If the Flyers lose to the Pens this Thursday and fall to 1-7.....

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Flyers average age for yesterday game against the Canucks with Timmonen (38) and Streit (35) and without Vinny and Hartnell is 26.88 years old...

Guys this is a very young team... Like Buffalo, Toronto, Winnipeg or Nashville... Except for Toronto, all these teams are on rebuilding process and the Flyers too!! To me the game of Thursday is an other test for a young group of guys. I don't expect anything from this team this season other than progression... We need to think for the future...

The average age thing is a little misleading just because our bottom-end depth guys are probably the youngest guys on the team. Gustafsson, McGinn, Raffl, Rinaldo, Couturier, Schenn, etc. These guys aren't the problem right now, it's our guys that are older or supposed to be in their primes that aren't doing anything.

If you're going to remove two of our four oldest players from the equation I'd remove two of our four youngest players from the equation. I imagine that will bump it up a bit and if you want an accurate statement of the core of the team I'd just do our top six forwards, our top four D, and Mason.

Point is that the average age is very misleading because most of the guys that aren't expected to carry the team are the youngest.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The average age thing is a little misleading just because our bottom-end depth guys are probably the youngest guys on the team. Gustafsson, McGinn, Raffl, Rinaldo, Couturier, Schenn, etc. These guys aren't the problem right now, it's our guys that are older or supposed to be in their primes that aren't doing anything.

If you're going to remove two of our four oldest players from the equation I'd remove two of our four youngest players from the equation. I imagine that will bump it up a bit and if you want an accurate statement of the core of the team I'd just do our top six forwards, our top four D, and Mason.

Point is that the average age is very misleading because most of the guys that aren't expected to carry the team are the youngest.

Actually, even if you don't take out those players and leave the average age at 27 or 26 that's still not young really for the NHL. That's the late end of a forwards prime years usually and almost at the mid-way point of most players careers.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
The chances of the Flyers winning this Thursday has to be lower than 5%. They have played the most emotionless/effortless hockey you can imagine. Do the players have an explanation of why they're so lifeless? Maybe they dont like playing the system they're in.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Actually, even if you don't take out those players and leave the average age at 27 or 26 that's still not young really for the NHL. That's the late end of a forwards prime years usually and almost at the mid-way point of most players careers.

I understand what you are trying to get at... but the NHL is a league where the average player is approximately 28... and the average age in the NHL has not been below 27 since 1993.

Add to this that most of the guys over 28 have to be pretty valuable players to stick for that long (considering the average 'retirement' age is 27.5-28) like I imagine you may find the guys over 28 actually have a higher chance of being higher up the depth chart... on almost every team.

There is only 1 team in the NHL with an average age under 26, Buffalo, and only an additional 5 under 27.

Our core forwards age (Giroux, Lecav, Hartnell, Voracek, Read, Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, Talbot, Rinaldo, all guys who will probably be here for the foreseeable future) has only three players over 27... out of 9 guys.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I understand what you are trying to get at... but the NHL is a league where the average player is approximately 28... and the average age in the NHL has not been below 27 since 1993.

Add to this that most of the guys over 28 have to be pretty valuable players to stick for that long (considering the average 'retirement' age is 27.5-28) like I imagine you may find the guys over 28 actually have a higher chance of being higher up the depth chart... on almost every team.

There is only 1 team in the NHL with an average age under 26, Buffalo, and only an additional 5 under 27.

Our core forwards age (Giroux, Lecav, Hartnell, Voracek, Read, Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, Talbot, Rinaldo, all guys who will probably be here for the foreseeable future) has only three players over 27... out of 9 guys.

That's my point. The guy acted like we were really young and rebuilding or waiting for their potential to show when in reality they're all already at that age where they're contributing and have shown their potential (minus Schenn and Couturier) and that the fringe guys lower that average age a lot.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
It will take a while for the stench of Lavi to dissipate, esp for the younger players who seem to not know what they're doing.

Uhhh but this is the time when your awesome superstar is supposed to be being awesomely super. Giroux has 2 assist in 7 games.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Giroux has 2 assist in 7 games.

While dealing with two surgically repaired wrists and finger. He's not going to hit stride for awhile. He didn't have much of a training camp either, so I'm pretty sure that he's just getting his feel and touch back. Of all players, he's the least I'm worried about.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The chances of the Flyers winning this Thursday has to be lower than 5%. They have played the most emotionless/effortless hockey you can imagine. Do the players have an explanation of why they're so lifeless? Maybe they dont like playing the system they're in.

They will need:
1) Mason standing on his head
2) Fleury crapping the bed
3) Giroux to come up with a multi-point game
4) Disciplined game by Rinaldo, Simmonds or whoever is prone to boneheaded reactions
5) Tye McGinn backhander
6) ... normally I would call it "secondary scoring" but this season there is hardly any scoring at all

So, all in all we are screwed :laugh:

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
They will need:
1) Mason standing on his head2) Fleury crapping the bed
3) Giroux to come up with a multi-point game
4) Disciplined game by Rinaldo, Simmonds or whoever is prone to boneheaded reactions
5) Tye McGinn backhander
6) ... normally I would call it "secondary scoring" but this season there is hardly any scoring at all

So, all in all we are screwed :laugh:

I think they can score at least 3, because the Pens tend to play a loose style the Flyers thrive on. Its the tight checking teams that frustrate them and shut them down.

LuigiStone*

what difference does it make, he'll fire Holmgren and replace him with the next half brtain dead goon from his past. As long as that decrepit old circus monkey is alive we arent going anywhere

Go watch another team if you have no respect for the Flyers heritage.

Snider & Bullies = Flyers

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
Go watch another team if you have no respect for the Flyers heritage.

Snider & Bullies = Flyers

People respect the Flyers heritage. They can still complain about the way things are run. Either Snider is the one pulling the strings (see: Bryzgalov, Ilya) and influencing hockey decisions, or he's keeping Holmgren at the helm despite numerous mistakes. Either way, he's responsible for this mess.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
You really need another 20-30 games to really see if Berube is the man or not. I think the team has improved noticeably since Lavi left and most agree. It is our bad luck, our system and the guys frankly having zero confidence right now. It literally is the worst case scenario barring someone getting injured and never playing again.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
my opinions in RED

....with the upcoming week off, would a loss to the Pens that sends them to 1-7 prompt them to make some type of move YES (players, GM, managment)? Knowing the OVERreactive nature of this franchise, I know it may not be IS NOT logical, but I can see something drastic happening with the extended time off.

I don't think they're going to do anything. I would like to see them make some minor changes just to shake things up - but getting rid of Coburn and some other pieces for Yakupov would just increase GA and GF by .5 or something like that - without really improving the team.

I don't think there's anything they can do - not that the season is totally lost 8 games in - but seriously... I know they're not scoring any goals but the defense is the problem. It sucks. Schenn and Streit are a good 2nd pairing. Coburn Timonen is a decent 2nd pairing too. But where's the 1st pairing? Nobody gives up a 1st pairing defenseman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad