continuted to be the best team all year.

For the record, I don't think any level headed fans disrespected the Leafs, but I do think many people over sold teams like Montreal, or were just straight up trolls putting the Leafs further down just to get a reaction.
I just skimmed through the first couple pages and for the most part Leafs were listed near the top if not at the top.
Anything can happen in NHL. There arent many North teams that havent lost to most other teams Leafs included. Every game is a crapshoot and every team has weaknesses. Leafs werent this solid defensively last year and are getting great goaltending from 2nd and 3rd string goalies. Jets seem to be the most complete team now. CGY is underperforming and could have easily been in the top tier considering goaltending upgrade. Even EDM was in a position to challenge for the top spot a week ago.

Reactions: GOilers88

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Looks like Romanov is a way better player than Lehtonen. Too bad you didn't pump Holl, he is the biggest revelation for Toronto.

Toronto is still first but looks like most people who know what they are talking about predicted that. The best team by far on paper is the best team after all.

But not a lot of people predict how good this d will be and like i said, leafs d is better than habs d group.

and yes romanov look better than lehtonen but find me one d on habs depht who can challenge romanov? Kulak? Mete? Fleury? Put romanov on leafs roster and hes out of the line up. So its pretty hard to evaluate a player who don't have any ice time.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
I sure hpe not. For me 3 years is about as far back as cup bragging can go. There is normally so much turnover in 3 years that teams have very little that remains outside of some core guys.
Just bring the cup home.... Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal....even Calgary. Stanley belongs in Canada.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I just skimmed through the first couple pages and for the most part Leafs were listed near the top if not at the top.
Anything can happen in NHL. There arent many North teams that havent lost to most other teams Leafs included. Every game is a crapshoot and every team has weaknesses. Leafs werent this solid defensively last year and are getting great goaltending from 2nd and 3rd string goalies. Jets seem to be the most complete team now. CGY is underperforming and could have easily been in the top tier considering goaltending upgrade. Even EDM was in a position to challenge for the top spot a week ago.

Thats what I said, some people either were just trolling (having the leafs near the bottom), or oversold their own team. Most had them near the top.

Correct, the Leafs had worse defence last year, but when you trade out Barrie, Marincin and Ceci for Brodie, Bogo and Lethonen your D will get better. They have also been playing a MUCH better team defence game. Campbell has always been a strong backup, but Hutchison has been a pleasent surprise.

Jets should finish in 2nd with little issue, agreed. Calgary has under performed, but I don't think they should be in the top spot conversation.

Edmonton was down a handful of points while playing more games, thats not challeneging, thats a scheduling quirk.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
1. Edmonton/Vancouver
2. Calgary/Toronto/Winnipeg

3. Montreal
4. Ottawa

I’m fairly confident on the bottom two but the top five will all be close imo.

I'm fairly confident of the top of this prediction too. Fantastic picks bro, Jim Benning is an elite GM.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Thats what I said, some people either were just trolling (having the leafs near the bottom), or oversold their own team. Most had them near the top.

Correct, the Leafs had worse defence last year, but when you trade out Barrie, Marincin and Ceci for Brodie, Bogo and Lethonen your D will get better. They have also been playing a MUCH better team defence game. Campbell has always been a strong backup, but Hutchison has been a pleasent surprise.

Jets should finish in 2nd with little issue, agreed. Calgary has under performed, but I don't think they should be in the top spot conversation.

Edmonton was down a handful of points while playing more games, thats not challeneging, thats a scheduling quirk.
A handful of points that could have been covered in a span of 4 days. But yeah, there was nobody close to challenging. Yeah they're the cream of the division but everyone acting like it was no contest is being just as much as troll as those they're calling trolls for thinking someone could challenge them.

Lmao. Heads firmly up asses all over the place.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
A handful of points that could have been covered in a span of 4 days. But yeah, there was nobody close to challenging.

Lmao.

It isn't, if they could have won a game or 2 that would be challeneging, instead they lost in spectacular fashion to a backup and a 3rd stringer with our best player out. The Jets were and still are in a better position to challenge the Leafs, and are the only team most Leaf fans worry about.

TL;DR: Playing more games and having less points is not challenging.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
honestly, at this point the biggest surprise to me might be Ottawa.

yes they're in 7th place as most predicted, but they were painted as an AHL level team that was going to be lucky to win any games. they've hung in there and won their share of points given the talent level they have.

granted, we're not even at the halfway mark yet. but they way things stand now it won't take much of a letdown from one of the 3 teams right in front of them to break out of last place.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
honestly, at this point the biggest surprise to me might be Ottawa.

yes they're in 7th place as most predicted, but they were painted as an AHL level team that was going to be lucky to win any games. they've hung in there and won their share of points given the talent level they have.

granted, we're not even at the halfway mark yet. but they way things stand now it won't take much of a letdown from one of the 3 teams right in front of them to break out of last place.
Ottawa has a damn good future. As long as ownership spends.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It isn't, if they could have won a game or 2 that would be challeneging, instead they lost in spectacular fashion to a backup and a 3rd stringer with our best player out. The Jets were and still are in a better position to challenge the Leafs, and are the only team most Leaf fans worry about.

TL;DR: Playing more games and having less points is not challenging.
Yeah, being a few games back with half a season isn't in a position to challenge at all.

Lolz.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
When the Habs were first we heard nothing about it. The North has way too much elite talent to be getting this crap.
Oh come on. The weak defense thing was right at the beginning of the season. Not everything is a leaf hate thing.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It's almost like changing the narrative when it doesn't fit your agenda is easy.
Yes you’re right. How dare people not predict the leafs to win a division. That they didn’t have the most points in last year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stolen from my post on the Sens board before the season started:

---------------------------------------------

I found it hard to do this because so many teams had a good season and then fell off over the last 2-3 years. Very little consistency among most of the teams.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs

While they have question marks, I think they have the least in the division.

2. Edmonton Oilers

Where is the depth? How is the defence? But I think their top guns can feast on the defences in this division.

3. Vancouver Canucks

Lost some key personnel but I like their top end talent and they have some good workhorses.

4. Calgary Flames

Just seems like a bit of a clunky team. They have skill but it's unreliable. They have defence but it's old. Markstrom could help.

5. Montreal Canadiens

I just don't see it. They aren't the 2007 Buffalo Sabres. I think a lot of the guys they picked up are spare parts. I think Suzuki is the real deal but unsure about KK.

6. Winnipeg Jets

The Laine thing could overshadow everything.

7. Ottawa Senators

We may start off well but will fall off by the end to the bottom.

Note: Obviously Vancouver and Winnipeg were the two I am most surprised about in retrospect.

In Winnipeg's case, I was pretty down on their D but their offence and goaltender have more than made up for the lack of star power listed.

In Vancouver's case, I guess I underestimated the impact of some of the personnel changes.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes you’re right. How dare people not predict the leafs to win a division. That they didn’t have the most points in last year.

Not predict them to win, but the perception of the divisions competitiveness. They went from being a middle of the pack, to worst team in the division to, "North is the worst division, it means nothing" I saw almost no arguments suggesting its a garbage division and it would be an easy path for team X. Just funny to look at in hindsight.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not predict them to win, but the perception of the divisions competitiveness. They went from being a middle of the pack, to worst team in the division to, "North is the worst division, it means nothing" I saw almost no arguments suggesting its a garbage division and it would be an easy path for team X. Just funny to look at in hindsight.

It's the only real way to criticize the Leafs at this point in time.

Their offence has been good enough (if a little top-heavy) and their team defence has been much better in a division that is being accused of being too offensively focused.

So basically you can only criticize them for not being able to play certain teams which they have no control over or for some hypothetical loss in the future in the playoffs which is months away.

If you're a Leaf-hater, I'm not sure why it bugs you so much anyway. The bigger the rise, the larger the fall. If you are convinced that they are a paper tiger, when it is proven in the post-season, you can gloat all you want.

Criticism right now just seems childish and foolish.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg
3. Edmonton
4. Vancouver
5. Calgary
6. Montreal
7. Ottawa

I just skimmed the whole thread and this guy is probably the closest of anyone to actually being correct.
That 4th spot is still a question mark though. Congratulations lol

HM: to @LeafGrief your post was up there too.

Free imaginary internet points for all!

Last edited:

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
A handful of points that could have been covered in a span of 4 days. But yeah, there was nobody close to challenging. Yeah they're the cream of the division but everyone acting like it was no contest is being just as much as troll as those they're calling trolls for thinking someone could challenge them.

Lmao. Heads firmly up asses all over the place.

That is now two games of PTSD for you with Leafs fans it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad