If the 2003 draft were held again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Zherdev IMO would be picked slightly lower and Kastsystin slightly higher.

IMO

1) Fluery ( could drop to two)
2) Horton (Teams would know how he's playing now and realize that he'll be a star)
3) Staal
4) Kastsytsin
5) Phaneuf
6) ZHerdev
7) Michalek
8) Coburn
9) Stewart
10) Bergeron
11) Brown
12) Carter

My list may be controversial but I did this off the top of my head.

leafaholix*

1. Marc-Andre Fleury
2. Nikolai Zherdev
3. Eric Staal
4. Nathan Horton
5. Thomas Vanek
6. Milan Michalek
7. Dion Phaneuf
8. Ryan Suter
9. Braydon Coburn
10. Jeff Carter

Drop quite a bit:
- Steve Bernier
- Marc-Antointe Pouliot

Rise quite a bit:
- Zach Parise
- Anthony Stewart
- Patrice Bergeron
- Brent Burns

Last edited by a moderator:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
1) Fleury
2) Staal
3) Horton
4) Zherdev
5) Phaneuf
6) Carter
7) Michalek
8) Suter
9) Stewart
10) Bergeron
11) Coburn
12) Parise

leafaholix*

I think the whole domestic issue would still be a problem.

Him dropping to the second round wasn't based on his skills or ability on the ice... I think it was moreso based on the problems he's had in the past with his family and his psychological state.

He may actually go earlier in the second round.

leafaholix*

Nikolai Zherdev: Playing in NHL (very well).
Andrei Kastitsyn: Playing in Europe, 5th on Team Belarus in WJC scoring.

Therefore, Zherdev goes up... Kastitsyn goes down.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Nikolai Zherdev: Playing in NHL (very well).
Andrei Kastitsyn: Playing in Europe, 5th on Team Belarus in WJC scoring.

Therefore, Zherdev goes up... Kastitsyn goes down.
dont fix your mind with player stats ...
Kasty was 3rd on team belarus not 5th.. 2nd best scorer of the Tournament

Kastitsyn never struggled in any league he played from now (19 pts in 14 games CSKA-2) and 1pt in RSL in 7 games (with limited icetime)
people that saw him regulary in russia are very impressed by his play..
they compare him with a young Pavel Bure ..
Zherdev was a deception (at this year start) he was coming from a 23pts season and dropped to 4pts in 20 games ...
Then , there is the Zherdev saga and now he's performing quite well in the NHL ...
so again! don't fix your mind on stats !!
you can't judge him if you cannot see him play regulary !!
it was exactly the samething with Zherdev.. everybody looked his stats and were very disapointed in him .. but now look at him in the NHL ...
stats don't tell everything ...
and IMO the Canadians boys are overrated because they are overlooked here especially at the WJC ...
in other words you can't tell that kasty is going down if you havent seen him play yet ...
so give me a break !

leafaholix*

Kastitsyn goes from 10th overall to between 12th and 14th overall.

That's just on my list though.

august

Sep 3, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
1. Marc-Andre Fleury
2. Nikolai Zherdev
3. Eric Staal
4. Nathan Horton
5. Thomas Vanek
6. Milan Michalek
7. Dion Phaneuf
8. Ryan Suter
9. Braydon Coburn
10. Jeff Carter

Drop quite a bit:
- Steve Bernier
- Marc-Antointe Pouliot

Rise quite a bit:
- Zach Parise
- Anthony Stewart
- Patrice Bergeron
- Brent Burns

Good list. I think Coburn could drop and Kastistyn take is spot a number 9.

#37-#93-#27*

Nigel Dawes would not be a fifth round pick.
Phaneuf would be the first defenseman picked.
Bergeron and Burns would each be drafted much higher.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I am glad it isn't held again, because the Coyotes would have no chance at Tyler Redenbach, who is currently leading the WHL in scoring.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rtafts said:
I just think that Parise would be in the top 10, at least.
Over who? If you look at the draft, Fleury, Horton, Staal, Vanek, Zherdev are givens. Michalek was playing pretty well before his injury, so he'd still be there. Then there are the three defenseman, Suter and Phaneuf have been very good and Coburn still has tons of potential. I think all three d-men would still be top ten, though probably in a different order. Then there are Kostistyn and Carter who have done nothing to disapoint, especially Carter who showed great promise at the WJC with his size, speed, and skill. I think the draft would be very similar and I don't believe Parise would be in the top 13 if it were re-done. New York knew what they were getting into when they drafted Jessimen and Dustin Brown was good enough to make an L.A team so I think they'd stick with them.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kryoptix said:
in other words you can't tell that kasty is going down if you havent seen him play yet ...
so give me a break !

Curious, you seem to have no problem with people who think very highly of AK without having seen him play either.

Double standards rule!

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Curious, you seem to have no problem with people who think very highly of AK without having seen him play either.

Double standards rule!
Exactly, im not trying to fell into the hype surrounding him..
but i've never heard any bad comments about him and lots of good things .. so it's very hard to don't fell into the hype surrounding him..;)
anyway i think the best solution will be to wait until he come in the NHL..
so this why i'll keep him 10th overall.. and put him ahead of some overlooked canadians prospect...

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
go pierre hedin said:
Rise quite a bit:
- Brent Burns

#37-#93-#27 said:
Bergeron and Burns would each be drafted much higher.

Just how much higher? Burns may have impressed some in the tournament, but do you guys really think he'd go much higher than 20? There's some pretty steep talent ahead of him, and most people were _very_ surprised to see him go in the first round, predicting more of a late second/early third. I would say Burns probably would stay about the same, maybe jump a spot.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BartG101 said:
Wow. Two lists without Vanek in the top 12....

I think there are legitimate questions about his game that have developed over the past few months. His performance at this year's WJC's didn't help matters either.

Diesel

Jan 27, 2003
NJ
Visit site
Markov79 said:
What would the order be knowing what we know now? Would there be a signifigant change?

I forget who drafted where in picks 6-8, but I think Jeff Carter definitely moves into the top 10. I think he's right up there with Michalek in regards to potential.

st_roland

BartG101 said:
Wow. Two lists without Vanek in the top 12....

I think his performance at the world juniors has contributed to the impression that hes a bit of a floater, a bit of a prima donna. I get that impression too, and have dropped his draft place.

1.Staal
2.Fleury
3.Horton
4.Zherdev
5.Phaneuf
6.Michalek
7.Suter
8.Carter
9.Coburn
10.Kostitsyn
11.Parise
12.Brown
13.Seabrook
14.Vanek
15.Nilsson

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
PanthersRule said:
2) Horton (Teams would know how he's playing now and realize that he'll be a star)
Say what? To me, Horton's season has done nothing to hurt nor help his stock. He's been solid for a rookie.

#37-#93-#27*

Jacobv2 said:
Say what? To me, Horton's season has done nothing to hurt nor help his stock. He's been solid for a rookie.
I agree completely. I wasn't to crazy about him prior to the draft and am still not excited by him seeing him now.

ceber said:
Just how much higher? Burns may have impressed some in the tournament, but do you guys really think he'd go much higher than 20? There's some pretty steep talent ahead of him, and most people were _very_ surprised to see him go in the first round, predicting more of a late second/early third. I would say Burns probably would stay about the same, maybe jump a spot.
I apologize, I meant to say Dan Fritsche and got confused with Columbus and Minnesota - weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad