If the caps win the SCF, where does Holtby rank all-time among goalies?

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Holtbeast is around top 15 all-time. Don't want to go higher or people will call me a homer

Kuz

May 11, 2015
It's way to early to start taking about him all time. He havent proven his the best of his generation yet. Need a couple more vezina season to win best of his generation before you can rank him vs other generations goalies. If he can play on a high level for 7-8 years he will get the wins needed to rank high if he also is able to keep up his playoffstats where he has some of the best number all time. Get the cup done now and another later on in his career where he gets the conn and you can really start ranking him high. Possible he does that, he have had a good career so far, but need to do a lot more to be compared with the best from other gens. Just like vasilevsky. He could be one of the best goalies all time if he develops more and get even better, but for now he have the potensial do to it, but have yet to do it.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Holtbeast is around top 15 all-time. Don't want to go higher or people will call me a homer
K5NlE.gif

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston

I think this is actually pretty close. So far Holtby's performance has been strictly worse than Esposito's, but I put him above Barrasso and Fuhr. That would put Holtby in the 15-25 range, and personally I would lean towards the 20-25 side of it. At that point, you're ranking him against several guys that played 100 years ago, so it just depends on how you weigh this era's accolades vs that one's.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
That ranking is absurdly high. Cup or no cup.

Yeah I was just kidding. The whole thread seems kind of absurd. I love Holt but don't think he's ready for all-time talk yet even if they win the SCF.

I figured my post was so exaggerated it was clear it was a joke, seems to have bunched some panties

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yeah I was just kidding. The whole thread seems kind of absurd. I love Holt but don't think he's ready for all-time talk yet even if they win the SCF.

I figured my post was so exaggerated it was clear it was a joke, seems to have bunched some panties
I didn't pick up on it initially. But ya, your hyperbole was like a million times worse than mine.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think this is actually pretty close. So far Holtby's performance has been strictly worse than Esposito's, but I put him above Barrasso and Fuhr. That would put Holtby in the 15-25 range, and personally I would lean towards the 20-25 side of it. At that point, you're ranking him against several guys that played 100 years ago, so it just depends on how you weigh this era's accolades vs that one's.

...No. Barrasso is probably the best goalie not in the HHOF. Vezina as an 18 year old (youngest ever) followed by the Calder (youngest goalie ever). Couple of Cups with the Pens and a handful of All Star selections. Fuhr has 5 Cups, more All Star selections, and was the backstop to the Oilers dynasty. Holtby, in this hypothetical situation, has a Vezina, 2 All Star selections, and a Cup. Just not where he would place at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby only has 225 career wins which is 70th all time, but he's only played 361 regular season games. Brodeur is #1 with 691 wins but also FOUR TIMES as many games played. If Holtby keeps up his career pace he could take the #1 spot. More realistic is playing another 10 years and averaging 30 or so wins per season landing him around 525 wins and third behind Roy and Brodeur.

His career save % is better than most ahead of him but who knows if that stays up over time.

Winning the Cup would be another line on his resume, for now.

Reactions: ujju2

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Far too early. But absolutely around maybe Vernon or Essensa. Relatively around MAF or Barrasso. But he is steadily getting there. Just needs the wins and hardware to be anywhere near the legend tier. He does have a fair chance if he keeps the current pace

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad