If the Top 100 players All-time list is redone today, where does McDavid's career place him?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He's barely in the top ten of the all-time Edmonton Oilers, right now.

He's not ahead of Kevin Lowe or Glenn Anderson or Messier, who have six Cups, or Esa Tikkanen, who has five. Gretzky, Fuhr, Kurri, Coffey, Chris Pronger, and Adam Oates are also ahead, due to their overall careers and individual accomplishments. All of these guys (except for Esa) are in the Hall of Fame.

Right now I'd say he's about top 30 all-time, if his career were to end today. There are too many great players ahead of him but he's already a future Hall-of-Famer with his two Harts (only 19 people have as many or more) and three Art Rosses (only 8 players have as many or more) but his story hasn't yet been written enough to determine his final standing as of yet.

That's wild. And dumb.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Any Oilers fan who was in at least diapers then (Gawd were you alive in 1991!) would choose Tikkanen.

Tikkanen had an important role on those Oiler teams and I love what he brought to the table but seriously Oiler fans, nor most fans anywhere are going to rate Esa better than McDavid by any important all time metric so far in their careers.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If you wanna talk regular season against the Panthers, Coyotes and the Wild. Ugh.

In contrast, Tikki is/was a playoff warrior. When the rubber hit the road, he tore it up!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you wanna talk regular season against the Panthers, Coyotes and the Wild. Ugh.

In contrast, Tikki is/was a playoff warrior. When the rubber hit the road, he tore it up!
McDavid has a 21-11-11-22 line in the playoffs so I think his regular season resume more than makes up the difference with Esa who played with a half dozen HHOFers in the playoffs were he tore it up.

Only Leon is realistically tracking for the HHOF from Connors team.

Look I love Esa but really he isn't even close to McDavid even if Connor never played another NHL game in his life.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Look I love Esa but really he isn't even close to McDavid even if Connor never played another NHL game in his life.
B.S.

Not even close? Based on career to date?

Which career do you draft?

4-time Selke finalist, 5-time Stanley Cup winner with 130+ playoff points and ****ing up the opposition on most shifts.

I would go to war with Tikkanen (the heart of a Dale Hunter, Claude Lemieux). There are few in the game today like him (Marchand).

Or...

less than 6 full seasons, only 22 career playoff points and one (1) playoff series win.

Would you seriously take the career to date of a regular season scorer over a two-way playoff monster with four times the career?

Last edited:

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Some really widely divergent opinions in here. I like a lot of the answers here. A hybrid of Lindros, Forsberg, Malkin, Apps, Dionne sounds about right. But where to rank him based on that? I think about 70th...?

With the uncertainty surrounding his playoffs, I was thinking the middle or above of this group: Lindros, Selanne, Thornton & Dionne... so 63, 69, 91 & 96... and I'd have most modern players higher than the HoH list... so instead of 60-80, probably more like 50-60. That might be a bit high if he retired tomorrow, more like if he was ~top 10 scorer for a few years, then declined... and was decent in playoffs, but not at all outstanding.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
B.S.

4-time Selke finalist, 5-time Stanley Cup winner with 130+ playoff points and ****ing up the opposition on most shifts.

I would go to war with Tikkanen (the heart of a Dale Hunter, Claude Lemieux). There are few in the game today like him (Marchand).

Or...

less than 6 full seasons, only 22 career playoff points and one (1) playoff series win.

Would you seriously take the career to date of a regular season scorer over a two-way playoff monster with four times the career?

In a word yes and let's not pretend that Esa was always a playoff monster here and didn't have way better support.

Maybe you can watch McDavid to see how he actually drove possession at an elite level last year and is this years playoffs, he just didn't get puck luck or team support.

He was involved in scoring 4 of 8 Oiler goals this year and 9 of 15 the year before I wonder what the highest % of Esa's career is?

Perhaps 90-91 when he was in on 20 of the 57 Oiler goals?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In a word yes and let's not pretend that Esa was always a playoff monster here and didn't have way better support.

Maybe you can watch McDavid to see how he actually drove possession at an elite level last year and is this years playoffs, he just didn't get puck luck or team support.

He was involved in scoring 4 of 8 Oiler goals this year and 9 of 15 the year before I wonder what the highest % of Esa's career is?

Perhaps 90-91 when he was in on 20 of the 57 Oiler goals?

Tikkanen had as many points (a hat-trick and an assist) alone in game seven against Calgary that year as McDavid had in all of playoffs this year (a goal and three assists).

This while being elite defensively whereas McDavid is... not.

Reactions: Dirt 101

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
B.S.

Or...

How do you draft a career?

Marchand is twice the player Tikkanen was.

If Edmonton doesn't draft Tikkanen (in the 4th round) and the LA Kings do, how memorable is his career?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tikkanen had as many points (a hat-trick and an assist) alone in game seven against Calgary that year as McDavid had in all of playoffs this year (a goal and three assists).

This while being elite defensively whereas McDavid is... not.

Tikkanen's five Cup winning seasons:

1985 - played 3 games, no points, -1

1987 - 21 games, 9 points, +1, tied for 8th in scoring for the Oilers with Randy Gregg, just behind Craig McTavish

1988 - 19 games, 27 points, +3, 4th in scoring and 10th in +/- for the Oilers

1990 - 22 games, 24 points, +12, 4th in scoring and 4th in +/- for the Oilers

1994 - 23 games, 8 points, +1, 9th in scoring and 12th in +/- for the Rangers

What was of more importance, Tikkanen to his teams or his teams to Tikkanen?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The absurd claim was that McDavid's career to date trumps Tikkanen's career and it supposedly isn't even close.

If McDavid had a career-ending injury, no way 50 years from now would his career be seen as better. If you could draft a Tikki to do what he did in his long career or a McDavid but only for a short career, it is silly to choose the career of the latter over the former.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I know points aren't everything...Tikkanen brought a different element to the game than McDavid ever did, does, or will...but, without looking, does McDavid already have more career points than Tikkanen in, what I assume to be, less than half of the career games...?

In 30 years, we'll have to struggle to conjure up the name Esa Tikkanen, like we do now for Eddie Shack but without the rhyming jingle...

If McDavid doesn't play another game, we'll have no trouble knowing who that is for at least 50 years...

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
McDavid is easily the best player born in 1997. Should be fairly uncontroversial to say he's the best hockey player born after 1987. The only person with an arguably better career than him born after 1987 is Patrick Kane, and that's only if you value prime and playoffs over repeated MVPs. If Connor Bedard ends up being better, then McDavid will be the best player born between 1987 and 2005.

Tikkanen is not even a top five player born in 1965 (Lemieux, Hasek, Roy, Yzerman). Cam Neely and Pat LaFontaine would also be ahead in most lists.

There's really no comparison. One was known as the best hockey player in the world for several years, won two Harts and three Pearsons. The other never received a single Hart vote and had one year as a third team LW AS.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

1987 - 21 games, 9 points, +1, tied for 8th in scoring for the Oilers with Randy Gregg, just behind Craig McTavish

I don't think this needs a disservice of Tikkanen. Esa was absolutely dynamite to those teams. However, Tikkanen is a complimentary player. At his best, he was a world class complimentary player. But he was just that. McDavid is a core piece and most likely the best core piece of his generation. These two do not warrant a comparison.

Reactions: wetcoast

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
The absurd claim was that McDavid's career to date trumps Tikkanen's career and it supposedly isn't even close.

If McDavid had a career-ending injury, no way 50 years from now would his career be seen as better. If you could draft a Tikki to do what he did in his long career or a McDavid but only for a short career, it is silly to choose the career of the latter over the former.

McDavid is already closing in on becoming a HOF'er, while Tikkanen is known for being a very good pest and 2 way forward with a few high Selke nominations.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

1990 and '91, tikkanen to his teams. the other years, the other way around.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i just find the pacing of mcdavid's seasons interesting. what might rookie mcdavid have looked like if healthy? what might 2020 mcdavid have looked like without the COVID shutdown?

yearfirst half totalfirst half per gamefull year totalfull year per gamestretch run totalstretch run per game
202148 in 281.714105 in 561.87541 in 172.412
202063 in 411.53797 in 641.51616 in 9*1.778
201961 in 401.525116 in 781.48729 in 181.611
201846 in 411.122108 in 821.31737 in 211.762
201746 in 411.122100 in 821.22031 in 201.550
201612 in 12**1.00048 in 451.06719 in 18***1.056
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

* technically, there was no stretch run (or he was just starting it) because the regular season abruptly ended 18 games early

** not counting the game he was injured and left early

*** but another way of accounting for those last twenty-odd games of the regular season is those were actually his midseason, because he missed three months. if healthy all year, could he have gone into overdrive and put up video game stats as he was wont to do for basically the entire rest of his career?

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad