If the caps win the SCF, where does Holtby rank all-time among goalies?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Fleury is in the Chris Osgood territory.
Compiling wins and cups on stellar teams, but no individual hardware.

With a cup, Holtby will be somewhere in the Tim Thomas/John Vanbiesbrouck range.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I can't tell if you are undervaluing Holtby or overrating Fuhr because you didn't provide any content in your reply.
Fuhr, 868 gp, 403 wins, 5 cups, 1 Vezina, 1 Jennings, 6 time all star, NHL record for longest undefeated streak by a goalie in his first NHL season - 23, NHL record for most assists in a single season by a goaltender - 14, 87 Canada cup all star and winning goalie, 89 World cup silver medal. ranked in the top 100 players not just goalies.

Holtby , has a good amount of time left to play but as of now 361 gp, 225 wins, 1 Vezina, 1 Jennings, He was the 2nd fastest to reach 200 wins but he has the shoot out for this, 3 all star games. that's it like I said hes good but like it or not hes not 5 cups good as of right now hes no cups at all.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's still way up there compared to contemporary competition, though, right?

They still don't mean much though. He was a good enough goalie to keep his job as the starter on a team with two of the top 3 players of his generation and as such rack up a ton of wins while never being great before this year. His highest Vezina voting record was 7th. How is a guy who has never had a season as a top 5 goalie in the league going to be considered close to a top 15 in a sport that has over 100 years of history?

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Not the kind of goalie that can win games by himself. If the system is there, he flourishes, if it breaks down, he lets in softies galore. He's basically a system goalie. That being said, he's still fairly young so 2-3 top tier seasons + another Vezina/or a cup or two should catapult him to the top 20. That's a lot to ask, but he has the right pieces around him and 3-4 more years of top-tier OV/Backstrom/Oshie + Kuznetsov, so it's doable.

Right now.. probably top 50.. maybe you can make a case for top 40, but that's pushing it.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Fuhr, 868 gp, 403 wins, 5 cups, 1 Vezina, 1 Jennings, 6 time all star, NHL record for longest undefeated streak by a goalie in his first NHL season - 23, NHL record for most assists in a single season by a goaltender - 14, 87 Canada cup all star and winning goalie, 89 World cup silver medal. ranked in the top 100 players not just goalies.

Holtby , has a good amount of time left to play but as of now 361 gp, 225 wins, 1 Vezina, 1 Jennings, He was the 2nd fastest to reach 200 wins but he has the shoot out for this, 3 all star games. that's it like I said hes good but like it or not hes not 5 cups good as of right now hes no cups at all.

You're giving Fuhr credit for things he didn't accomplish. 1 of those cups he didn't play a single minute in the playoff run for. That Jennings belongs to Hasek and Buffalo could only get it because Fuhr got hurt. His GAA was awful that year. You're also punishing Holtby for still being an active player by comparing a full career's worth of statistics and accolades against a partial one's.

They each have a Vezina, and Fuhr had a substantially better roster in front of him which caused him to have more wins (slightly, somehow: 226 vs 225) and more cups by the time he was Holtby's age. It's closer than you think, and while I'm not prepared to label Holtby top 25 if he retired right after this hypothetical cup win, he could definitely be there by the time he retires. If Holtby gets a Conn Smythe somehow then he is no doubt superior to Fuhr, but that's pretty unlikely to happen.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
You're giving Fuhr credit for things he didn't accomplish. 1 of those cups he didn't play a single minute in the playoff run for. That Jennings belongs to Hasek and Buffalo could only get it because Fuhr got hurt. His GAA was awful that year. You're also punishing Holtby for still being an active player by comparing a full career's worth of statistics and accolades against a partial one's.

They each have a Vezina, and Fuhr had a substantially better roster in front of him which caused him to have more wins (slightly, somehow: 226 vs 225) and more cups by the time he was Holtby's age. It's closer than you think, and while I'm not prepared to label Holtby top 25 if he retired right after this hypothetical cup win, he could definitely be there by the time he retires. If Holtby gets a Conn Smythe somehow then he is no doubt superior to Fuhr, but that's pretty unlikely to happen.
Bud we are just going to have to agree to dis agree on this one.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Holtbeast is around top 15 all-time. Don't want to go higher or people will call me a homer
Ok...Plante, Roy, Dryden, Vezina, Price all ahead of him - and that's just a one team list. So......yes, homer, 15 is waaaaaay too high.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Considering the guy briefly lost his starting job this year, I'd hold off projecting what the next 10 years of his career will look like.....but that's just me.

Reactions: Hoek

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Not the kind of goalie that can win games by himself. If the system is there, he flourishes, if it breaks down, he lets in softies galore. He's basically a system goalie. That being said, he's still fairly young so 2-3 top tier seasons + another Vezina/or a cup or two should catapult him to the top 20. That's a lot to ask, but he has the right pieces around him and 3-4 more years of top-tier OV/Backstrom/Oshie + Kuznetsov, so it's doable.

Right now.. probably top 50.. maybe you can make a case for top 40, but that's pushing it.

WOw...so where do you think Vasy will end up? That guy is flat out amazing and only 23 years old to boot.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Where would you rank him?

What are you even asking lmaooo

Grubauer started these playoffs and I don't remember you or any other person on these boards being up in arms about it. Not sure how he goes from questionably being the best goalie on his own team to being in conversations about all-time rank because of one deep playoff run.

Let's rehash this conversation in about 10 years?

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad