If the season continues to play out like this, is missing the playoffs acceptable?

Is barely missing the playoffs acceptable at this point?

• Total voters

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
CJ Smith and Nylander should be getting a look. There's really no harm in giving them a few games, and seeing if they gel. The rug will stay nice and snug under their feet. It's a confidence boost more than anything.

I'd expect it soon from both of them. Nylander may have to wait though, he's injured again.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Thompson had a very good rookie camp/preseason, you seem to always leave that fact out. Hindsight is always 20-20. If Nylander was here instead we'd probably be *****ing about him being up.
Nylander had a significantly better post season and is overall a more well rounded and polished player.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Thompson had a very good rookie camp/preseason, you seem to always leave that fact out. Hindsight is always 20-20. If Nylander was here instead we'd probably be *****ing about him being up.
As a reasonable person I had no problem with him getting a shot to start the season with the varsity. The problem was that he got his chance, showed he had absolutely no business being on an NHL roster and had to be sent down to work on his game for his own good and the team has refused to do so.

Reactions: Baccus and Dubi Doo

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Nylander had a significantly better post season and is overall a more well rounded and polished player.

Evidently not, Nylander looks pretty good now but his early season performance in Rochester was worrying. People need to realize we don't have the privilege of calling up everyone unless there are injuries and Botts doesn't feel like throwing assets away for nothing just to give yet unproven guys a shot. We all want them to have success but unless we trade/waive some guys they won't get a chance right away. And no I don't expect Mitts or Thompson to be sent down at this point, I still feel like there's far bigger problems on the roster than them atm.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Evidently not, Nylander looks pretty good now but his early season performance in Rochester was worrying. People need to realize we don't have the privilege of calling up everyone unless there are injuries and Botts doesn't feel like throwing assets away for nothing just to give yet unproven guys a shot. We all want them to have success but unless we trade/waive some guys they won't get a chance right away. And no I don't expect Mitts or Thompson to be sent down at this point, I still feel like there's far bigger problems on the roster than them atm.
Tage Thompson is still one of the worst forwards in the NHL and though I guess Mitts is not on that level, it's still hard not to blame the guy who's putting up Johan Larsson numbers.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Tage Thompson is still one of the worst forwards in the NHL and though I guess Mitts is not on that level, it's still hard not to blame the guy who's putting up Johan Larsson numbers.
How dare you bring up the Johan to insult another player.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Disagree. Nylander isn't even one of the top recall guys at this point. He has plenty to work on, especially consistency. He also is injured. I'm not sure Nylander is in our future at this point and I'm ok with it. I'm sure his negotiations will be fun with that family.

Tage should be sent down and Botterill should've had more center support if he expected Mittelstadt to play in BUF this year.

CJ Smith and Olofsson are both ahead of Nylander from an offensive recall and Justin Bailey/Dan O'Regan are ahead of Nylander for bottom 6 call ups.

Reactions: Sabreality

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I fundamentally disagree with the idea that we should be looking to trade assets/picks for players immediately so as to lock down a playoff spot for this season. We know they won't go far, why waste precious assets and jeopardize our future just to get some instant gratification this season and get knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round. None of us want them to miss the playoffs, but GMJB has made it pretty clear he's playing the long game on this one. I'd expect some callups at some point this season (and how well they'll influence the season is an unknown), but rentals should be off the table entirely. If we can get a good, young center with some term without giving up the farm then I'd be down but that's gonna be a tough find.

Reactions: SabresFan26

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Disagree. Nylander isn't even one of the top recall guys at this point. He has plenty to work on, especially consistency. He also is injured. I'm not sure Nylander is in our future at this point and I'm ok with it. I'm sure his negotiations will be fun with that family.

Tage should be sent down and Botterill should've had more center support if he expected Mittelstadt to play in BUF this year.

CJ Smith and Olofsson are both ahead of Nylander from an offensive recall and Justin Bailey/Dan O'Regan are ahead of Nylander for bottom 6 call ups.

I only agree with half of this, while yes Nylander does have some things to work on I do not agree Olofsson is ahead of him. He's had a good season overall, at points lately he's looked like the best player out on the ice for the Amerks, his presence is felt when he's on the ice. Olofsson has a lot more maturing to do in his game yet, and is a much more specialized player vs Nylander being an all-rounder. Thankfully Olofsson is starting to turn it on again after going on a pretty massive cold streak.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I'll take the guy who's inconsistent over the guy who's consistently bad. AINEC

Reactions: sabremike

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I only agree with half of this, while yes Nylander does have some things to work on I do not agree Olofsson is ahead of him. He's had a good season overall, at points lately he's looked like the best player out on the ice for the Amerks, his presence is felt when he's on the ice. Olofsson has a lot more maturing to do in his game yet, and is a much more specialized player vs Nylander being an all-rounder. Thankfully Olofsson is starting to turn it on again after going on a pretty massive cold streak.
Thus he's earned a look over Nylander who's injured. Olofsson is 3 years older and has way more pro experience than Nylander.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Nylander would likely be just as bad if not worse, especially defensively given who Thompson has played with. Same argument as yours from last year with Reinhart.
Problem: we already know Thompson is terrible. He has clearly demonstrated this by being given the opportunity and falling flat on his face. Nylander hasn't even got a chance so we have no idea if he would be better. There's only one way to find out, and it would be wise if we did just that.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I don't think we're missing the playoffs. But if this team sh*ts the bed and DOES, it is squarely on Housley.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Thus he's earned a look over Nylander who's injured. Olofsson is 3 years older and has way more pro experience than Nylander.

I should have been more specific, when I said "he" I was referring to Nylander not Olofsson. And no actually Nylander has more pro experience technically. There are 52 games in a season in the SHL, compared to 82 in the AHL. That's a huge difference.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
As a reasonable person I had no problem with him getting a shot to start the season with the varsity. The problem was that he got his chance, showed he had absolutely no business being on an NHL roster and had to be sent down to work on his game for his own good and the team has refused to do so.
Botts really screwed the pooch with Thompson. There's no excuse for him being up, and not giving other players a shot to see if they're better prepared for the NHL.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Botts really screwed the pooch with Thompson. There's no excuse for him being up, and not giving other players a shot to see if they're better prepared for the NHL.
I'm at the point where hating Tage is just unfair. The hatred should be directed at the fools who are putting him in this position.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
For the OP question, I think there would be an overwhelming majority that would be fine with Buffalo just missing the playoffs. The 10 game streak off the backs of superb play from goaltenders and 1st line, with some secondary offense which we have seen since or previously, have skewed fans expectations, especially so soon.

Re: Nylander/Thompson/Mittelstadt call up, etc.

Nylander had a fantastic preseason/camp, and many thought he was better than the other two guys. Thompson had a couple moments in camp of domination but didn’t have consistent games. Mittelstadt was extremely quiet and had a poor showing offensively (and honestly had brought that same inept offensive game to the main roster this year), being outclassed by guys like Asplund. Management talked about giving the guys the chances to earn a spot. This was very apparent to be a lie. IMO, none of the guys truly earned a spot on the roster, but Nylander sure as hell was more deserving of a shot at a spot on the main roster than the other two guys.

Sure enough, Mittelstadt and Thompson were given spots, not just on the active roster, but in prominent spots such as the top 6. Whereas guys like Asplund, Nylander were sent down.

So now we’re in a position to have Botts tell us that we could be looking into callups to help the team, I ask them how they’re going to do that and who will be on the chopping block. Is Sobotka going to be? If so, there’s another guy you looked for center help that is gone, further depleting our center depth. Is Wilson a guy that will be gone? Doubt it since Botts brought him in and brings a useful game. Will it be someone like E-Rod? Sure will miss that speed and his game. Okposo? What happens with his contract since I doubt someone takes that deal off our hands. The most likely guy will be Elie, but will that be enough?

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
At this point- the only goal, the only expectation, is for the Buffalo Sabres to make the playoffs. Anything less would be a failed season after a 10 game winning streak. Unacceptable to miss with the roster that they had to accomplish that. Missing the playoffs would be a wasted season. The only redeeming factor would be if they missed and walked out with a top 5 pick from it. Trade may be the only way but this rebuild and mission has officially failed if any of the 4 first round picks are traded. Look at the Skinner trade, Gratton for Briere. Acquiring value without sacrificing our most valuable assets- contrary to many common belief- can be done.

Reactions: sabremike

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
How do you think the players that have been here for 3 yrs or more would answer tis question?
Guys like Risto, Girgs, Eichel, Reinhart, they were drafted by this organization that in their time here have gone nowhere.
If the Sabres miss the playoffs, it's assured the locker room will sour. We saw it last season. These guys aren't going to piss away their early to mid careers waiting, if this team doesn't make the playoffs, hell, I'll go so far as to say if they don't make moves to better the team, some of these players will want out, and who can blame them, it's their careers.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I fundamentally disagree with the idea that we should be looking to trade assets/picks for players immediately so as to lock down a playoff spot for this season. We know they won't go far, why waste precious assets and jeopardize our future just to get some instant gratification this season and get knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round. None of us want them to miss the playoffs, but GMJB has made it pretty clear he's playing the long game on this one. I'd expect some callups at some point this season (and how well they'll influence the season is an unknown), but rentals should be off the table entirely. If we can get a good, young center with some term without giving up the farm then I'd be down but that's gonna be a tough find.
Risto's been here 5 yrs, Girgs 6 now. Eichel and Reinhart are off their ELC's.

How long do you expect these guys to wait? Because in case you hadn't noticed, next yrs UFA class, help isn't coming

The only way the team is going to improve is call ups, trades and maybe a player or 2 in the draft.
The draft takes.....wait for it......time. So that dog don't hunt.
That leaves call ups and trades. There for, there is absolutely 0 reason to wait. You make the moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad