If the Leafs sign Tavares, does he become captain?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen

IFFF we sign Tavares, it's clear as day the top 9 would look something like this. You can flip Marleau/Johnsson from time to time. Like... clear as day. (my guess would be that Brown is packaged, maybe with our 1st, for a dman).

Looks real nice. We would then need an energy 4th line that can inflict some punishment of the opponents D for the 5-8 minutes they will play. Personally I like Brown on that 4th line. I would put Martin on that line if we can't move him. Might be interested in Schaller if we could move Martin.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Looks real nice. We would then need an energy 4th line that can inflict some punishment of the opponents D for the 5-8 minutes they will play. Personally I like Brown on that 4th line. I would put Martin on that line if we can't move him. Might be interested in Schaller if we could move Martin.

Schaller is a name I'm interested in, though I think he may get overpaid (well, for what we could realistically acquire).

Regardless, I look at that top 9 and say it's pretty flawless. Only Marleau would need to be back filled eventually as the rest appear to be locked in for quite a while.

I think we would have to trade Brown for a dman. May be too expensive on the 4th line. Could use that $2.1M towards an upgrade on D.

Not sure how to round out the 4th line. Maybe Glenndening for cheap (with salary retention), Leivo and, uhh, Grundstrom?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Schaller is a name I'm interested in, though I think he may get overpaid (well, for what we could realistically acquire).

Regardless, I look at that top 9 and say it's pretty flawless. Only Marleau would need to be back filled eventually as the rest appear to be locked in for quite a while.

I think we would have to trade Brown for a dman. May be too expensive on the 4th line. Could use that $2.1M towards an upgrade on D.

Not sure how to round out the 4th line. Maybe Glenndening for cheap (with salary retention), Leivo and, uhh, Grundstrom?

Brown opened my eyes this past playoffs. I am less interested in trading him today than I have been in the past.

Reactions: tmlfan98

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I don't see the Leafs going with a captain this year, again. So, even IF we get Tavares he won't be named captain, as it should be. I'm not a fan of naming players captain the moment they get on a team where they haven't built relationships. If they end up targeting JT and HAVE TO name a captain this year, I go with either Matthews or Rielly. The one who loses out gets an A, and JT gets an A.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't see the Leafs going with a captain this year, again. So, even IF we get Tavares he won't be named captain, as it should be. I'm not a fan of naming players captain the moment they get on a team where they haven't built relationships. If they end up targeting JT and HAVE TO name a captain this year, I go with either Matthews or Rielly. The one who loses out gets an A, and JT gets an A.

This exactly. Has to be earned with your teammates and coaches

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think we already have an abundance of scoring. We need a C, but only a 2C or 3C, and only for a good price.
You realize we're losing an entire line to free agency right? That's over 50 goals walking right out the door. How do we have an "abundance of scoring"?

Reactions: NovaLeaf

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
i would make Tavares captain if we signed him.

I also think it needs to be our number 1 priority to sign him this off-season. Difference between the Leafs and winnipeg is that their veteran players (scheifele, wheeler, Byfuglien) carry the load while the youngsters ride shotgun. Leafs need more experience to lead the charge. (see Marleau's performance in game 7).

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
We shouldn't sign Tavares for the ridiculous price tag he'll command, let alone sign him and make him captain

The teams with the best players win. If a guy like Tavares becomes available, you acquire him no matter what. Signing Tavares isnt signing dead money. Regardless of what you pay him, there will be a team in the league desperate to take him off of your hands. Worst case scenario is we re-coop assets for him if we cant make the cap situation work. We arent talking about David Clarkson, or Milan Lucic. We are talking about a walk on team Canada super star.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The teams with the best players win. If a guy like Tavares becomes available, you acquire him no matter what. Signing Tavares isnt signing dead money. Regardless of what you pay him, there will be a team in the league desperate to take him off of your hands. Worst case scenario is we re-coop assets for him if we cant make the cap situation work. We arent talking about David Clarkson, or Milan Lucic. We are talking about a walk on team Canada super star.

Last two seasons. Which is Kadri, which is Tavares?

Player A
5v5 G/60 0.85
5v5 P/60 1.93
PP G/60 2.09
PP P/60 5.41

Player B
5v5 G/60 0.95
5v5 P/60 1.93
PP G/60 4.22
PP P/60 6.33

Rather than spending 10+ million/year on a center we don't need, we should spend it on a defenseman we do need.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sure, if you want to remain average. The top teams in the league always have a 1 and 1a centre or 1 and 1. Not a 2c or 3c. The league needs skill and speed down the middle to win. You can add a RHD anytime with a trade of UFA signing.

Vegas
Karlsson and Haula

Jets
Schiefele and Stastny

Tampa
Stamkos and Point

Washington
Kuznetsov and Backstrom

So 1/4 of the conference finalists have 2 1st line Cs

Nashville the President's trophy winner doesnt even have 1 #1C

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
yes, we are cup favourites with Tavares and another d'man, but Jersey is a contender with Tavares and another D-man, and they could potentially offer him more because they don't have to worry about signing the big 3.
Jersey contenders :laugh: they aren’t even remotely close to that, even with those guys. Hall isn’t going to give you an mvp year every year, shakey goaltending, no chance.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So you wanna throw 12 million at a guy who's an 85 point C at best that sucks defensively? Even if you can justify it for a few years, the contract will bite you in the back in a few years when he declines.

Tavares plays on the PK in long island and is known for being a good all-around two-way center....

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
who really cares who the captain is, but I do think we should try and sign Tavares. Having Matthews-Tavares - Kadri down the middle is so good. With the option to move Nylander to center if we decide to move on from Kadri at some point. That would be amazing.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Im all for signing Tavares. Hes not just a offensive guy, hes an all around, all situation guy. Hes great 5 on 5, penalty kill, power play and Mathews could learn a lot from a guy like him. Assets like him dont usually come around for free.

You can easily move a kadri, or nylander to save cap hell in the future. We must be wary as we still need defence and id say we only have 3 pieces to our D in Reilly, Dermott and Zaitsev since were stuck for 6 years on him. Lilly will make bottom pair in 1-2 years hopefully.

But you dont make him captain, yet...you dont just sign someone and name them captain.

Grapes1

Jul 24, 2014
If he deserves it why not....

Let them play for a year without a captain, and let Mike Babcock and management make their assessment after this.

I actually think he may make a better choice than Matthews...home grown boy who's been in the Toronto/Canada spotlight since he has been 14 years old. Might be perfect for Matthews to spend the next 7-10 years as an "A" and take over the "C" after that.

Reactions: ToneDog

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think if we sign JT it will be with his understanding that this is Matthews team. Matty will be the captain and highest paid player.
JT can have $10M/ and if he doesn't want it, he can seek employment elsewhere.
If we sign J.T. it would be clear that he would be the team leader as there is no way he signs unless he was the teams leader. As well J.T. would be the highest paid player and not Mathews.

I am not sold on signing J.T. but rest assured we will be in the hunt if he reaches free agency and he has always been the one Toronto area born player who wanted to play for Toronto.

I think his signing would mean that We would make another move or two as well.

We do have the cap space moving forward but a top player would have to move to upgrade our D.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
No but still sign him.

Rielly Tavares and Matthews with the A's next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad