If the caps win the SCF, where does Holtby rank all-time among goalies?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not high at all. Did you see how many rebounds he gave up last series? Caps fans were bashing him when they lost 3 straight, too. Now all of a sudden he's an all-timer? The shutouts were on the structure of the team in front of him and the Lightning's inability to figure it out (plus some puck luck in Game 7).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not high at all. Did you see how many rebounds he gave up last series? Caps fans were bashing him when they lost 3 straight, too. Now all of a sudden he's an all-timer? The shutouts were on the structure of the team in front of him and the Lightning's inability to figure it out (plus some puck luck in Game 7).

Can you tell me how many rebounds were given up in the playoffs by the last 10 Cup winning goaltenders?

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
He hasn't played enough to be in the all time ranking list conversation. It takes years of consistency and multiple Vezinas to be on this list.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well what if MAF wins his 3rd in a row?
This will be the first time Fleury hasn’t been a total joke throughout the entire playoffs.

The Pens won despite him in 2009
Murray won 15 of the 16 games in 2016
Fleury played in half of the playoffs in 2017 when Murray was injured

Fleury was his best in 2017 but he only played in half of the games.

This is his first impressive complete playoff performance. He’s been good in stretches in the past but he’s been amazing this season.

He is about to shut me up and I was never a huge fan of his.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Really? Even though he's 11th all time in wins, with Cups, good save % winning % compared to the others on the all time list?

NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Wins Leaders

I'm just wondering how much recency bias and other things may be factoring into these opinion based rankings.

Wins stats across era can’t be taken at face value with the lack of ties and addition of shootout wins from 2005-present.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSituation

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
This will be the first time Fleury hasn’t been a total joke throughout the entire playoffs.

This is his first impressive complete playoff performance. He’s been good in stretches in the past but he’s been amazing this season.

You can probably thank him for your 2017 Cup.

He played out of his mind in the 2nd round. I'm not sure Matt Murray wins that series for you.

Reactions: kladorf2005

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
...No. Barrasso is probably the best goalie not in the HHOF. Vezina as an 18 year old (youngest ever) followed by the Calder (youngest goalie ever). Couple of Cups with the Pens and a handful of All Star selections. Fuhr has 5 Cups, more All Star selections, and was the backstop to the Oilers dynasty. Holtby, in this hypothetical situation, has a Vezina, 2 All Star selections, and a Cup. Just not where he would place at all.

I wasn't clear in my post that I was comparing them up to their 28 year old seasons, because Holtby still has over half his career left to play out. At that age, Barrasso and Fuhr had a comparable number of wins, Vezina trophy's, All-Star selections, etc. Barrasso had one full cup run and one partial. Fuhr had 4 cups at that point but he played for a dynasty. I'm fully confident that Holtby has been plenty good enough to win four cups if he played on a team like the '80s Oilers.

Obviously if his career ended this offseason you can't rank him in the top 25 ever, but based on his play so far if he can just stay at a decently high level until his late 30s he should be able to surpass Fuhr and Barrasso without even winning another Vezina, which is more than realistic. Both Barasso and Fuhr do not have an impressive resume in the 2nd half of their careers.

Reactions: ujju2

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Holtby's a great goalie, one of the best in the league right now but he's not close to top 15 all time. Don't even think he's top 50 all time with a cup.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wins stats across era can’t be taken at face value with the lack of ties and addition of shootout wins from 2005-present.

He's still way up there compared to contemporary competition, though, right?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He's top 3 in the league right now, a cup puts him right atop at #1. But all time is a different beast altogether, it's incredibly hard to compare goalies from different eras. A win makes him the best in the league right now though imo.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017

I know. I just don't think that Holtby deserves to be in this conversation either. Plenty of goalies rank ahead of him in my mind. Fleury is one of them.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think this is actually pretty close. So far Holtby's performance has been strictly worse than Esposito's, but I put him above Barrasso and Fuhr. That would put Holtby in the 15-25 range, and personally I would lean towards the 20-25 side of it. At that point, you're ranking him against several guys that played 100 years ago, so it just depends on how you weigh this era's accolades vs that one's.
I like Holtby I really do but I'm sorry hes not any where close to Fuhr. Like not even in the same rink yet close.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I like Holtby I really do but I'm sorry hes not any where close to Fuhr. Like not even in the same rink yet close.

Same rink? Not even on the same continent at the moment. Holtby has a lot of career left so it’s impossible to say where he ends up all time. He’s not even 30 yet.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
He doesn’t, like, at all. Not even in the same solar system. He is in Curtis Joseph territory and that’s debateable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad