Speculation: If the Coyotes continue to fall, will Hall be Traded again?

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Losing your MVP goalie has that affect on almost every team.

Kuemper is a good goalie, but its not like he's Dryden. Did it effect the Yotes? Sure, but lets not pretend that Kuemper is an elite goalie or anything.

Yotes are badly in need of some REAL centers. I know Dvorak is only 24, but that guy's game just isn't suited for playing with Hall or Kessel. He's more of a decent 2c and a killer 3c. And then that brings us to 6.5 million 21 point center Derek Stepan... yikes. :help:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Kuemper is a good goalie, but its not like he's Dryden. Did it effect the Yotes? Sure, but lets not pretend that Kuemper is an elite goalie or anything.

Yotes are badly in need of some REAL centers. I know Dvorak is only 24, but that guy's game just isn't suited for playing with Hall or Kessel. He's more of a decent 2c and a killer 3c. And then that brings us to 6.5 million 21 point center Derek Stepan... yikes. :help:
Did the yotes ever try Domi at center before trading him ? Why didn t it work for him there ? Genuinely asking, I do not imagine the management eager to pay more for what they got for a guy they just traded :)

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Considering the Hall affect on the Coyotes would any playoff team be willing to give up their first fir him?
Is it the Hall effect or the Kuemper injury effect? Correlating the losing streak with Hall is like saying the Canucks haven't won the Cup because of Luongo and the Sedin twins.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

So good news and bad news...

Good news - EVERY bad contract you have expires after next season...that's great as you can unload some of those next season with 50% retention.

Ranta might be able to be moved this season with Fred Anderson out also...

Bad news - the Sea expansion draft isnt going to help you much at all...maybe 1 season of Kessel?

If I'm Arizona I definitely CONSIDER reflipping Hall otherwise he walks for free and his $3m hit is an A+ rental.

Start talks now and if they're not progressing...get some assets.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Never said he was elite, but when you lose a goalie who you are winning with and is posting a .925 save% and you replace him with lesser goaltending that will affect any team.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Unless they’re very high on hall, think he will be a foundational piece for them, and will be highly likely to resign- they should trade him and get some assets back.

He’s a skilled player but isn’t a core franchise player, but rather one that puts a contender over the top as a favorite as a rental.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Since this thread is ostensibly about Hall, we're not trading Hall. Also Chayka pushed fewer chips in than people are acting like, we don't really need to recoup all that much value in a theoretical world where the Coyotes completely fall out of it. Bahl is an extremely long term project as far as prospects go, conditionals are conditional, and the first that's going is probably gonna be pretty meh anyway.

A meh first and a project for a chance to make the playoffs for a team with an absurd drought? It was the right call all day every day. That it didn't work out tremendously doesn't reflect on the quality of the bet that was made.

It's like this site is bipolar. Oh the Coyotes have such an awful playoff drought when are they gonna make it. Oh they aren't trying to do it THE RIGHT WAY, trade now players for futures and build build build like the HF motto says.

Well bad news kids, the Coyotes tried it the conventional way and got reamed by the lottery rule changes. Adjust to the new paradigm. Chayka may flame out but he's not playing by the usual rules nor is he the type of numbers based GM people think he is.

but lets not pretend that Kuemper is an elite goalie or anything.

Darcy Kuemper has been playing like an elite goalie, whether he "is" one or not based on some metric of how long he was doing it isn't really relevant to the Coyotes at the moment. Nobody cares that we lost the #3 or #5 ranked goalie based on some list of eliteness. We care that we lost .926 level play over the last two seasons.

Did the yotes ever try Domi at center before trading him ? Why didn t it work for him there ?

Yes, it didn't work because he was bad (not just at center, he was mostly just bad that entire year)

If you ever want a fun read (don't bump it or I'll have to do something :P )
Read the Domi trade thread.
Confirmed Trade: - [MTL/ARI] Galchenyuk to Arizona, Domi to Montreal

EVERYONE was crapping on Domi, it was absurd. He really did have a bad year (people also pretended it was 2 bad years, which wasn't the case) but his rebound was extremely obvious for those with eyes to see it coming.

And just to sort of tie the Domi (see that I did there) thing back to Hall, again for people with eyes to see what's going on here Hall has not been in any sense a problem in Arizona. That the trade hasn't singlehandedly kept the team afloat is not his fault.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Not sure what the Coyotes were thinking really.

Why would Hall sign early and not test free agency?
Why would a team add an unsigned UFA for futures when they clearly aren't a contender?
I think the idea at the time was that the Coyotes were already in a good position in the standings so they wanted to give themselves a better chance of staying in that position rather than worry about the team regressing. Unfortunately it looks like both things have occurred but the Coyotes could easily win 3-4 in a row and the conversation swings back the other direction. I guess the result of this topic's premise will be contingent on how the Coyotes look on TDL-eve

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If they tried to re-sign him and couldn't then yes I think they would be stupid not to trade him.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yes, it didn't work because he was bad (not just at center, he was mostly just bad that entire year)

EVERYONE was crapping on Domi, it was absurd. He really did have a bad year (people also pretended it was 2 bad years, which wasn't the case) but his rebound was extremely obvious for those with eyes to see it coming.

And just to sort of tie the Domi (see that I did there) thing back to Hall, again for people with eyes to see what's going on here Hall has not been in any sense a problem in Arizona. That the trade hasn't singlehandedly kept the team afloat is not his fault.

Thank you for the answer regarding Domi. :)

Agreed for Hall, I believe people are mixing up correlation (here coincidence) and causality. Kuemper has been so good in the past and Raanta cannot keep up with !

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Owners may have put pressure on the GM to make the playoffs. Chayka's job was probably on the line and like it or not - job security is a higher priority than the team's future to most people.
tbh thats why every gm is extented before they get turfed

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Thank you for the answer regarding Domi. :)

Agreed for Hall, I believe people are mixing up correlation (here coincidence) and causality. Kuemper has been so good in the past and Raanta cannot keep up with !
its weird cuz raanta before now when he wasnt hurt was a good to great goalie

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its incredible how little elite talent this team has with being so bad for so long. Feel bad for the fans.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Unless they’re very high on hall, think he will be a foundational piece for them, and will be highly likely to resign- they should trade him and get some assets back.

He’s a skilled player but isn’t a core franchise player, but rather one that puts a contender over the top as a favorite as a rental.
I’d strip OEL of the C and give it to Hall, and offer him 80 million dollars.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Owners may have put pressure on the GM to make the playoffs. Chayka's job was probably on the line and like it or not - job security is a higher priority than the team's future to most people.
Chayka just was extended.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As a Canucks fan I trade a 1st for Hall any day..
For a top level forward like Hall it is going to cost your 1st + a very good prospect. Heck, Hayes returned a 1st and a good player. Of course the canucks don't have their 1st.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Zero chance they trade him as long as they are within 6-8 points from the wildcard spot by the deadline, which they will be nowhere near unless they lose out almost every game over the next 3 weeks.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Since this thread is ostensibly about Hall, we're not trading Hall. Also Chayka pushed fewer chips in than people are acting like, we don't really need to recoup all that much value in a theoretical world where the Coyotes completely fall out of it. Bahl is an extremely long term project as far as prospects go, conditionals are conditional, and the first that's going is probably gonna be pretty meh anyway.

A meh first and a project for a chance to make the playoffs for a team with an absurd drought? It was the right call all day every day. That it didn't work out tremendously doesn't reflect on the quality of the bet that was made.

It's like this site is bipolar. Oh the Coyotes have such an awful playoff drought when are they gonna make it. Oh they aren't trying to do it THE RIGHT WAY, trade now players for futures and build build build like the HF motto says.

Well bad news kids, the Coyotes tried it the conventional way and got reamed by the lottery rule changes. Adjust to the new paradigm. Chayka may flame out but he's not playing by the usual rules nor is he the type of numbers based GM people think he is.

Darcy Kuemper has been playing like an elite goalie, whether he "is" one or not based on some metric of how long he was doing it isn't really relevant to the Coyotes at the moment. Nobody cares that we lost the #3 or #5 ranked goalie based on some list of eliteness. We care that we lost .926 level play over the last two seasons.

This post is the truth.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
For a top level forward like Hall it is going to cost your 1st + a very good prospect. Heck, Hayes returned a 1st and a good player. Of course the canucks don't have their 1st.
I know that. I was responding to a post that questioned if some teams would even trade their first for Hall after how bad Arizona has been since acquiring him

Reactions: Heldig

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I never understood Hall to Arizona anyway. I think if they're out of a playoff spot at the deadline Hall probably gets moved again.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I never understood Hall to Arizona anyway. I think if they're out of a playoff spot at the deadline Hall probably gets moved again.
What's to understand? The team was very competitive but with very little offensive talent. Adding a "star" offensive player was exactly what was needed. In addition, the trade energized / excited the fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad