Post 2005/2006: Top 5 worst contracts given

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Vlasic is an odd one, as he was supposedly so underrated for so long- then he gets a big contract and immediately shits the bed. It’s like he sucked upon signature, obviously regression with age is a thing but idk how SJ foresees his immediate uselessness.
He helps keep us above the cap floor and helps the tank.

Frankly I hope he sits in the press box all next year. He's just so bad and has no future.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Vlasic is an odd one, as he was supposedly so underrated for so long- then he gets a big contract and immediately shits the bed. It’s like he sucked upon signature, obviously regression with age is a thing but idk how SJ foresees his immediate uselessness.
Totally. Insane regression --- almost instant upon the 8 year deal. I'd like to think it was an injury instead of a mindset thing

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I think Bryzgalov, Dipietro, Gomez and Clarkson are up there IMO

Wade Redden was named, it was not good lol, as far as contract goes

Skinner has some up and down years, I'm not sure if he's top 5 worse

Reactions: pouf pouf

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Totally. Insane regression --- almost instant upon the 8 year deal. I'd like to think it was an injury instead of a mindset thing
It's certainly physical decline - Vlasic is just getting slower and slower in a league that is faster and faster. He also can't pivot worth a damn. As a consequence, he's far too immobile to be in position to play acceptable defense, and he provides nothing else to make up for it (he has zero offensive talent, isn't physical, etc). I don't know if injury caused that, but he's just totally immobile and has been for a few years.

It'd be like forcing a player to wear 20-pound weights on his feet and a visor that delayed everything they would see by half a second.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Came in here to say DiPietro. The injuries did him in. But he was unhealthy before the contract, so giving it to him was always bonkers.

He had yet to have a good season at the time he was signed to the contract and he was coming off a season that even adjusting for goalies with less than 10 games, he barely cracked the top 30 in save percentage…

The Islanders made a 15 year commitment on the basis of nothing more than wishes and dreams

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
How about Price and Ekman-Larsson?

Price with that huge contract being paid for what he did for the Habs in the past rather than what he could continue to do for them in the future and so far since getting that contract he's played one full season and two shortened pandemic ones and that's it.

Ekman-Larsson so bad that he needed to be bought out.

• Haha
Reactions: Legend123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad