Speculation: If the season goes down the tubes, who's the first to go?

BPMrules

Nov 10, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I'd think ownership will let Oates have the "full" season, so he's out.
Is Green considered part of the core on D, or can we move forward with 74/27/81/spare parts, and move him?
Who's even worth anything to the rest of the NHL, up front? Ward? MJ90? Brouwer?

I know it's early, and this certainly isn't hitting the panic button, but one has to think some pieces will be moving in the next couple weeks, if we can't string together a few wins.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that all depends on how and why it goes down the tubes. right? i know you are looking to stir the pot and talk rolling heads, but let play some more hockey and lets see if they fail and if they fail why they fail.

right now....i got nothing for you

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
TX is right on.

And even in a bad year, Oates gets at least 2 years, IMO.

Jury is less than out... the notices haven't even been mailed.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Going into the season there was things I liked and things I did not like. At this point I am not sure of anything. To many players regressed.

This team may have the lowest hockey IQ in the league. Its crazy bad

Over the past few seasons I start to believe if this team is going to win a cup. It will be with our "young guns" as the core of veterans. And the next in line as the core.

I think if anyone is moved it should be Brooks. He is a nice player but the role he plays he should be a luxury on a winning team. And he still has a lot of value.

At this point we have to wait and hope with Green. I just threw up in my mouth a little after saying that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe this season can be the perfect storm of down seasons. Everyone is the player we though or hoped they were. They just all have a down season and we get a top five pick. And a player that steps right in and makes the team.

And in a season or two we can be a vary young and exciting team again. And the now core will be a little more seasoned.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Right now you can't really move Green...not with Carlson carrying in zombie mode and Orlov sidelined.

I know the contract isn't great but if goaltending doesn't solidify I could maybe see a panic-fueled Lalongo trade. We know VAN had interest in Brouwer in the past.

More likely they'd just swap out inconsequential parts and hope their best players wake the **** up.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ken Holland said he'd evaluate his team after 20 games, so that's what Mafki should do.

If they're still crap, trade all the pending UFAs for futures. Maybe move one of the longer-term guys to shake things up. Then get aggressive with trades at the draft if the core doesn't snap out of their funk.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Going into the season there was things I liked and things I did not like. At this point I am not sure of anything. To many players regressed.

This team may have the lowest hockey IQ in the league. Its crazy bad

Over the past few seasons I start to believe if this team is going to win a cup. It will be with our "young guns" as the core of veterans. And the next in line as the core.

I think if anyone is moved it should be Brooks. He is a nice player but the role he plays he should be a luxury on a winning team. And he still has a lot of value.

At this point we have to wait and hope with Green. I just threw up in my mouth a little after saying that.

Where's MrWarden? Someone hijacked MrGone's account.

I Am Score*

McPhee will get the hammer if we don't make the playoffs likely.

I don't see Oates being fired after one season or a half a season.

774coach

Nov 14, 2005
Life long Bruins fan here ....... as a big time fan of Oates from his days in Boston im wishing nothing but the best for your new coach. His knowledge for the game seemed to be higher than even his obvious skill level. We are 2 or 3 weeks into his coaching career ....... he'll be fine !

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I want Ted to sell the team. He is incompetent. It's pathetic.

I agree, but I will say Ted has shown he will spend money. I'm not sure he will in the future though. I don't think I've ever seen an owner so completely clueless about hockey. I remember back when he bought the team how happy I was Abe was gone. Someone joked about getting one of Illitch's kids to buy the team. I laughed at the idea , but at the same time thought interesting idea.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
McPhee will get the hammer if we don't make the playoffs likely.

I don't see Oates being fired after one season or a half a season.

Who knows, but I wouldn't support Oates getting fired. I think he at least gets a real training camp and the first part of next season. Desperate teams will do desperate things though.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I want Ted to sell the team. He is incompetent. It's pathetic.

As long as he is willing to spend the money and doesn't try to get involved in the actual hockey operations how can an owner be incompetent?

Don't get me wrong, there was a while there where Leonsis was a poor owner as he played with his new toy but since the pre Ovechkin lockout Leonsis has been a model owner IMO.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

At this time, I'm on the fence for some regarding resigning them:
- Erskine (bad hit last night, but he played like a man possessed, team needs that);
- Poti (may serve as a good mentor for some young d-men)
- Ribeiro (he needs a supporting cast, dare I say Sasha comes home and becomes one of his linemates next season)
- Wolski, doubt we get anything for him so hold on to him until the end of the season
- Hendricks, he's taken on Matt Bradley's role, just for his heart he's a keeper
- Joey Crabb seems a bit redundant with Hendricks, but let's see how things play out a bit longer
- Still hoping that Eric Fehr finds his game or any game
- Jack Hillen, he owes us some games

Others need to go and see what we can get
- Hamrlik, probably around a 4th rounder
- Perreault, I know he's not a free agent, but there's no whining in hockey

Next season(13/14) forwards could possibly look:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Forsberg
Semin - Ribeiro - Ward
Laich - MAJO - Brouwer
Hendricks - Beagle - Chimera
Crabb/Fehr

14/15 possibly:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Forsberg
Semin - Ribeiro - Kuznetsov
Laich - MAJO - Brouwer
Wilson - Beagle - Ward
Hendricks

- Schultz, there really should be no need to explain any further

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Relying on two unproven non-NA players to 1) actually come over, and 2)actually play well enough to be in the top 6? Just a tad risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad