If the Leafs sign Tavares, does he become captain?

member 300185

The question is in the title.

Everyone saying that Matthews was groomed so to speak as the next captain. I contend that the captaincy has been left vacant for JT.

Any thoughts?

May 9, 2018
The question is in the title.

Everyone saying that Matthews was groomed so to speak as the next captain. I contend that the captaincy has been left vacant for JT.

Any thoughts?
Matthews is the captain next year. No questions asks. And I wouldn't go for Tavares anyway. Too much money and term in an area we're already really good at

member 300185

Matthews is the captain next year. No questions asks. And I wouldn't go for Tavares anyway. Too much money and term in an area we're already really good at
You think the Leafs are strong at centre? Um ok. How about the rest of the renters in the system? Are we still strong?

No, when you can get a guy like Tavares to lead you to a cup, YOU DO IT!!

Sometimes you have to forget your cap and term for anyone and go for it. I would trade 5 years of cap grief for one more cup in my lifetime. Anyone older than 30 here would.

May 9, 2018
You think the Leafs are strong at centre? Um ok. How about the rest of the renters in the system? Are we still strong?

No, when you can get a guy like Tavares to lead you to a cup, YOU DO IT!!

Sometimes you have to forget your cap and term for anyone and go for it. I would trade 5 years of cap grief for one more cup in my lifetime. Anyone older than 30 here would.
I think we already have an abundance of scoring. We need a C, but only a 2C or 3C, and only for a good price.

Reactions: Rob Brown

member 300185

I think we already have an abundance of scoring. We need a C, but only a 2C or 3C, and only for a good price.
Sure, if you want to remain average. The top teams in the league always have a 1 and 1a centre or 1 and 1. Not a 2c or 3c. The league needs skill and speed down the middle to win. You can add a RHD anytime with a trade of UFA signing.

May 9, 2018
Sure, if you want to remain average. The top teams in the league always have a 1 and 1a centre or 1 and 1. Not a 2c or 3c. The league needs skill and speed down the middle to win. You can add a RHD anytime with a trade of UFA signing.
So you wanna throw 12 million at a guy who's an 85 point C at best that sucks defensively? Even if you can justify it for a few years, the contract will bite you in the back in a few years when he declines.

member 300185

So you wanna throw 12 million at a guy who's an 85 point C at best that sucks defensively? Even if you can justify it for a few years, the contract will bite you in the back in a few years when he declines.
Who said that? I think Tavares signs for 10 or 10.5 and have at all the Canadian tire money....and win a cup. We are right there.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

I'm just going to leave this here, you can make your mind up if you want it:

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo-Nylander-Grundstrom

Show me a team that can properly defend that and I'll show you a liar.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

May 9, 2018
Who said that? I think Tavares signs for 10 or 10.5 and have at all the Canadian tire money....and win a cup. We are right there.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Why would he move and sign for 2 million less when he can stay in the NY area and sign with Jersey or the Rangers??

May 9, 2018
I'm just going to leave this here, you can make your mind up if you want it:

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo-Nylander-Grundstrom

Show me a team that can properly defend that and I'll show you a liar.
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Why would he move and sign for 2 million less when he can stay in the NY area and sign with Jersey or the Rangers??

He's from Mississauga. Rangers and Devils suck. Leafs have the best young talent in the league.

Leafs have the cap space to sign him.

The guy already has more than enough money than he will ever need. We might be the highest bidder anyways... and even if we aren't, he might take a bit less if he wants to play for the team he grew up cheering for.

I don't really think money will be the issue for him. Everyone is going to offer him a lot of money. He will probably choose based on where he wants to live and what team he wants to play for. I doubt that an extra million per year would be enough to change his mind on where he wants to spend the prime of his hockey career.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Yeah it would be sick if jt signed here, it would likely cost us nylander long term, but center depth wins championships. Come on down johnny!

May 9, 2018
He's from Mississauga. Rangers and Devils suck. Leafs have the best young talent in the league.

Leafs have the cap space to sign him.

The guy already has more than enough money than he will ever need. We might be the highest bidder anyways... and even if we aren't, he might take a bit less if he wants to play for the team he grew up cheering for.

I don't really think money will be the issue for him. Everyone is going to offer him a lot of money. He will probably choose based on where he wants to live and what team he wants to play for. I doubt that an extra million per year would be enough to change his mind on where he wants to spend the prime of his hockey career.
We'll see what happens. I'd be ok with giving him nothing more than 6 years.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner

The reason you'd want Nylander on his own line and Marner with Kadri if you get Tavares is... well... one of Marner/Matthews/Tavares would be facing third lines. Nylander would be getting easiest matchups and Grundstrom and Leivo are very capable scorers.

Just imagine... that third line deep this last year was the Bozak-JVR line. Our 4th line was sometimes there but not really.

That set up would likely make us president trophy winners even with our defense

Reactions: NovaLeaf

May 9, 2018
The reason you'd want Nylander on his own line and Marner with Kadri if you get Tavares is... well... one of Marner/Matthews/Tavares would be facing third lines. Nylander would be getting easiest matchups and Grundstrom and Leivo are very capable scorers.

Just imagine... that third line deep this last year was the Bozak-JVR line. Our 4th line was sometimes there but not really.

That set up would likely make us president trophy winners even with our defense
Who gives a ****?

May 9, 2018
Home ice advantage?

Easiest playoff matchups?

The answer to that question would be every Leafs fan.
... Or we could coast our way through the regular season, and then release the hounds in the playoffs.

May 9, 2018
Have you not been paying attention? HOME AND A CUP! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
yes, we are cup favourites with Tavares and another d'man, but Jersey is a contender with Tavares and another D-man, and they could potentially offer him more because they don't have to worry about signing the big 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad