If the season continues to play out like this, is missing the playoffs acceptable?

Is barely missing the playoffs acceptable at this point?

• Total voters

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Someone here needs to tell me how just missing the playoffs benefits this organization in any way? Does the league give us a compensatory pick for coming close? Do we get a you suck cap allocation like they do in MLS? Even better: if we are in this position at the deadline Skinner probably goes and our spectacular trade heist goes completely up in flames. So to sum it up: failure to make the playoffs means this season was exactly like the previous 8: a miserable failure and a complete waste of time.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Risto's been here 5 yrs, Girgs 6 now. Eichel and Reinhart are off their ELC's.

How long do you expect these guys to wait? Because in case you hadn't noticed, next yrs UFA class, help isn't coming

The only way the team is going to improve is call ups, trades and maybe a player or 2 in the draft.
The draft takes.....wait for it......time. So that dog don't hunt.
That leaves call ups and trades. There for, there is absolutely 0 reason to wait. You make the moves.

How long players have been here is irrelevant, they're still collecting a paycheck. I have no interest in handicapping the future of the organization for another 3-5 years by doing exactly what Tim Murray did again. I'm surprised at the number of people that learned absolutely f*** all from his time here as a GM, this "win now at all costs" mentality is exactly what got us here in the first place. Make some callups sure, only 2 guys are ready for it now and even that's up to debate. Trading for a rental that's gonna stay here for a year or two and leave just so we can make the playoffs for a year is counter intuitive. You need a center that has at least some term, and is within the same age range as the rest of our core. That's not gonna come cheap, so it better be a damn good deal.

The 10 game win streak seriously ruined everyone's outlook on this season and it's infuriating.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is a friendly reminder that last season a team who the prior season lost more games than a team that was literally designed to lose as many games as possible made the playoffs. But yes, we have to settle for a Miz Participation Award ("You Tried") and wait until next season (or the season after that, maybe 2 or 3 seasons after that just to be safe). Bullcrap, when you get an opportunity YOU TAKE IT.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
From where they were in the standings. To literally make no adjustments to the roster, yes, its unacceptable.

Still half a season though.
The AHL wingers won't make a bit of difference in the team's playoff hunt while they have a developing/struggling rookie or a washed up vet to play with at center. It's not a very fair scenario to drop any of them into, other than simply evaluating their ability to contribute in the NHL. There's good reason for that (@Woodhouse has explained in another thread), but don't think Botterill is throwing a potential playoff season away by leaving Smith, Nylander, Olofsson in Rochester for longer than we like. They won't turn things around without better play down the middle.
I'm going to ramble on again. :laugh:

A month after scoring 49 November GF, the Sabres reverted back to their 31 October GF clip and have only 29 December GF. Skinner was second in goals for November and same with Eichel now for December. To illustrate, Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart have combined for 18 GF this December with one game left to play. They contributed assists on each of the 4 GF gotten from the defense too. Further, Eichel-Reinhart assisted on Sheary's lone ENG contribution in a 3-0 ANA win. Quick math, that's 23 of 29 December GF, or 79.3%, purely coming from top line offense. The fourth line of Girgensons-Larsson-ERod have chipped in an admirable 5 December GF, or 17.2%, scoring three counter goals and two more at the backdoor, while also regularly contributing to the top PK unit [3 PPGA (1st), 34 TS (7th), 91.2 PK% (1st)] of the NHL month. Again, some quick math leaves just 1 December GF, or 3.4%, unaccounted for and that's your lone middle-six contribution for the month among Sheary-Mittelstadt-Okposo and Thompson-Sobotka-Pommer: one Mittelstadt goal vs ARZ, assisted by Sheary. Their only other "middle-six" points came from Sheary's previously mentioned ENG and Thompson playing with the two mainstay fourth-liners vs WSH, where Oshie deflected Thompson's shot to Larsson at the backdoor for a tap-in. Elie has contributed nothing to the cause when rotated in either. This is all pitiful and redundant news to most, but somehow they're still riding this depth as if an Amerks winger couldn't possibly be any worse at scoring. Even if Smith and Olofsson only spark PP2 into contributing a few goals, that's something, not nothing. This is why I'll kindly tune out anyone who thinks an Amerks winger could possibly contribute less because, rather than a 4-5-3 December, it could have been better with just one more goal in any of these games swinging some points your way. It definitely won't matter in March and April if you piss away points now because you want to ride out major slumps, right? It's definitely rewarding players of deserving TOI, right?

The improvement or exceeding expectation season narratives shouldn't ignore that each of these points are seemingly required for them to consistently win: that the top-line creates 2+ GF every game; that the improved healthy defense, top PK, and stable goalies be flawless and can't possibly falter after normal game/growing pains like PIM, mistakes, bad bounces, etc.; or that the defense and fourth line have to provide all the depth scoring. Instead, it should continually be asked where the heck in this roster construction is there any semblance of consistent scoring/center/wing depth to make up for the nights when any of those aspects are absent and when is it going to be addressed before they piss away more points likely needed in the wildcard race. That includes the PP2 going dead quiet, because if you didn't already know, Skinner, Eichel, and Dahlin have 11 of the last 13 PPG scored since Nov.1 and all six in December. Those Amerks wingers don't create goals on their AHL PP opps, right, right?

Also, below are some monthly stat capsules (with poor notes) that I didn't feel like formatting or delving into further. Just play around with the calendar parameters on NHL.com if anyone's curious to look at them further.
  • October: 12GP, 6-4-2, 14pts (t-11th); 31 GF (t-25th), 35 GA (18th); 0 SOW, 0 SOL; 364 SF (15th), 386 SA (21st); 9 PPG (t-9th), 45 PP (t-3rd), 20.0 PP% (17th); 8 PPGA (t-15th), 38 TS (t-14th), 78.9 PK% (15th); 49.0 FOW% (19th).
    • Sheary, Okposo, Mittelstadt, Pommer combine to score 7 of the 9 PPG
    • Risto 1+3 -10, Okposo 3+4 -6, Sheary 3+2 -7, Reinhart 1+3 -7
  • November: 14GP, 11-3-0, 22pts (1st); 49 GF (t-6th), 38 GA (t-10th); 3 SOW (1st), 0 SOL; 466 SF (10th), 464 SA (t-24th); 7 PPG (t-21st), 38 PP (t-19th), 18.4 PP% (19th); 7 PPGA (t-4th), 39 TS (t-11th), 84.6 PK% (6th); 46.0 FOW% (30th).
    • Eichel one goal
    • Bogo 4+ TOI/GP bump
    • Tage, ERod score 2 of 7 PPG; Skinner scores rest
    • Dahlin +9, Okposo +8
  • December: 12/13GP, 4-5-3, 11pts (t-24th); 29 GF (28th), 35 GA (t-8th); 0 SOW, 1 SOL; 390 SF (21st), 400 SA (t-14th); 6 PPG (t-19th), 36 PP (t-21st), 16.7 PP% (19th); 3 PPGA (1st), 34 TS (7th), 91.2 PK% (1st); 49.2 FOW% (17th).
    • Eichel ten goals
    • Dahlin 3+ TOI/GP bump
    • Bogo another 1+ TOI/GP bump
    • Up to three injured defense, recalls rotated in
    • Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner combine for the 6 PPG
    • Sobotka, Okposo each 0+0 -7

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Beginning of the season, I thought that finishing out of the bottom 10 would be progress - potentially fighting for a WC spot. Anything beyond is gravy. Anything less would be disappointing.

Not going to budge from that even though they had that streak. Roster still needs work.

Reactions: Zman5778

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
How long players have been here is irrelevant, they're still collecting a paycheck. I have no interest in handicapping the future of the organization for another 3-5 years by doing exactly what Tim Murray did again. I'm surprised at the number of people that learned absolutely **** all from his time here as a GM, this "win now at all costs" mentality is exactly what got us here in the first place. Make some callups sure, only 2 guys are ready for it now and even that's up to debate. Trading for a rental that's gonna stay here for a year or two and leave just so we can make the playoffs for a year is counter intuitive. You need a center that has at least some term, and is within the same age range as the rest of our core. That's not gonna come cheap, so it better be a damn good deal.

The 10 game win streak seriously ruined everyone's outlook on this season and it's infuriating.
This has nothing to do with the win streak, and everything to do with 5he win streak.
Players aren't robots, they're human beings with aspirations, goals, a competitive spirit and a drive to seek success. As such, if success isn't showing here, they'll seek it elsewhere, you can bank on it.
This has everything to do with that. Players don't listen to excuses for extended periods, at least not the ones that have the fire and passion to be champions. Such is human behavior, human nature.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
How long players have been here is irrelevant, they're still collecting a paycheck. I have no interest in handicapping the future of the organization for another 3-5 years by doing exactly what Tim Murray did again. I'm surprised at the number of people that learned absolutely **** all from his time here as a GM, this "win now at all costs" mentality is exactly what got us here in the first place. Make some callups sure, only 2 guys are ready for it now and even that's up to debate. Trading for a rental that's gonna stay here for a year or two and leave just so we can make the playoffs for a year is counter intuitive. You need a center that has at least some term, and is within the same age range as the rest of our core. That's not gonna come cheap, so it better be a damn good deal.

What's more impressive is how people on this board have allowed the memory of TMGM to seep for far into their brains/ outlooks that they are scared to make a meangingful acquisition ever again moving forward.

Making a move is not necessarily a "win now at all costs" move to make. Making a move to stabilize what seems to be a somewhat sinking ship giving confidence to the players is in no way shape or form a bad move. No one is suggesting selling the farm to trade so say panarin (and praying we can resign him)...making a move for a guy like Brassard to help settle Mitts into a better role to develop is a no brainer.

The fact that Murray has to come up in every discussion is pathetic, we can discuss trades without people running to their bomb shelters and covering their ears over the fact that we might trade away our next karabeck, cornell, bailey, baptiste etc.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

A month after scoring 49 November GF, the Sabres reverted back to their 31 October GF clip and have only 29 December GF. Skinner was second in goals for November and same with Eichel now for December. To illustrate, Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart have combined for 18 GF this December with one game left to play. They contributed assists on each of the 4 GF gotten from the defense too. Further, Eichel-Reinhart assisted on Sheary's lone ENG contribution in a 3-0 ANA win. Quick math, that's 23 of 29 December GF, or 79.3%, purely coming from top line offense. The fourth line of Girgensons-Larsson-ERod have chipped in an admirable 5 December GF, or 17.2%, scoring three counter goals and two more at the backdoor, while also regularly contributing to the top PK unit [3 PPGA (1st), 34 TS (7th), 91.2 PK% (1st)] of the NHL month. Again, some quick math leaves just 1 December GF, or 3.4%, unaccounted for and that's your lone middle-six contribution for the month among Sheary-Mittelstadt-Okposo and Thompson-Sobotka-Pommer: one Mittelstadt goal vs ARZ, assisted by Sheary. Their only other "middle-six" points came from Sheary's previously mentioned ENG and Thompson playing with the two mainstay fourth-liners vs WSH, where Oshie deflected Thompson's shot to Larsson at the backdoor for a tap-in. Elie has contributed nothing to the cause when rotated in either. This is all pitiful and redundant news to most, but somehow they're still riding this depth as if an Amerks winger couldn't possibly be any worse at scoring. Even if Smith and Olofsson only spark PP2 into contributing a few goals, that's something, not nothing. This is why I'll kindly tune out anyone who thinks an Amerks winger could possibly contribute less because, rather than a 4-5-3 December, it could have been better with just one more goal in any of these games swinging some points your way. It definitely won't matter in March and April if you piss away points now because you want to ride out major slumps, right? It's definitely rewarding players of deserving TOI, right?

The improvement or exceeding expectation season narratives shouldn't ignore that each of these points are seemingly required for them to consistently win: that the top-line creates 2+ GF every game; that the improved healthy defense, top PK, and stable goalies be flawless and can't possibly falter after normal game/growing pains like PIM, mistakes, bad bounces, etc.; or that the defense and fourth line have to provide all the depth scoring. Instead, it should continually be asked where the heck in this roster construction is there any semblance of consistent scoring/center/wing depth to make up for the nights when any of those aspects are absent and when is it going to be addressed before they piss away more points likely needed in the wildcard race. That includes the PP2 going dead quiet, because if you didn't already know, Skinner, Eichel, and Dahlin have 11 of the last 13 PPG scored since Nov.1 and all six in December. Those Amerks wingers don't create goals on their AHL PP opps, right, right?

Also, below are some monthly stat capsules (with poor notes) that I didn't feel like formatting or delving into further. Just play around with the calendar parameters on NHL.com if anyone's curious to look at them further.
  • October: 12GP, 6-4-2, 14pts (t-11th); 31 GF (t-25th), 35 GA (18th); 0 SOW, 0 SOL; 364 SF (15th), 386 SA (21st); 9 PPG (t-9th), 45 PP (t-3rd), 20.0 PP% (17th); 8 PPGA (t-15th), 38 TS (t-14th), 78.9 PK% (15th); 49.0 FOW% (19th).
    • Sheary, Okposo, Mittelstadt, Pommer combine to score 7 of the 9 PPG
    • Risto 1+3 -10, Okposo 3+4 -6, Sheary 3+2 -7, Reinhart 1+3 -7
  • November: 14GP, 11-3-0, 22pts (1st); 49 GF (t-6th), 38 GA (t-10th); 3 SOW (1st), 0 SOL; 466 SF (10th), 464 SA (t-24th); 7 PPG (t-21st), 38 PP (t-19th), 18.4 PP% (19th); 7 PPGA (t-4th), 39 TS (t-11th), 84.6 PK% (6th); 46.0 FOW% (30th).
    • Eichel one goal
    • Bogo 4+ TOI/GP bump
    • Tage, ERod score 2 of 7 PPG; Skinner scores rest
    • Dahlin +9, Okposo +8
  • December: 12/13GP, 4-5-3, 11pts (t-24th); 29 GF (28th), 35 GA (t-8th); 0 SOW, 1 SOL; 390 SF (21st), 400 SA (t-14th); 6 PPG (t-19th), 36 PP (t-21st), 16.7 PP% (19th); 3 PPGA (1st), 34 TS (7th), 91.2 PK% (1st); 49.2 FOW% (17th).
    • Eichel ten goals
    • Dahlin 3+ TOI/GP bump
    • Bogo another 1+ TOI/GP bump
    • Up to three injured defense, recalls rotated in
    • Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner combine for the 6 PPG
    • Sobotka, Okposo each 0+0 -7

For an organization that wants to preach competition within, they surely are moving at a snails pace to get that competition “motivation” up on the main roster.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
For an organization that wants to preach competition within, they surely are moving at a snails pace to get that competition “motivation” up on the main roster.
It's pretty obvious they are just feeding everyone empty and meaningless buzzwords that they have absolutely no intention of ever actually putting into practice.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
What's more impressive is how people on this board have allowed the memory of TMGM to seep for far into their brains/ outlooks that they are scared to make a meangingful acquisition ever again moving forward.

Making a move is not necessarily a "win now at all costs" move to make. Making a move to stabilize what seems to be a somewhat sinking ship giving confidence to the players is in no way shape or form a bad move. No one is suggesting selling the farm to trade so say panarin (and praying we can resign him)...making a move for a guy like Brassard to help settle Mitts into a better role to develop is a no brainer.

The fact that Murray has to come up in every discussion is pathetic, we can discuss trades without people running to their bomb shelters and covering their ears over the fact that we might trade away our next karabeck, cornell, bailey, baptiste etc.

Sure I'd normally be inclined to agree with you but man oh man the hot takes this board generates sometimes are just too much. Brassard is a rental, and 31, for all we know the problem will persist beyond this season. And I certainly wouldn't want to be giving up much for him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

You didn't have to type all that up for me! I know how lopsided it is, and while I think the AHL guys deserve a chance to show they belong, show Botterill what level they're at, etc (all those things you posted about before), I don't think they'll actually be more effective because their middle six Cs will be overmatched. None of Smith, Nylander, or Olofsson can drive play and create on their own. I want them to replace Pominville and Okposo yesterday, but improved secondary scoring and team success hinges on Mittelstadt's development and a big improvement over Sobotka. Teams know how to defend Buffalo now, so that is part of the equation for the recent drop off. There's good reason to make call-ups, I just doubt it will move the needle enough to impact their playoff chances. They need better play from center ice.

Which leads me to a mini-soapbox moment...

All this arguing over TM or any accelerating of the re-build stuff is off-point. Nobody wants to waste assets, and nobody wants to wait forever to make the playoffs. We all agree on that. Botterill already said he won't trade for rentals so why bother debating that? What IS worth debating is whether Buffalo should trade for a middle six C with term (or possibly a UFA that is willing to negotiate an extension, which is doubtful). IE - a C that can be a long-term addition that fits with the 21-25 year old range of our best players.

Acquiring that type of player is not wasting assets like TM did. Waiting on draft and development is not a "miserable waste of time" either, considering how well Buffalo has drafted under Botterill so far. Getting that player before March is a very tall order though, so we shouldn't be expecting that to happen. Nobody likes waiting, but if that's what happens (nothing but call-ups, no big trades, relying on draft picks), I still have very high hopes for this team in 1-3 years. With so many good prospects coming along and two extra 1sts, this team will be set up fantastically when Eichel is still in his prime at about 24-26 years old. That stretch of time is going to be worth waiting for, and it will be even better when all the whiners around here throwing food at the wall have disappeared for lack of patience.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
People who have sat through the past decade of this organization being a total embarrassment to the sport being chirpped at for lacking patience? I mean come on, that's nuclear weapons grade bullcrap.

Reactions: DJN21

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Here's another reason to not push too hard to improve the team with high draft picks right now...

Do we want to see the team lose a 1st or more when that move doesn't push them into Cup contention...all while TB and TOR are in their prime? I'm fine with waiting for player development and additional impact draftees, while bad contracts run out, Buffalo's cap situation gets better, and TB and TOR get worse after cap problems catch up to them. Those teams' windows are going to be closed in a few years, right about when Buffalo hits theirs. I'm ok with that. I'd rather not go toe-to-toe with two division rivals for a season or two and then run out of ammo to improve. I'd rather Buffalo be on the upswing when those teams are on the downswing.

This organization is finally doing it right, and this year was never make or break anyway. I'll be bummed if they miss the playoffs, but my god some posters here are gonna be on a suicide hotline and/or burning their Sabres gear in the back yard.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
People who have sat through the past decade of this organization being a total embarrassment to the sport being chirpped at for lacking patience? I mean come on, that's nuclear weapons grade bullcrap.

Yeah, by not developing players and teaching them how to win in Rochester, drafting poorly, and wasting assets on players that didn't make a difference. You want more of that I suppose, because all that matters is "doing something" even when it's wrong.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The 10 game streak didn't affect my general outlook on the season, especially given how we actually didn't deserve to win 10 in a row.

Before the season, I was going to be happy with being in playoff contention up until the deadline-ish. Unless we go on an epic losing streak, we're going to make it there.

I don't want any knee-jerk reactions. Call-ups from Rochester aren't saving the season. The only thing that will save the season (a legit 2nd line center) will cost too much in futures. We're not a SC contender. Don't make moves just to be a one-and-done.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, by not developing players and teaching them how to win in Rochester, drafting poorly, and wasting assets on players that didn't make a difference. You want more of that I suppose, because all that matters is "doing something" even when it's wrong.
Cite a single post on here calling on the team to draft poorly.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
:rolleyes: Don't break an ankle side-stepping the point.
OK, the idea that players who have done nothing but win their whole lives need to be taught how to win for years in the AHL is narrative that makes no sense. I mean wouldn't being on a team contending for a playoff spot also teach them how to win?

And also I have said numerous times that I am against trading assetts, I 100% want the help to come from within the organization.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
OK, the idea that players who have done nothing but win their whole lives need to be taught how to win for years in the AHL is narrative that makes no sense. I mean wouldn't being on a team contending for a playoff spot also teach them how to win?

o_O Did you not pay attention when TM ignored Rochester, allowing it to become a dumpster fire, bad players playing bad hockey? No winning culture, no demand for results, just wait for when it's "your turn" because of 6-10 terrible players on the big club. That's not supposed to be how you run an organization. In Buffalo's case, they needed to overhaul Rochester first if they were going to set up the Sabres for success through draft/development. I don't know why I should have to explain this.

Reactions: Sabreality

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You didn't have to type all that up for me! I know how lopsided it is, and while I think the AHL guys deserve a chance to show they belong, show Botterill what level they're at, etc (all those things you posted about before), I don't think they'll actually be more effective because their middle six Cs will be overmatched. None of Smith, Nylander, or Olofsson can drive play and create on their own. I want them to replace Pominville and Okposo yesterday, but improved secondary scoring and team success hinges on Mittelstadt's development and a big improvement over Sobotka. Teams know how to defend Buffalo now, so that is part of the equation for the recent drop off. There's good reason to make call-ups, I just doubt it will move the needle enough to impact their playoff chances. They need better play from center ice.

Which leads me to a mini-soapbox moment...

All this arguing over TM or any accelerating of the re-build stuff is off-point. Nobody wants to waste assets, and nobody wants to wait forever to make the playoffs. We all agree on that. Botterill already said he won't trade for rentals so why bother debating that? What IS worth debating is whether Buffalo should trade for a middle six C with term (or possibly a UFA that is willing to negotiate an extension, which is doubtful). IE - a C that can be a long-term addition that fits with the 21-25 year old range of our best players.

Acquiring that type of player is not wasting assets like TM did. Waiting on draft and development is not a "miserable waste of time" either, considering how well Buffalo has drafted under Botterill so far. Getting that player before March is a very tall order though, so we shouldn't be expecting that to happen. Nobody likes waiting, but if that's what happens (nothing but call-ups, no big trades, relying on draft picks), I still have very high hopes for this team in 1-3 years. With so many good prospects coming along and two extra 1sts, this team will be set up fantastically when Eichel is still in his prime at about 24-26 years old. That stretch of time is going to be worth waiting for, and it will be even better when all the whiners around here throwing food at the wall have disappeared for lack of patience.
Like Tavares waited on the Islanders?
There are examples one way and the other, but in the end a player who controls their own destiny (UFA) and a competitive fire in them looking to compete for Lord Stanley's Cup isn't going to wait 10 yrs for an organization to finally get it right. They'll seek out their best chance to get their name engraved in history.
I'm not implying we are there yet, but Risto for example is half way there, with a number of our core stars right on his heels time wise.
The time for waiting is over, and I agree we don't have to be so sheltered that we cringe at the thought of making a trade. But it's obvious for this season at least, a trade is the way to go, and, we happen to have more than enough ammo to make it happen.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Like Tavares waited on the Islanders?
There are examples one way and the other, but in the end a player who controls their own destiny (UFA) and a competitive fire in them looking to compete for Lord Stanley's Cup isn't going to wait 10 yrs for an organization to finally get it right. They'll seek out their best chance to get their name engraved in history.
I'm not implying we are there yet, but Risto for example is half way there, with a number of our core stars right on his heels time wise.
The time for waiting is over, and I agree we don't have to be so sheltered that we cringe at the thought of making a trade. But it's obvious for this season at least, a trade is the way to go, and, we happen to have more than enough ammo to make it happen.

Uh what? Tavares' contract ended and he left right when he turned 28. Eichel is under contract until he's 29, and I clearly discussed a window of contention for when he's 24-26, 2-4 years from now. I mean, did you just not bother to count?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
o_O Did you not pay attention when TM ignored Rochester, allowing it to become a dumpster fire, bad players playing bad hockey? No winning culture, no demand for results, just wait for when it's "your turn" because of 6-10 terrible players on the big club. That's not supposed to be how you run an organization. In Buffalo's case, they needed to overhaul Rochester first if they were going to set up the Sabres for success through draft/development. I don't know why I should have to explain this.
Botts did that and if you look back at the Botts thread I cited that as the best most important thing he did last season. But the main thing that screwed up Rochester wasn't players, it was how it was being run. They didn't just fail to win, they failed to develop players.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
:rolleyes: Don't break an ankle side-stepping the point.

Edit - part of drafting poorly is not using it - IE all those picks for Lehner, Kane, Bogosian, O'Reilly.

And those draft picks were used to acquire cost controlled and young assets to place on the main roster in roles to allow our team to draft and develop properly for the future draft picks. We had the assets to do so, and we had a very small window to use those assets to fill those roles.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Botts did that and if you look back at the Botts thread I cited that as the best most important thing he did last season. But the main thing that screwed up Rochester wasn't players, it was how it was being run. They didn't just fail to win, they failed to develop players.

Well I'm really glad we wasted time debating about the difference between development in Rochester and winning in Rochester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad