Speculation: IF the Coyotes get the number one overall pick in 2018

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You know who the coach was when the Leafs finished last? Blaming the coach is often times nothing but a scapegoat mentality. It's a lot easier to blame a coach than to admit the team sucks.
2 entirely different situations....the Leafs were built to lose...the Yotes, even before making their offseason moves, were supposed to be winning. Obviiously it falls om the players, it always should, but i don't remember that losing Leafs team going 10 games without a win....something is wrong.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It would be foolish to trade OEL for the sake of throwing Dahlin to the wolves. You have the perfect learning/developmental environment for him - 2 prominent Swedish defencemen, one a dynamic top pairing offensive D, the other a high end shutdown D with 3 cup rings. You couldn't ask for a better situation for the young man.

You shop Golikoski and get whatever you can for him, then try and trade Demers++ for an upgrade at RHD and roll with a top 4 of

OEL-??? (Aforementioned upgrade)
Dahlin-Hjalmarsson

And enjoy having one of the better top 4's in the game. Then you hope Clayton Keller can continue to grow into a top forward threat. Should be a playoff team with the right supporting cast. Re-sign OEL and let D be your strength. Is it so bad to have 2 top pairing LHD? There's tons of minutes to go around on separate pairings.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
dahlin oel pairing would be sick. i feel like oel signing an extension would be based on if arizona got the first pick

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Take Dahlin. No-brainer.

Any player compared to Karlsson / Lidstrom should be the pick.

But I would look into trading OEL soon to pretty much ensure the 1st overall (or increase odds even more). I'm not saying the Yotes should "tank" but if they trade Ekman-Larsson for a nice prospects/picks package that would payoff when they are ready to take the next step, they should do it.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Dude

We have had several threads on him being the best GM in the league and I predict if the draft first we will get another one

I hear you, but coyotes fans never started that shit. And it has nothing to do with this thread, I'd like to be able to talk hockey instead of hearing the same joke over and over again.. and I agree with you, it is a joke. No coyotes fan will ever agree with that.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
For those who keep saying "keep both, top two pairs":

OEL shoots left
Goligoski shoots left
Chychrun shoots left
Hjalmarsson shoots left
Dahlin now too

Left side is full, and for a limited resource team like ARZ, spending so much money / so many picks / so much currency into one position leaves you short elsewhere.
You always keep your best players regardless of how your situation looks. Trade a couple of them for rightside/forward help if you can convince OEL to stay or else trade OEL.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Dahlin is widely considered the best defensive prospect of all time. Trading the pick for anything other than Mcdavid is a mistake.
wow is he really? Curious about his projections as i have not really been into this years draft

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Chayka is a top 3 GM in the league.

He can trade that pick and get a couple bodies to hit the cap floor then get a treasure trove of mediocre prospects that some people think will be good then watch them just melt the ice.

Top 3 GMs can pull off 2K trades in RL.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
For those who keep saying "keep both, top two pairs":

OEL shoots left
Goligoski shoots left
Chychrun shoots left
Hjalmarsson shoots left
Dahlin now too

Left side is full, and for a limited resource team like ARZ, spending so much money / so many picks / so much currency into one position leaves you short elsewhere.
lefty/righty pairs don't really matter. if you have the chance to build a good blueline, then do it

Reactions: _Del_

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Dont they have Minnesotas 1st this year for the Hanzal rental trade last year? If the Wild crap out thats 2 lotto picks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Keep the pick but don't expect it to make a damn bit of difference because it won't the team has way way to many holes Keller looks great but the rest is just awful they have a long long way to go

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
at the draft day, I'd offer the 3rd overall for OEL easily. or if Arizona accept to trade away the 1st overall (Dahlin), I'd go as far as Mackinnon + Landeskog + 2019 1st (top 5 protected).

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
With OEL, Chychrun and Dahlin the Coyotes would have a legendary LHD group.

Another option is to resign OEL, trade back 1 spot and draft Svechnikov who fits an organizational need and add an other piece that fits an organization need (RHD/RW)

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Dahlin is widely considered the best defensive prospect of all time. Trading the pick for anything other than Mcdavid is a mistake.

What? You know who is Denis Potvin, don't you?

flooredaccord

Apr 30, 2011
Dont they have Minnesotas 1st this year for the Hanzal rental trade last year? If the Wild crap out thats 2 lotto picks

Arizona receives a 2017 first-round pick, a 2018 second-round pick, and a conditional pick that could become a second-round pick in 2019, per Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
wow is he really? Curious about his projections as i have not really been into this years draft

"Widely considered the best of all time," might be a stretch, but he's the best since Hedmen for sure. He's ridiculously good. He's very hard to make comparisons, but my favorite (stylistically of course though the talent is there...) is actually Datsyuk that plays defense. I'd say he's a safe bet to be a first pairing D and I won't be surprised one bit if he's the best defenseman in the league in 5 years.

Reactions: flamesforcup

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Dahlin won't be a top pairing defender next season. You need OEL to shelter him. In the future they can run one pair each. You could have an elite d-man on the ice for the entire game if you wanted to then.
Your forwards are an easy fix.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Now that is a HUGE IF, because even though the Coyotes are more than on their way to last place, we legitimately have the worst lottery luck in the NHL.

XnNNrDj.png

But for sake of speculation, say they do. The Coyotes can either choose to:

A). Take Rasmus Dhalin, trade OEL seeing as they are both top paring, offensive minded LHD's.
B). Trade number one overall pick for immediate help (most likely a top 6 RH winger or top 6 center)
C). Keep both and hope that one is willing to play the right side.

With option A or B probably being the most likely/desired options, what would your offer be for OEL, or number one overall?

EDIT: Discretion, 99% sure you don't trade Dahlin, naturally. This is just for the sake of speculation.
C) Keep both. Hammer plays the right side and is a perfect compliment to a rookie D.
Dahlin-Hammer
OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Whoever

Looks pretty solid to me. Find a reliable goalie.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
The way bad teams stay bad is by worrying that they have too many good players before they are actually good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad